Hey guys,

I dont know quite how to put this, but yknow when you have a power chord in say, drop d tuning, on the top 3 strings the power chord can be played with just one finger? My problem is that i can only play these cleanly with my index and middle finger, which seriously slows me down and makes any fast riffs not sound smooth.

Any ideas how i can try to improve performing these chords with my ring finger and pinky?

Thanks
You could begin practicing them a bit with using the finger before to push down a little to help out, until you've built up the muscles or technique enouugh.
eg. If using your pinky, push down a little on your pinky with your ring finger, and then in time you'll get it
Try this exercise:

e|-----------------------|
B|-----------------------|
G|-----------------------|
D|-1-2---3-4---5-6---7-8-|
A|-1-2---3-4---5-6---7-8-|
D|-1-2---3-4---5-6---7-8-| etc

Only with your ring finger and pinky. So you play Eb5 with ring, E5 with pinky, F5 with ring, and so on. You will develop more strength on these two fingers.
I'll have to try that exercise out. I've recently started playing powerchords in drop D and I can see how that would help alot.
This is what Mike Brecker did on his EWI. But he added a rotataded chord function. Everyt time you play an C, the next programmed chord appeared. In theory you could have for instance 3 chords per note in a chromatic scale. The chords rotate when you hit the next chord. Is that doable in Logic? He did it whith the Oberheim Expander.
On question, when im doing these chords with my ring finger and pinky, does my thumb need to be in a different place to where it is when i use my index or middle finger?

thanks
Quote by ask768
On question, when im doing these chords with my ring finger and pinky, does my thumb need to be in a different place to where it is when i use my index or middle finger?

thanks

No, it'll be best to keep your thumb at the back of the neck, for speed.

I'f you can imagine playing this:..

D|-3-6-3-6---|
A|-3-6-3-6---|
E|-3-6-3-6---|

...quickly using your index finger for the 3s and your pinky for the 6s, the moving your thumb everytime you swapped fingers would be extremely clumsy and would really slow you down. Try to keep a similar hand position man, you'll get there in no time
Also that excercise posted is a very good idea!
Quote by sincerelyydavid
how do you mute the G, B, e strings (bottom three strings)? because sometimes, they ring out.

Well when I use my first finger (which you almost will do when doing some sort of power chord-based drop D riff) it barres the lowest 3 strings (D,A, and D) and lays across the other 3 strings to mute them.
When I'm using my other fingers, my first finger tends to mute these other strings still, but so does whatever finger I'm using, just to make doubley-sure
Quote by whoomit
No, it'll be best to keep your thumb at the back of the neck, for speed.

I'f you can imagine playing this:..

D|-3-6-3-6---|
A|-3-6-3-6---|
E|-3-6-3-6---|

...quickly using your index finger for the 3s and your pinky for the 6s, the moving your thumb everytime you swapped fingers would be extremely clumsy and would really slow you down. Try to keep a similar hand position man, you'll get there in no time
Also that excercise posted is a very good idea!

Ok, thanks, i jsut wanted to be sure i wasnt doing it wrong :P

I think i should be able to do them is a few days...
Hope so man, best of luck
I'll check back here now and again over the next few days incase you have any more questions.
practice using your ring and pinky
over time you will build up the strength needed

one song you can practice this on is "down with the sickness"
seeing how that song is pretty much mainly power chords
Quote by kcorkcar
practice using your ring and pinky
over time you will build up the strength needed

one song you can practice this on is "down with the sickness"
seeing how that song is pretty much mainly power chords

system of a down's BYOB highlighted this weakness for me. Ill assume ive got the hang of it when i can play the main riff/verse
Just to clarify something here. The first post said a power chord can be 3 notes. This is untrue. A regular/basic chord is 3 notes, meaning, it's no longer a power chord. What the first person described was a power chord, but it was still only 2 notes, because 2 of the notes are the same exact note... just 1 octave higher. You are playing 3 strings, but you're only playing 2 notes... the root note, and the 5th.... it's just the root is played twice.
just practice drop d power chord low down on say like the 1st 2nd and 3rd frets where it takes the most finger power to get them to sound clean but only do it with your ring or pinky fingers. Your muscles should get stronger as you practice. G'luck
Gear:

Squier Tele Custom ii (p90 version)

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S