Been playing guitar for a little over two years and would like to actually play the ****er instead of reading tabs and training my fingers to play other people's songs.

So, I need to work on my improvising. What I would like to know is if I turn on my playlist and just jam along with it, not stopping it, just playing along mess ups be damned, will my ability to play the guitar get better? Or is that just wasting time?

How is this for a practice regimen:

Jam to songs I like for approx 30 mins to whenever I feel like stopping

Improvising for 45 minutes to whenever I feel like stopping

listening to one song and trying to figure it out by pausing, etc.

Anyone have any tips as to how they advanced and what has helped you to play with your ear/getting down what you hear in your head?
You need a band !!!!! Make your own music !!!!!!!! It´s alot more fun !!!!!!!
i don't think i'm particularly amazing at guitar playing however loads of people (including strangers in gutiar shops while i'm trying out other guitars) tell me that when i improvise/make stuff up as i go along it sounds pretty good... so... what i do and have done for a good 5 years is just piss about making stuff up. doesn't sound likem uch but i've been listening to john mayer for about 7 years (love him or hate him the mans got talent) now and he completely improvises during concerts at random points and they sound REALLY cool, like he'll go from his song 'vultures' into a song (not by him) called 'cissy strut' and then off one one in a little speech then calm things down and carry on with the show. so i just learn some songs by him, some covers he's done such as cissy strut and then make stuff up in between and from that develop over time.

now he's certainly not the only musician to do such things on stage so check out youtube for bands/artists you like and see what they do during concerts and follow suit, starting simple and working your way up.

learning scales is a good idea, that way you can get a feel of what notes go with what other notes.

just take it easy, rome wasn't built in a day (as they always say)
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Download some backing tracks or drum tracks, which you can find all over the web and just jam till your fingers bleed.
Quote by sstony
Download some backing tracks or drum tracks, which you can find all over the web and just jam till your fingers bleed.

I've tried using backing tracks off youtube. They all sound the same and/or are just straight up corny so I can't get into them. I feel like I have more fun just playing along to something.

Which is my question. Does just jamming make your skills any better eventually?

Recently I've tried learning songs by ear. I seem to be having some success with power chord and open chord heavy songs. I learned an easy black sabbath solo too. Anything more complicated though and my ears can't pick out whats going down. Or how it's going down.
Well, how much do you know about theory? about technique? etc. I'm asking not to be rude but so that we can better help you out. Once you have a rock solid sense of theory, solos, and time, you'll be able to improv a lot better.
Once you have a good study of solos, improv, etc. you're right, the youtube instrumentals are lame. They sound like they were recorded using a casio keyboard, and don't help. I like your idea of playing with your songs, but I think you should check out some more advanced instrumentals. Steve Vai has a lot of his tracks that he's released without his solos, which will allow you you improv. These are a bit more advanced, so we'll have to know your playing level first! How much do you know about theory, solos, etc.
Check out jayninevideolessons.wordpress.com
Online Video Guitar lessons, ebooks, and so on. This above blog is how you may contact me for more information, or email me at jayninelessons@gmail.com
Quote by rhoads4ever
Well, how much do you know about theory? about technique? etc. I'm asking not to be rude but so that we can better help you out. Once you have a rock solid sense of theory, solos, and time, you'll be able to improv a lot better.
Once you have a good study of solos, improv, etc. you're right, the youtube instrumentals are lame. They sound like they were recorded using a casio keyboard, and don't help. I like your idea of playing with your songs, but I think you should check out some more advanced instrumentals. Steve Vai has a lot of his tracks that he's released without his solos, which will allow you you improv. These are a bit more advanced, so we'll have to know your playing level first! How much do you know about theory, solos, etc.

Admittedly, i don't know much theory, though not from lack of trying. I learned the box shapes of the minor pentatonic scale and screwed around with that for a little bit, but found trying to remember the patterns was hindering me(instead of just playing, I was too focused on trying to remember a shape), so i let it fall by the wayside.

I tried to start from the beginning with theory and learn the intervals, but it's way over my head. and gives me a fairly large headache. i could literally read a thousand articles on intervals and never walk away enlightened on the subject.

i don't want to be a technical guitarist and blaze through a trillion notes, but i would like to be able to play decently fast and make it sound good as well as killer rhythm. a lot of my favorite guitarists, I'm fairly certain are not theory oriented, so it gives me hope that i don't need to go that route.

thanks for the replies
Learn some scales (especially the major scale). How to construct chords, and make chord progressions. Then get a loop pedal.
I think you'd be surprised at how much your favorite guitarist actually knew. You don't have to be a music major, but understanding basic scales and chord theory will help your improv and jamming a lot.
For some reason, recently I've found a lot of people who ran away from theory because they didn't want to be "too technical" when it's really not the same thing! Look at Toni Iommi (I use as an example because you mentioned a Black Sabbath song) He really only uses a few different scales, but because he has those NAILED he is able to come up with a bunch of different ideas.
Check out jayninevideolessons.wordpress.com
Online Video Guitar lessons, ebooks, and so on. This above blog is how you may contact me for more information, or email me at jayninelessons@gmail.com
Learn some patterns to apply to scalar pasages. Learn some scales.

Purchase a drum machine or some other rhythmic device such as a metronome.

**** Make sure you know the rhythm part to what you are jamming to. Not knowing the underlying chordal structure is playing blindfolded.

Just mess around on your guitar and try to make cool sounds.

Peace.
the key to good improvising is a good ear. honestly, if you have that, theory or not, you'll do fine. theory makes it easier to improvise (and compose, most certainly), but it can be done without if absolutely necessary.

i still think you'd be better off learning it, though. the thing is that once you really understand even the basics of theory, you understand so much more of what you're doing, and you can get a lot out of a little. take one major scale for instance. say you want to write 100 songs with that one major scale. think of all the possible melodies you could make with one 7-note scale. imagine how many more you can make when you know what notes will sound good when changed.

the key to IMPROVING your improvising, though, is awareness. don't just noodle around randomly on your guitar, up and down a few scales. really take your time and think about what you're doing. think about the structure of the melodies you're playing. think about how they fit the song. just be aware of what you're doing. that's the secret.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by SWAS
Learn some scales (especially the major scale). How to construct chords, and make chord progressions. Then get a loop pedal.

I'm planning on buying a loop pedal. Don't have many jamming buddies so i could really use a looper for the rhythm. I own a digitech rp 150 processor along with a decent WAH, so im not looking for something too expensive or with many options.. I have a few softwares that'll let me playback the rhythm on different channels but it's very annoying having to use the laptop time and again.. i'd rather invest in a loop pedal..

What do you recommed.. my budget is a around 70-80$. Would I be able to get anything decent with that ?