Is it fine to have the thumb rest perpendicular(thumb pointing toward the headstock) to the neck of the guitar? I've only been playing for a week now and I assumed the way I was playing was fine as long as my thumb didn't rest over the top of the guitar and my hand,wrist, and fingers were up and over the neck. My camera's flash is broken so unfortunately I can't take any pictures of my left hand position.
Last edited by Fj785 at Jun 10, 2010,
don't know
i wouldn't do it, because you can not put a lot of presure on your fingers
best for strenght is to have your thumb between your index and middle finger
with different chords, your thumb will need to be in different positions, so don't keep you thumb stationary all the time, because it will be harder to play things. And it's what ever is comfortable for you to use, i don't think there is a right or wrong way to place the thumb. Also having the thumb placed over the top of the neck is a good way to mute the low E string when you don't want it to ring out when it is accidentally hit.
i've recently changed the way I put my thumb behind the neck and do it like you are with my thumb pointing to the headstock, this is much more comfortable for me when im playing do to my really long fingers, i notice my fingers are much more accurate that way
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
In general, the thumb should be right behind the middle finger. That is best on a classical or acoustic, especially for single note playing. There are times when the thumb needs to go at an angle, depending on what the fingers are doing.

There is no one overall position the thumb stays in, because its main job is to perfectly balance what the fingers are doing, meaning, how and where they are applying pressure. So really, the more complex your playing is, the more variable your thumb will be in its positioning.

I have to say though, and I have been playing classical guitar for 40 years, I don't think I ever have my thumb perpendicular to the strings pointing toward the headstock! That is a very weak position, causes lots of problems, especially if you do a shift like that!