I searched and nothing came up, also I don't think this belongs in the videogame thread because technically this is not a videogame. Ok now that thats out of the way.

So last night my friend sent me this and just told me to shut up and watch it. I advise that you do the same before hitting the post reply button.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_MqZn7E-mk

Out of curiosity I looked into this a little, apparently this trailer is just a pitch specifically to Warner Bros in the hopes that they will buy the idea and thus make it into a movie. Considering how high the view count is for this, that the company responsible for MK called Midway closed up shop about a month or so ago, and the fact that remakes are so popular right now, this is more than likely to happen.

Now with all respect, this is exactly what a remake should be, one that isn't afraid to take the piss out of itself and thus start something new and completely original. Unlike these other remakes of today which just tell the same exact story as before but with better special effects.

With that in mind I also have no problem if a series is trying to reinvent itself, and in the case of MK, this looks like a positive step forward. Considering that the previous MK games were about a bunch of guys fighting in a tournament to defend the world from something, this new concept takes it in a new direction that seems much more fitting for todays audience. Not only that but it looks like the gore factor has been seriously ramped up for this and thus is getting more serious. Also I really like what they did with Scorpion and Baraka on this.

So yeah, what does the pit think of this, I thought it was worthy of discussion.

Also another side note, I found somewhere else from an unofficial source that they might make a videogame based on this. And if they do they are gonna push for a M (mature) rating as opposed to all the other MK's which were always T (teen) rating
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
Last edited by RazorTheAwesome at Jun 10, 2010,
I was going to post a similar thread later. I think it looks like it could make an awesome film. Unfortunately when the first films were released in the 90's the cgi wasn't there to put them up to standard with the games and now if they did a film in the same style it would look too cheesey. I think a reinvention with it more about an underground fighting tournement with people like reptile and baraka as random psychos would be much more up to date. It does mean some characters like raiden and sub zero will have to be tweaked to fit into the plot and others like goro wont work at all (not that that's a bad thing).

Hopefully it will get made though, should be awesome
Yeah I saw this yesterday. Looks like they have a pretty decent idea going. It is interesting how they made everyone have "mortal" qualities and have removed themselves from the nether realm/ "immortale" aspect that have been with the prior movies.

If the movie is anything like the trailor it should be good. Ground breaking, probably not but good non the less.
"Helo Darkness, my old friend, I've come to talk with you again."
- Simon and Garfunkel

"Just call my name, 'cause I'll hear you scream! Master! Master!"
- Metallica

"Hold my breath as I wish for death. Oh please God, wake me!"
- Metallica
Also with regards to the game the wiki post (most reliable source) says they want to make it Mature rating, bordering on Adult only. Which again would be very good, as the last few games, have been really poor. Come to think of it, pretty much every 3D MK game sucked in my opinion.
why would it be a good idea for a movie star to work undercover?
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Just watched the video. I seriously hope that WB takes the concept and makes it.
They made Reptile a Harlequin baby? What the ****.
I stood before the glittery borders of new radius In search of the fabled city of mud and crushed velvet, What I found was a gutter where the love of entertainment Meets the lust for blood and demerits.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
I searched and nothing came up

really? cuz I searched "Mortal Kombat" and my thread was the first thing that popped up

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1323525&highlight=mortal+kombat

but ya it does seem like an interesting idea.. I just don't have faith in the director. have you seen his previous work?
Quote by Wikipedia.org
These nouns are often used with a form of "to be" rather than "to have," e.g., "he is pwnage" rather than "he has pwnage". Either is a more emphatic way of expressing the simpler "he pwns,"
I'm interested. Not optimistic, but interested. This could potentially be entertaining, unlike the last Mortal Kombat movies.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
..That dude's door sign says Jackson Briggs
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by shattamakar
..That dude's door sign says Jackson Briggs

Yeah, it's the name of a character. I think they are trying to make each of them more human.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
is this a game or a movie LOL
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
Jacks was that black dude with a metal arm right?

And this film looks ****in awesome.
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Quote by GaijinFoot
Yeah, it's the name of a character. I think they are trying to make each of them more human.

No I get that.

It's written Jacks on Briggs.

Oh and I'll just leave this here.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Last edited by shattamakar at Jun 10, 2010,
Quote by Wylde_Guitarist
really? cuz I searched "Mortal Kombat" and my thread was the first thing that popped up

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1323525&highlight=mortal+kombat

but ya it does seem like an interesting idea.. I just don't have faith in the director. have you seen his previous work?

hmm.... that didn't come up when I searched. Oh well

anyway, Goro actually sounds like an easy character to pull off in this sense

all you need is a giant guy with two extra arms sewn onto him Frankenstein style. But yeah I see what you all are saying

im more curious to see what they do with the other characters, especially Liu Kang, wasn't he always the main character in MK?

edit:
^^^
@ Rojam
and yes Jacks was the guy with the robot arms
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
^He had two metal arms and purple spandex pants. And yes.

EDIT: I guess that's why they call you Razor The Awesome
Quote by AlecMag
I love that song! You are god for putting it into a poem

Quote by LadyHellRaiser
Your hair is fckin epic, dude!!!

LOVE IT!!!!

Quote by rmr024
no ****in way!
I don't even know you but I think I love you...

So awesome.

I hate my fucking username.
Supposedly it's just a promotion for the new game.

:l
I stood before the glittery borders of new radius In search of the fabled city of mud and crushed velvet, What I found was a gutter where the love of entertainment Meets the lust for blood and demerits.
cant turn out that bad, i mean, Jhonny cage dies!!!

but, im not sure i like the idea...how are most of the charecters going to work? i mean, going from the obvious ones that where mentioned but not shown (or shown fighting)

-Scorpion - hows he gonna do the classic "GET OVER HERE!!"? its not scorpion, OR mortal kombat without that
-Sub Zero - ice stuff? all i can think of is some machine for his arms
-Reptile - is he just a deformed psyco, or will Signiture moves be involved?

and aside from this, where the hell is lu kang (cant remember how to spell)]

im just going with the "its a movie based on a game, it will probably suck bad and im not getting my hopes up, but ill watch it considering i love the game"
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
There was only one reason to play Mortal Kombat: gore. And I think they've done pretty well with the gore-factor.
I'm a big Mortal Kombat fan, but I really love this realistic approach. Took a few watches to get used to it though
Quote by CaptainBumout
Supposedly it's just a promotion for the new game.

:l

I don't see how these two are related, in a case like this, one cannot promote the other because they are two entirely different concepts now

Quote by Guitarman015

EDIT: I guess that's why they call you Razor The Awesome

and why do you say that?
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
I think it looks somewhat retarded.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
I don't see how these two are related, in a case like this, one cannot promote the other because they are two entirely different concepts now

Supposedly it is, no confirmation obviously at the moment, but in a way it makes sense that this would be some smart pitch to sell from a game company just because it seems a little coincidental.

I really hope it's not though, because it looks JAWESOME.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome

and why do you say that?

Beat me to the punch on the Jax question. Maybe I should've put emphasis on the awesome...
Quote by AlecMag
I love that song! You are god for putting it into a poem

Quote by LadyHellRaiser
Your hair is fckin epic, dude!!!

LOVE IT!!!!

Quote by rmr024
no ****in way!
I don't even know you but I think I love you...

So awesome.

I hate my fucking username.
Looks totally bitchin'.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Guitarman015
Beat me to the punch on the Jax question. Maybe I should've put emphasis on the awesome...

its cool man don't worry
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by RazorTheAwesome

im more curious to see what they do with the other characters, especially Liu Kang, wasn't he always the main character in MK?

I think what their going to do is show him in the tournament, and Scorpion is going to somehow recruit him. Or Jax will realize that Scorpion is a loose cannon cop who doesn't play by the rules and trys to get Liu Kang to defeat Scorpion.

Either way, I'm definitely seeing this one.
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
hmm.... that didn't come up when I searched. Oh well

anyway, Goro actually sounds like an easy character to pull off in this sense

all you need is a giant guy with two extra arms sewn onto him Frankenstein style. But yeah I see what you all are saying

edit:
^^^
@ Rojam
and yes Jacks was the guy with the robot arms

agreed, if they can make the other characters psycho, they can easily pull off goro.
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
Quote by Rojam
I think what their going to do is show him in the tournament, and Scorpion is going to somehow recruit him. Or Jax will realize that Scorpion is a loose cannon cop who doesn't play by the rules and trys to get Liu Kang to defeat Scorpion.

Either way, I'm definitely seeing this one.

I imagined Liu as the kind of normal guy who enters the tournament for non specific revenge. You know how it is with those kinds of guys. In his case it would probably involve Kung Lao somehow

either way he is in the tournament for his own reasons and has no connection to Jax or Scorpion.

The best person to play him would probably be the guy who played Raizo in Ninja Assassin

this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY6m4u7jrWo
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
I'm a huge fan of mortal kombat. Making Baraka into some sort of engineered doctor ninja is retarded, making Reptile a harlequin-baby grown up is seriously ****ing retarded. I don't know how they are going to explain Sub-Zero, but I'm sure it will be mega-retarded. They should have stuck with the magic angle -- this whole pseudo-realism thing is not what Mortal Kombat is about. It's just dumb.

Quote by darkcheef
Horrible, they wont have my favorite character. The Tiger version of Goro.

Kintaro.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Last edited by Vornik at Jun 10, 2010,
How could they go off and kill Johnny Cage?!? Wasn't he like the most mortal of them all originally? And now he's dead in the movie that makes everyone explainable >_>

EDIT: Scorpion FTW!!
This is my signature... And yes this is the most original thing... ever.
Gear:
Guitars
Epiphone Dot
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG2EX1

Amps
Roland Cube 30X

Pedals
DOD FX25-B Envelope Filter
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Big Muff Pi
Last edited by TrP6 SeNiLe at Jun 10, 2010,
Quote by link no1

-Reptile - is he just a deformed psyco, or will Signiture moves be involved?

'Reptile's Fatalities in Mortal Kombat II consist of revealing his reptilian face in order to devour the opponent's head'

It states in the video that he freezes the head and eats it at a later time so in a way signature moves will be in there

I like the look of it hope it gets picked up
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
It's not being made apparently. I kinda agree with Vornik, I don't like them trying to make it all realistic (magic ftw). Still, damn franchise needs a reboot desperately (anyone who's played Armageddon should agree). Other than the realism thing, it looked pretty awesome and well made. And had Seven of Nine in. 'Tis a shame.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde