So I want a new neck pickup for my Gibson Les Paul Studio. I play mostly 70's and 80's rock (Boston, Van Halen, Rush, etc). I have an EVH Frankenstien in the bridge position, and a stock pickup in the neck slot, but I would like to get a different tone out of my guitar. I've heard Seymour Duncan's "pearly gates" may work nicely. I would like it to cost under $120 USD if at all possible.

Thanks!

PS, I'm not sold on a humbucker pickup either, it could be a single coil if it sounds great for the right price.
"How to fly: Hurl yourself at the ground and miss."
-Douglas Adams
Pround member of the Motley Crue club.
Last edited by BB6 at Jun 10, 2010,
Whoops, yes I mean p-90, my bad.
"How to fly: Hurl yourself at the ground and miss."
-Douglas Adams
Pround member of the Motley Crue club.
What's your amp and what is your actual playing style? Lead? Rhythm? Do you need a good clean tone over a good distorted tone, vice-versa or do you want them balanced? What do you define good tone as? It's quite impossible to properly recommend a pickup if we don't know how you're going to use it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The Pearly Gates is just a tad gritty and sounds good for the style you're currently playing... but until you tell us a little more about what you're looking for in a neck pickup none of us can say which one to recommend.

I've got a SD '59 zebra coil in my Flying V in the neck position, it's a fairly clean pickup with a little less grit than a Pearly Gates. It's got a lot of bass and it's *slightly* muddy but overall a good sounding pickup. Playing through high gain it sounds a lot like the rhythm section underneath the solo in Pantera's Mouth for War. I have no idea what you're looking for in a neck pickup but that's the overall sound profile for the SD '59 in neck position
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Jun 10, 2010,