my amp has distortion settings? its a vox valvetronix 15 watt. it has a bunch of effects like wah and phaser and distortion, but i dont think theyre as good as a dedicated pedal.. should i buy the boss MT-2 if my amp already has distortion? or just stick with my amp? im playing a lot of metal
that depends, if you like the sound of the amp dist then no, if you dont like it, or you think you want another type of dist then yes. You could always buy a wah, or... i don't really know what effects are use in metal, sorry
Quote by TheCrowing3112
my amp has distortion settings? its a vox valvetronix 15 watt. it has a bunch of effects like wah and phaser and distortion, but i dont think theyre as good as a dedicated pedal.. should i buy the boss MT-2 if my amp already has distortion? or just stick with my amp? im playing a lot of metal

Well, if you're satisfied with that distortion then you really dont need a pedal but if your looking for something specific then I would go with a distortion pedal for whatever kind of music you're going for. Typically presets in solid state amps sound sort of shrill compared to the deep throaty crunch of a boss metalzone. But, the only thing holding you back from all out metal is your wattage. I had a 15 watt a few years ago and when I finally got something substantial I was blown away by how I could feel my riffs for the first time on 3. When or if you build a pedal board use the clean channel on your amp.
well im only 16, and i go back and forth between my parents houses. I dont play gigs, i just jam along to songs and such. when i move out, ill buy a stack or something, but for now 15 is all i can really do with.

So i should buy the MT-2? I play rock and metal, thats about it right now. killswitch engage, parkway drive, stuff like that.
no one should buy a Metal Zone for any reason . a pedal in your case would probably yield better distortion tones if you run it thru the clean sound on your amp. i'd recommend either a Electro Harmonix Metal Muff of the Digitec Hardwire metal pedal over the MZ. if you're on a budget the deltalab MD-1 is pretty good for the money.
Most distortion pedals are designed to run into the front end of tube amps. With a modeling amp like that Vox, I would expect a MT-2 (that's a Metalzone, right?) to sound just this side of craptacular. But I will admit that I've never actually tried that particular combination - I'm just going on long experience here.

With modelers like that Vox you pretty much just have to stick with the distortions offered by the amp.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
I wouldn't bother. With solid state amps with built in distortion, the only reason I'd bother with a distortion pedal is if you had to switch between distortion and clean live, but since you're not gigging, its not really a problem.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
yeah you guys are right.. i can actually buy a vox footswitch cuz the pedal has 2 channels. ill just have to learn what a good distortion sound is for this amp.

its half solid state have tube as well though..
forget asbout the metal zone for your amp .

if you wanna help getting metal tone . i have a electro harmonix nano metal muff ( cover the basic of the metal muff without the top boost .. but has the scooped seeting . ) that i dont use at all . i could sell it like 30 $ and does a great job . Im just trying to get rid of it .

i simply dont use it anymore as i use my amp distortion its in brand new condition i bought it new for 72 $ last year .

good for metal . and for 30 $ you cant go wrong .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Quote by Skysc
forget asbout the metal zone for your amp .

if you wanna help getting metal tone . i have a electro harmonix nano metal muff ( cover the basic of the metal muff without the top boost .. but has the scooped seeting . ) that i dont use at all . i could sell it like 30 $ and does a great job . Im just trying to get rid of it .

i simply dont use it anymore as i use my amp distortion its in brand new condition i bought it new for 72 $ last year .

good for metal . and for 30 $ you cant go wrong .

what exactly is it? and you'd have to ship to canada.
dont bother putting a pedal infront of your amp. the distortions in the vt15 are good enough to get you through jamming along to songs (though it is important NOT to crank the gain all the way up, that results in murkyness). adding a distortion pedal (even a good one) is not going to make your amp into a fire-breathing monster. also, never buy a MT-2, they just dont sound very good. ever.

save your money for a while, maybe upgrade your guitar or set your sights on a different amp. there's really no use investing money in a begginer rig
i agree with the post above ...

a pedal wouldnt help much .. but might help .. but usually running a pedal into a modeller = shit . but it might help also if you run into the clean channel .

For a while i have use pedla in front of POD and v-amp and when i set up to high gain model . i would turn down the gain of the POd and take the gain from the pedal .. the sound was far better . so it can help ...

either plug thje pedla into a clean channel or ... try different high gain amp and lower the gian and turn up the pedal gain . usually its better .

im in canada by the way . montreal .

im not at all trying to push a sale here .. i havent listed it yet and im not rush .

im jsut saying that if you need one ... i could sell it for 30 $
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jun 10, 2010,
Quote by psychoskin473
Well, if you're satisfied with that distortion then you really dont need a pedal but if your looking for something specific then I would go with a distortion pedal for whatever kind of music you're going for. Typically presets in solid state amps sound sort of shrill compared to the deep throaty crunch of a boss metalzone. But, the only thing holding you back from all out metal is your wattage. I had a 15 watt a few years ago and when I finally got something substantial I was blown away by how I could feel my riffs for the first time on 3. When or if you build a pedal board use the clean channel on your amp.

no. no. no.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
well i have a jackson DKMGT and a Gibson Explorer, theyre both very nice 1000$ guitars. I wish i could get a stack or something now, but i have to wait a while. thanks guys, im just going to buy a footswitch and use this amp for now.
The MT-2's pretty good if you take the time to EQ it well.

Just a note, since it seems you've decided against it - but if you do get it, or any sort of gear for that matter, ebay and craigs list are your friends. Save yourself ridiculous amounts of money that way - None of the pedals in my pedalboard were bought at full price. The entire thing cost me half as much as it would buying them new.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I vote Digitech Hardwire metal distortion.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
you will hear a lot of criticism of the metalzone on this site.

i don't know why, i have one and find it very versatile and a good range of distortion and tone.

try it out before you buy.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Well i just want a good chunky metal sound, for heavy metal songs. Im not sure if my amp does me justice, but maybe..

Skysc, what exactly does it do?