Hi, everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new electric guitar for recording covers and songs I write in my bedroom studio (i.e. all my gear is in close quarters) and the occasional gigging. My taste leans toward Coldplay, John Mayer, The Killers, Muse, Train, Secondhand Serenade, and AAR; I've also been known to try to incorporate rock band elements into orchestral pieces I write and sample at home...

I'm currently looking at a Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro (HB with coil tapping), Fender Stratocaster HSS (Single, Single, Humbucker, HB with no tone control), Fender Telecaster Deluxe (with humbuckers), Epiphone Dot (humbuckers), and Epiphone Wildkat (P90). Which of these would be the best for me? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? The cheaper the better, I'm on a relatively low budget...

Thanks!

EDIT: I've also started looking at the Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, which has coil-tapping. I figure it'd let me get the best of both (singlecoil/humbucker) worlds. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?
Last edited by Lencias at Jun 30, 2010,
i would think a telecaster deluxe would suit most of those alright
signed,
your favorite poster
I would second the Tele Deluxe. It is pretty much 'the' all-round Mr. Average, tonally balanced guitar, which is what you seem to be after.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
strat or tele for sure. those two are the most versatile.
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
Go for the Strat. Mayer obviously uses one, and I find they are better for lead than Teles, I play Muse quite a bit and it works well for that, though the Mexican ones are a bit hit and miss so maybe look for an American or Asian one that's cheap.
Fender Lite Ash Strat MIK
Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube
Vox AD30VT
Little Big Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by Lencias
Hi, everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new electric guitar for recording covers and songs I write in my bedroom studio (i.e. all my gear is in close quarters) and the occasional gigging. My taste leans toward Coldplay, John Mayer, The Killers, Muse, Train, Secondhand Serenade, and AAR; I've also been known to try to incorporate rock band elements into orchestral pieces I write and sample at home...

I'm currently looking at a Fender Stratocaster Standard (single coils), Fender Telecaster Deluxe (with humbuckers), Epiphone Dot (humbuckers), and Epiphone Wildkat (P90). Which of these would be the best for me? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? The cheaper the better, I'm on a relatively low budget...

Thanks!

to answer, i'd have to know what amp you're using.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by necrosis1193
I second the tele deluxe, though, fi you're willing to try it our first, give this a whirl, I think you may quite like it;

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/all/sICF09001509/
To add to that, Fender do make a (non-signature) Tele Deluxe with P-90 pickups, as do Squier. They also make a Tele Deluxe with a Strat-style vibrato and they've started making a Thinline Deluxe which is semi-hollow.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I've heard the Dot is also rather versatile? Does anyone have any experience with that?

And the FEnder Telecaster THinline... I haven't heard much about it... and really only the Squier one is in my budget range....

In terms of amp, I'm ampless for now, just going to DI into my interface and use Guitar Rig...
the dot is quite versitile, but the strat and tele are better all around guitars

im gonna suggest that you look into G&L tribute ASAT's (tele's) or Legacy (strat). the ASAT has some really cool tones on tap and it cuts through a mix really well (also, that crap people say about tele's being thin? try one of these... its not thin at all), that being said, its a tele and it wont appeal to every body.

i think your best bet will be a G&L tribute legacy. they start pretty cheap, like $500 ish, and have some pretty awesome touches; G&L's pickups (think really good fender pickups), massive bridge unit for sustain, PTB independant passive bass/treble cut control, good quality wood and a nice finish. i've also found G&L's playability to be vastly superior to fenders (even though the tributes are made by cort in Korea, they are made to a very high standard). i simply think that the G&L's are superior to fenders in every possible way and they are also more versitile than the dot or the wildcat
i think my MIA tele deluxe does those types of bands quite well but i rarely ever use it for that. either a strat or tele will work fine. the SS or SSS styles of the tele and strat (respectfully) will work fine. Pickup a classic series if you're a little strapped for cash, or a true blue MIA if you've got 800-1000 dollars.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
the reason i asked about the amp was because if your amp is a one note, then it doesn't really matter what type of guitar you put in front of it.

i guess if you don't really have an amp right now, then let me ask, what guitar are you using?

what specific budget? and are you planning on buying an amp in the future?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I've got a Wildkat. It's a great guitar but, like the Dot, not really suitable for the stuff you're doing. Either of the Fenders would be perfect.

Surprised no-one had suggested a Schecter or Dean with EMGs? ha ha ha
Quote by AlexAngus
I've got a Wildkat. It's a great guitar but, like the Dot, not really suitable for the stuff you're doing. Either of the Fenders would be perfect.

Surprised no-one had suggested a Schecter or Dean with EMGs? ha ha ha

They made the Flamekat, which would Suit him, Mini new york humbuckers.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
I would say the Strat and a stacked humbucker at the bridge, or even better a Tele Deluxe. I would suggest a bridge pickup swap for something a with a little more output for Muse and such, but I wouldn't go with a Nailbomber or anything. You can always roll down the volume for better cleans with it, too.

edit: I should also mention there's a Tele Deluxe with a tremolo. That sounds perfect for you.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Last edited by Pink Muse at Jun 12, 2010,
I was considering the Strat HSS but noticed that it doesn't allow for any sort of tone control on the bridge humbucker. Does this matter/should this discourage me?
Quote by Lencias
I was considering the Strat HSS but noticed that it doesn't allow for any sort of tone control on the bridge humbucker. Does this matter/should this discourage me?

No you shouldn't. IMO, the the control is pretty useless. The volume control is much more useful.
If you still want it you can always learn to mod the wiring yourself. Not exactly rocket science you know.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by Lencias

this is the way i would go.
when playing mayer, i very very very very very rarely use the bridge pickup; always neck or middle or both. ocassionally ill go for middle and bridge, but never bridge on its own.

having a humbucker in bridge allow you to tackle the heavier muse, aar, and secondhand serenade (i assume - i dont listen to aar or ss but i imagine they have SOME amount of 'heavy') without your sound coming out overly thin or twangy.
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
I've also started looking at the Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, which has coil-tapping. I figure it'd let me get the best of both (singlecoil/humbucker) worlds. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?
itll be alright for stuff you want humbuckers for, but in my experience, coil tapping still doesnt quite give you the same tone as just a straight single coil. however, ive only used coil tapping in mahogany bodied guitars that were medium to thick (in body width).

regardless, i would advise heading for something with an alder (or something similar) body based on the artists you listed - as i suggested/concurred with before, the hss strat

what is your current setup though? it might be redundant for you to get a new guitar
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Oops. Haven't visited in a while...

I currently don't have an electric... so I'm looking for the most versatile option possible to cover my needs.
yeah, either thin line tele or strat with a humbucker in the bridge.
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
I say from experience that the Tele Deluxe is quite versatile. You MIGHT want to change out the pots from 250k to 500k to brighten and open up the tone a bit. I've been very happy with mine stock so far, but I'm probably going to look into getting this done to open up the tone a bit. However, stock it is very, very smooth, very nice. Gets a nice clean on the neck as well.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray