So when I got my XXX combo, I was pleasantly surprised with the tones I was able to get out of it. I still am. But it has this weird thing (always has) that makes the treble knobs on the Crunch and Ultra almost unusable. It is VERY responsive, and turning it up past 3 gives you a very thin, fizzy tone. Keeping it at around 2 is what putting an Orange Rocker 30's treble at 7 is sounds like.

This has never been an issue for me, as the sounds I am able to get out of this amp are, IMO, beautifully clear and heavy, just what I want in a distortion tone. But the troubling thought has occurred to me that there might be a defect in the amp, one that would limit my ability to explore more tones later on down the road. Can anybody shed some light on this?

If it helps, everything in it is stock (except for the speakers, a Hellatone 60 and Celestion v12-60), meaning that I still have the 6l6 tubes in it.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
The XXX and JSX have active EQ controls, meaning that adjusting one of them affects all the others.

You might just be struggling with that.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I thought that as well. But the thing is, I have my bass up around 6 or 7, and the mids at around 3-6 (depending on what channel I'm using and what I was feeling on doing that particular day). So, if the EQ controls affect on another, wouldn't the bass at 7 and the treble at 2 give for a really thick, muddy sound? I may be completely wrong and just retarded though.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by bubb_tubbs
The XXX and JSX have active EQ controls, meaning that adjusting one of them affects all the others.
No, the bands in active EQs like in the XXX are independent and have a very large range. Traditional tonestack bands affect eachother. I think you got the two mixed up.
You might just be struggling with that.

But yeah, it definitely takes some getting used to if you've always had traditional tonestacks.
Quote by kumamilesbear
I thought that as well. But the thing is, I have my bass up around 6 or 7, and the mids at around 3-6 (depending on what channel I'm using and what I was feeling on doing that particular day). So, if the EQ controls affect on another, wouldn't the bass at 7 and the treble at 2 give for a really thick, muddy sound? I may be completely wrong and just retarded though.

It should. If I put my mids and treble that low and my bass that high on my 333, it will get muddy. Thick, not so sure. Try the tried and true "moar midz" approach.
I generally run my 333 like this:
Treble: 5
Mids: 8
Bass: 5
Dampening: loose.

If I want thicker tone, or tighter tone, I adjust the bass accordingly. For smoother tone, I lower treble by about 1.

ps: in case you don't know, the 333 is a XXX clone, so this should give similar results.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Last edited by Kanthras at Jun 10, 2010,
Quote by Kanthras

It should. If I put my mids and treble that low and my bass that high on my 333, it will get muddy. Thick, not so sure. Try the tried and true "moar midz" approach.
I generally run my 333 like this:
Treble: 5
Mids: 8
Bass: 5
Dampening: loose.

But the fact is, it doesn't Having my controls on those settings gives me a very nice rhythm sound that works equally well for leads at the same time :/
If I were to try my settings like yours, it would give me a very harsh and thin sound. Imagine a DS1 with the distortion on it cranked, with the tone knob at like 2 o'clock.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by kumamilesbear
But the fact is, it doesn't Having my controls on those settings gives me a very nice rhythm sound that works equally well for leads at the same time :/
If I were to try my settings like yours, it would give me a very harsh and thin sound. Imagine a DS1 with the distortion on it cranked, with the tone knob at like 2 o'clock.

Wut? Are you saying "moar midz" isn't working?

Maybe this is something with the speakers or something?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
Wut? Are you saying "moar midz" isn't working?

Maybe this is something with the speakers or something?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying xD

That's a definite possibility. The speakers are quite broken in though. I won't discount them as a factor though.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by kumamilesbear
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying xD

That's a definite possibility. The speakers are quite broken in though. I won't discount them as a factor though.

And the resonance is set to "loose"? Aside from that and speakers, maybe try a different combination of channel vol/master vol. That can have some effect on tone. Not very drastic, though.

It's possible the XXX combo speakers are particularly trebly, maybe a Peavey fanboy could clarify.

Weird though, "moar midz" usually works. How about bias? And the age of the tubes?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

I've come to the conclusion that lowering the channel volume and boosting the master makes it harsher ><

As to the bias and tube age, I have no god damned clue. I got the amp used. All I know is that the stock speakers were bad, so I changed them out for the speakers in my old amp (a Peavey Ranger 212 that sorta, umm, well, broke).
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
cheap amps have cheap EQ's.

usually a heavy production line amp like peavey wont put much consideration into how the EQ works for the player, and they become very difficult to tweak just right. you'll get there eventually, but there is really only one sweet spot to every person, whereas a high end or boutique amp is the opposite way. with my rig i can blindly turn knobs and find something new and amazing each time; i honestly do this when im bored for some entertainment actually.
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
Quote by kumamilesbear
I've come to the conclusion that lowering the channel volume and boosting the master makes it harsher ><
Yup, that sounds about right!
I keep master as low as I can, hehe.
As to the bias and tube age, I have no god damned clue. I got the amp used. All I know is that the stock speakers were bad, so I changed them out for the speakers in my old amp (a Peavey Ranger 212 that sorta, umm, well, broke).

Could be your problem. If you have a bias probe around, you could do a quick bias check. If you have a spare set of tubes, that would be even better.
I'm not sure if Peavey rebrands their tubes, but you could probably identify if the tubes are originals. Possible you could determine their age with a date code of the amp or something (again, we're probably gonna need a Peavey fanboy for this). Well, chances are the tubes are pretty much done for if they're originals either way.
How long have you had the amp, btw?

@iheartmy7: I don't think the EQ is the problem here..
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Last edited by Kanthras at Jun 10, 2010,
i beg to differ. i used to own a XXX and couldnt do much but keep everything at noon. it may not be as much of a problem to everyone, but one could have more sensetive ears.

however from what i remember, i had my bass mid and treble at noon for both crunch and ultra channels, then knocked the midrange up a hair on crunch and down a hair on ultra. the difference it tones was night and day to me.
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
Quote by iheartmy7
i beg to differ. i used to own a XXX and couldnt do much but keep everything at noon. it may not be as much of a problem to everyone, but one could have more sensetive ears.

however from what i remember, i had my bass mid and treble at noon for both crunch and ultra channels, then knocked the midrange up a hair on crunch and down a hair on ultra. the difference it tones was night and day to me.

Try experimenting, I'd say.
It's different than with traditional tonestacks (which ironically, only "suck" tone ), but you can get adventurous with active EQs as well. When I just got the amp I kept everything at noon too, but now not so much.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
ps: in case you don't know, the 333 is a XXX clone, so this should give similar results.
That entire post I thought you where talking about Jet City xD

It could also be your guitar, is it overly bright? I know that using my Destroyer (maple neck, maple cap, japanese ash body) through my Ampeg, I have to cut the highs quite a bit or it sounds a tad shrill.

If it sounds good with the highs a bit lower, so be it. As long as it sounds killer, right?

May also e the active eq also. No matter though, it sounds badass right?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
That entire post I thought you where talking about Jet City xD

It could also be your guitar, is it overly bright? I know that using my Destroyer (maple neck, maple cap, japanese ash body) through my Ampeg, I have to cut the highs quite a bit or it sounds a tad shrill.

If it sounds good with the highs a bit lower, so be it. As long as it sounds killer, right?

May also e the active eq also. No matter though, it sounds badass right?

Nah, guitar isn't bright at all haha. Les Paul Studio. No maple cap, just chambered mahogany with a rosewood fretboard. Idk what the neck is made out of though.

Yeah, it sounds exactly how I want it to sound. I just wish I was able to get a couple more sounds out of it. I'm a 16 year old boy. Laws of nature dictate that I be adventurous xD

But yeah, It sounds badass

As to everybody else, thanks a lot for the help. I hope that I can one day sort this out :P
For now I guess I'll just stick my EQ in the loop for different sounds.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by iheartmy7

Quote by kumamilesbear

I run the crunch and ultra channels on my XXX with the bass mid and treble at noon too and tweak just a tiny bit from there. I run the channel volumes cranked, use the master volume as, well a master volume and the damping on tight. Sounds pretty good like that.
Last edited by BobDetroit at Jun 11, 2010,