Would this be a good idea/easier? Assign each note a color and learn them that way, so when I look at the fretboard, I can visualize and see where each note is at?
Schecter Omen 6FR
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Line 6 spider IV15
Yamaha F325
Thats how people say to learn notes by ear (A- Blue, A#-Light blue) Just sounds dumb to me
That is a way that is used to teach some mentally handicapped people music. But you don't need it. You don't need colors. Learning the notes isn't that hard. Learn your intervals and what they look like on fretboard, it'll make things easier.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I'm definitely a visual learner, but I've never associated notes with colors until now.

I kinda see the notes the way those chord diagrams are, where the correct frets are lit up. At least that's how I see scales.

By the way, A is red, G is green. those are the only ones that really register with a color for me.

I can just kind of feel it. Like I can feel my hands making the shape and see where the correct notes are.
Quote by cccp2006
Would this be a good idea/easier? Assign each note a color and learn them that way, so when I look at the fretboard, I can visualize and see where each note is at?

learning notes by colors has nothing at all to do with the fretboard. it's more about hearing a note and immediately identifying it. it's not a be-all end-all, though. either you have perfect pitch or you don't.

i agree with rockingamer. why learn a substitute for notes when you can learn the notes themselves?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
I can't think of any useful application that would have on the guitar.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by Night_Warrior
Thats how people say to learn notes by ear (A- Blue, A#-Light blue) Just sounds dumb to me

Actually that's been misinterpreted for a while. They originally meant the color quality of a note, not an actual visual color.
When you see an actual color for a note, that's a disorder. You're not really supposed to learn that either.
Quote by tenfold
Actually that's been misinterpreted for a while. They originally meant the color quality of a note, not an actual visual color.
When you see an actual color for a note, that's a disorder. You're not really supposed to learn that either.

what, synesthesia? yeah, i doubt trying to learn synesthesia is a good idea.

if you guys are really interested, you can look up scriabin's color circle. but like tenfold said, it's about the note quality, not a color.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by cccp2006

Personally, I don't think its a great idea. There are more traditional methods that work just fine and are in a more meaningful context, like learning to read standard notation.
shred is gaudy music
Might be a somewhat faster or easier way to learn the notes at first, but I think in the end you just make it much harder by giving yourself roadblocks.

If you want to train finding / recognizing the notes on the fretboard, try fretboard warrior. It's free and a realy good program. Just do 10 minutes everyday for two weeks and you'll see a massive improvement.