So I've been curious about the whole thing since reading axemanchris's website about it. I just figured out the whole inhalation of the voice thing.

My god, it works. Hitting the highest note in my range takes almost no effort at all. It's great. I can still add distortion to my voice too

So shoutout to Chris, it's pretty awesome, and I encourage you other guys to give it a try on his site

http://www.thebelcantotechnique.com/

-----------

My vibrato has improved tenfold. It's easy, natural, and sounds great. Adding the distortion is a little weird just cause of doing it with the whole 'Inhalation of the voice' but it's totally possible. I can't describe how much better this way of singing is.

The transition from my head voice to falsetto is literally seamless; It's total legato. Going from falsetto to head is still a little weird cause I have yet to get it anywhere near muscle memory.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Last edited by Ghast at Jun 10, 2010,

Works for me!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Is that whole inhalation of the voice thing ever used in any other teaching styles by a different name or anything?
I've always wondered what it's all about but there doesn't seem to be any clear instructions on how to do it, any way to trick yourself into doing that while you sing through making some weird sound?
No. Just Bel Canto. It is also known as "singing on the breath", which is much easier to find information on, but all amounts to the same thing.

The inhalation piece is the third stage of the technique. You absolutely cannot do it until the other two stages are in place. It would be kind of like asking someone to ride their bike with no hands before they've first learned to coast with their hands on the bars, and then pedal with their hands on the bars.

Like the "riding with no hands" analogy above, once you have the first two stages down, it's really not much more difficult than simply willing yourself to do so.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

For me, when I tried to do the inhalation of the voice (I already resonate off of my hard palate) the mask of the face automatically started, I couldn't do one without the other.

Sing a note, and visualize pulling 'air' thats directly above the note back and up into your head. Thats how I did it. (Chris: I assume when you do this it changes where the air is deflected, or moves some muscles around or something)
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
yes, I've posted that link a couple of times, and yes, it is him. That link is also on my site under "links and resources"

He also taught Brian Vollmer from Helix, Gil Moore from Triumph, Daniel Lanois (yes, *that* Daniel Lanois....), Beverly DiAngelo (from the Vacation Movies, but also does Broadway stuff)

I was very fortunate to have studied with him.

Brian Vollmer also has a site about Bel Canto (though it's a work in progress) at www.brianvollmer.com

CT

Ahh, didn't realise it was your site. Along with the videos it's been a great help, thanks.

Anyway, I've been trying this for a while now, and at this stage I'm imagining that the note I'm singing already exists, and I'm pulling it into my mouth when I sing it. I don't notice much significant difference as far as what any muscles are doing, I certainly don't feel like I'm inhaling, but I can feel a bit more resonation and vibration in my mouth and face. Does that sound like I'm on the right track at all?
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Don't think of it as inhaling breath, but as inhaling tone.

You shouldn't have a sense that you are drawing air in from outside the body and into your lungs. That would be making the air go the wrong way through your vocal cords, which won't work.

You SHOULD have a sense that you are inhaling the tones - like they are coming into your body and hitting the hard palate.

Otherwise, everything else sounds right. If you are keeping an open throat ("lifting the throat") and placing the notes in the right place (point of the triangle for low notes, wide across the cheekbones for higher notes), then inhalation doesn't require anything else being done with the muscles. It's more of a visualization thing than a physical effort, but make no mistake... it IS a willed action.

The fact that you're hearing and feeling more resonance is a good sign.

CT

I've seen this site before but I didn't really go into it. I am DEFINITELY gonna give it a serious go now. I'm checking out the videos as we speak. I'm more of a visual learner so I'm hoping that it will definitely help me out. Gotta wait til tomorrow before I give it an actual go though cause my parents will be sleeping any moment now.
Wow, I never realized I was already doing the basics of voice inhalation. Thanks for the videos.
I'm glad people feel like they're helping. I expect Ed is too.

CT

I tried the "voice inhalation" thing a day or two ago, and it did wonders for my voice. I've always had trouble hitting the top of my register, and my voice, while loud, was always sort of breathy. Now I don't have any trouble with tone or range. This really works. I'm surprised. Now I just have to increase my lung capacity, and I'll be golden.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
I'm just starting running through the videos but it looks really good so far
Quote by Next Hendrix
Walk in on your wife with another man.
Kill them both.
Go to prison in Louisiana.
Have conversation with the Devil.
Instant harmonica asskickery.