Page 1 of 2
Hey i'm picking a Marshall ( i'd want a marshall really if only for the resale value ) for home and possibly gigs later .

I play Guns N Roses,

Now i know a JCM 800 for example won't sound its best at low volume , but i'm okay with that. Its better having a JCM 800 that doesn't sound so great at home and i could use it with a band later than a 5W tube that will still sound worse.

So my choices are JCM 800 , JVM , Vintage Modern.

I heard the JVM sounds best at low volumes but also people say it doesn't have the balls of a JCM 800. I like the Vintage Modern least even tho Slash plays it , it sounds fizzy to me , like too top end.

What should i go for ?
I'm mostly looking at JCM 800 50w , but is the JVM going to sound much better than it at low volume?

Hope you can help me out ,
Thanks
IMO, the JVM will sound best at low volume, but if you're gonna gig playing GN'R type stuff, the JCM800 is the way to go.

And I KNOW you don't want to hear this, but you really shouldn't be limiting yourself to a Marshall.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Well i know people say stuff like Laney Aor and amps alike sound like a Marshall or better , but i just want to get the real thing. I've been reccomended a Blackstar HT-5 before for Marshall sounds and it sounds nothing like it. I wish i could try a JVM , VM or JCM 800 in a shop but i cant.

Is the JCM 800 so bad at low volume so i should pick a JVM over it or ?
Tell you what, the JVM is awesome for GnR, I hve one. But I think you should try out some Orange amps.
You might love em.
---------------------------
Main gear
Prs Custom 22
Gibson LP Junior
Marshall DSL 50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12
Trex OD, MXR Super Comp
Korg Pitch Black, MXR Carbon Copy.
PedalTrain 2 (soft case)
Marshalls depreciate just as much as any other amps. Really you don't have to justify it, if you want a Marshall, get a Marshall. But there are many better options like Splawn. Not many Marshall voiced amps sound great at low volumes in my experience but the Splawn will kick the shit out of any of those at gigging volumes. The 800 will definitely need a boost to get to Slash gain levels as well.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Yeah Oranges are cool but i don't think they suit GnR well since they are darker sounding.
I know JVM comes really close to the GnR tone but people say it doesn't roar like a JCM 800.

Sorry i can't afford a Splawn , i know it is a better choice but just cant afford it.
Used they go fairly cheap. I see them go for $1100-$1200 used frequently. Unless you're in Europe. Then a used 80s 800 and a boost would probably be your best bet.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I am in Europe.
Why would i need a boost btw ? Sticking an OD pedal in front would only help me at vol volume i think.
Maybe an MXR 10 for overall tone shaping ?
I have owned both a jvm410 and a vintage jcm 800. IMO, an 800 is best tone wise. Having said that the 800 is only good if you have a second amp for your cleans and the ability to crank it. Don't bother with the 2 channel jcm800's there are better amps for the price. You'd be best off with a jvm since you can switch channels. Its also a tweaker amp so you can definitely hone in on a gnr sound. Also, its a good amp for bedroom and small venue, but lacks the punch of the 800 when you are really cranking it which you won't need to do unless you are playing massive venues in which you be mic'd anyways. cheers
I would rather be a good liver than have one
The 800 doesn't have enough gain for a Slash tone stock. The OD/boost would take it to that level.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

@twistudriffer
So you're saying the JVM will still sound a lot better than a JCM 800 at low volume ?

@mmolteratx
How come it doesn't have enough gain ? I mean slash played it with no OD pedal in front , EQ sometiems maybe and 6550 tubes but never OD pedal.

@musicfan1234
Already said i can't go try these

I prefer the jcm 800, its just a matter of making it sound ok at home ,
Last edited by morecowbell11 at Jun 10, 2010,
Quote by morecowbell11
@twistudriffer
So you're saying the JVM will still sound a lot better than a JCM 800 at low volume ?

@mmolteratx
How come it doesn't have enough gain ? I mean slash played it with no OD pedal in front , EQ sometiems maybe and 6550 tubes but never OD pedal.

@musicfan1234
Already said i can't go try these

can you play the amp at 11 all the time like slash?
if not then you'll need a pedal.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by morecowbell11
Yeah Oranges are cool but i don't think they suit GnR well since they are darker sounding.
I know JVM comes really close to the GnR tone but people say it doesn't roar like a JCM 800.

Sorry i can't afford a Splawn , i know it is a better choice but just cant afford it.

Whoops, Read that wrong.

Damn dyslexia..

Umm... Hmm..

I've heard a ton of good things about the 800
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
Last edited by Benguitar2 at Jun 10, 2010,
So that OD pedal acts like a power tube saturation more or less ?

But even if i get the JVM i still won't be able to push the tubes like that, that would be insanely loud.
then a mv amp is probably not your best bet. you'd be better off with a plexi in a box pedal since the tone you're looking for is obtained at awesome loud levels and you just don't have that capability.
The JVM is better at low volumes. It will have plenty of gain for gnr by itself. The only time I stepped on an od with that amp was when I was playing the really heavy stuff. I used a ts9 with the baked mod for that. With my old jcm 800 I used a zakk wylde od, which at times got a hair muddy and noisy, but really brought out the mids which is what I wanted out of that amp.
I would rather be a good liver than have one
an overdrive will do three things. push your input level to help push the preamp tubes and add a lil gain if you want to add some more before the pre's and finally it will give you tone control over your input into the amp.

i've never played/owned a marshall other than the JVM410H. the jvm will do everything from blues to straight up metal. a jcm may be the tone you're lookin for, but the jvm has so many options like serial/parallel fx loop, midi, its programable, 4 channels w 3 modes each, a footswitch that can be used to switch channels, vol, and fx or can be used to switch thru 6 settings you choose. yeah i like my jvm. still theres alot of amps out there.

edit-you dont have to get a 100 watt jvm
Last edited by jdr94 at Jun 10, 2010,
I've played the VM and the JVM

The JVM is incredible for lead tones but not so much for classic rock.

I've only played the VM at low volumes so can't really comment.

Surely the JCM 800 is your best bet here if you're just playing G n R
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
guys, i think ill go for the JCM 800 ,

I know it won't sound so great at low volume but still i want to go for the real sound,

What would help me get a better sound at lower volumes ? I don't want to put OD in front of it , maybe MXR 10 band EQ ? Would that help ?
Have you considered the Orange Thunderverb 50? Very Marshall-esque, unlike the Rockerverb 50 thanks to the EL34's. Plus the built in attenuator lets you you go balls out and bring the vol down to a whisper. I get rad Slash tones out of it.
Chitarre:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
1969 Fender Competition Mustang Bass (Competition Red)
Amplificatore:
Orange Thunderverb 50 head
Orange PPC412

Effetti:
Fulltone OCD V 1.4
EHX Big Muff PI
EHX Small Clone
Boss TU-3
Slash never used an 800, that's why he didn't use an OD. Why don't you want to put one in front? It's an extremely common practice and many of the classic 80s players did it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I would highly recommend getting an OD for the 800. When playing with one at a store for a while (yah, I cranked it, they like me there) it simply didn't have the liveliness without an OD. I boosted it with a Keeley TS and a Hardwire distortion. They both made the amp transform into an entirely different beast. Infact I don't think I would even like owning one without a boost.

But then again, I am a metalhead
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by mmolteratx
Slash never used an 800, that's why he didn't use an OD. Why don't you want to put one in front? It's an extremely common practice and many of the classic 80s players did it.

this

He used a modded Plexi with an extra gain stage for Appetite, and a Marshall Silver Jubilee for Use Your Illusion 1/2. You're going to need an OD with an 800 to get it to do what you want.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
^ An 800 is a Plexi circuit with cascaded gain stages and different transformers.

Unless the added tube SIR amp was also cascaded as well, it wouldn't have more gain. It might have a different tone because of the components and B+ values, but it wouldn't be too drastic.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
If you're absolutley set on the 800 then look into a power attenuator so you can crank it at bedroom levels.....but IMO the JVM would be the best ''all round'' Marshall amp at the moment. I own one. I have no problem getting a slash tone from it. Don't buy an amp for one sound. If you buy the single channel JCM 800 your only going to have one channel, so you wont be able to switch from OD to clean without messing with the controlls mid song. And more than likely you will need an od pedal to push the tubes harder.
Last edited by gurg06 at Jun 10, 2010,
Quote by gurg06
If you're absolutley set on the 800 then look into a power attenuator so you can crank it at bedroom levels.....but IMO the JVM would be the best ''all round'' Marshall amp at the moment. I own one. I have no problem getting a slash tone from it. Don't buy an amp for one sound. If you buy the single channel JCM 800 your only going to have one channel, so you wont be able to switch from OD to clean without messing with the controlls mid song.

This. 800s sound best with the Master run wide open and using the Preamp volume to control the gain. (basically a cascaded NMV Marshall setup)

But, you can control the OD/Clean tones by using the controls on your guitar.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
You could get Jcm then get a attenuator so you can have the high volume sound at a lower volume...then when you gig you'll be good.

Edit:Beaten but yeah....
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Do you live in an apartment or something?

On my amp, with the post-gain at like 1, it sounds sort of thin, but at like 1.2 it will suddenly start to sound a lot better.

So it's not like it's going to sound like absolute garbage, it just won't be the full tone that the amp is capable of. I'm sure if your in your own house, you would be able to get the most out of it though. If not, you might want some kind of headphone amp for bedroom practising.

EDIT: fixed !
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 10, 2010,
Agree with teddy. though I think he meant to say thin.
It's like there really are very few amps that you can use to play like in your bedroom or apartment and not have anyone hear you...like the level of your guitar + another guitar which is the sound coming out of the amp. Most amps are daytime amps.
I think Slash recorded UYI with JCM 800 + 2555 , and he definately uses JCM 800 live.
Anyways thats not the point , i

@asr_larocca , I think the thunderverb is out of my budget , i'd like to go as high as 880$ for head. Also note i'm in europe.

@gurg06
I like messing with the controls on the guitar on a single channel amp better anyways , its more dynamic so that is not a problem switching to clean.

Also i don't have a lot of money to spend on pedals and attenuators.

I could get an OD pedal for home but how much would one cost ? I'm saying this again , i am aware it won't sound like a cranked JCM 800 at home , i just want something that's usuable and still retains some of the JCM 800 qualities .
I don't know if i want to do that.

Anyways couldn't i run MXR 10 band instead of an OD pedal? Don't they do pretty much the same job ?
I'd suggest neither, you seem pretty damn sold to the JCM800 and in most posts your trying to find excuses to get one. I don't blame you, it's a great amp.

BUT.

They are seriously loud, to get the 'balls' from the amp you have to turn it up to 1+. That said, 1+ will get the police called on you!

As a suggestion, and I know it may not be what you want to hear but I have a few suggestions for you!

How about;

Marshall Class 5 + Celestion G10 Greenback + Rothwell Hellbender.

This is the set-up i'm looking at for home use and also gigs and things.

If this doesn't give you a very very very good Slash-esque tone then I'd eat my hat!

Disclaimer: I don't have a hat...

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I'm sure what you said would probably be better in my case. Especially at home.
But i really want to get something that i can also use later on , just something solid you know ?
Page 1 of 2