Hey guys! First post here, and I haven't done much browsing, so hopefully the first isn't a flame fest..
Anywhoo I've been playing for about 2 years now, and I've been using a shitted yamaha guitar for the whole time. I've finally saved up some money and now I don't know what to buy! There's no guitar store around here so I really am going of just what I've read and trying to assume similarities to my guitar. The guitar ive been abusing for the last couple years is basically a fender strat with a rosewood fretboard and 2 humbuckers. every fret is dead and it's terrible! Now to my debate.
I'm currently playing through a roland cube 30, and I'm not sure if it's the guitar (which must be worth 20 dollars at most) or the amp, but I'm looking for a thicker/heavier sound. It may be the small 10" speaker but I'm not sure. Now I have 3 guitars in mind, which are

a. jackson dkmg
b. ltd m1000
c. an ibanez 2550z prestige being sold used here in town for 650 (which apprently is a good deal)

Now I've read great things about ibanez but for some reason im drawn to active pickups (which i've never tried b4...) I just like metallica etc... Yeah im another one of those..

Anyways, for the question, what is the better guitar for what I'm looking for (metallica/megadeath sounds) and will it be enough of an improvement to keep me satisfied, without getting another amp? This could lead to quesiton two, as to what are some good amps for home use that has some beefy sound?

Thanks in advance for all the help, and hopefully it wasn't too long and zZZzzz
how much do you have?
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Hmm...based solely on your metallica/megadeth tone-seeking...
I'd suggest a guitar with EMG81/85s for the metallica side of things OR Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz combo for the megadeth side of things.

That being said, I dont have much experience with the jackson or the LTD, but the ibanez is a brilliant guitar in feel and craftsmanship. Theyre MIJ and have ultra-thin necks. I'd say quality-wise the ibanez would come out on top.

Another option is to get a schecter hellraiser c-1...I think other UGers may agree as well. Great guitar for value. Has EMGs. Neck-thru etc etc...

Or a used ESP Horizon, quality MIJ guitar also, may be a bit more expensive:

Ampwise, what is your budget?
I'm looking to spend around 7-800 on a guitar alone.
The ibanez comes with a sh-4 jb in the bridge already installed aswell.
700-800 US?
im not good with currencies but I assume you can get all the guitars youve listed and the ones ive listed for that much in the US. Ebay and all...
But yeah, have a look at what i showed and play all the guitars mentioned on this thread and then you be the judge.
If you're not looking for a new amp (Which you should if you really have an issue with the sound, but I'm not going to push that.)

I say don't get a guitar with EMGs. Now in all importance....

GO GET THAT DAMN IBANEZ BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE DOES.

If it's in good condition I'd jizz all over myself.

Going used is the best solution when you have a smaller budget or if you want to save as much money as possible in your purchase.
Quote by siverstorm
If you're not looking for a new amp (Which you should if you really have an issue with the sound, but I'm not going to push that.)

Yeah thats an issue, but we'll leave it for now.

EMGs arent that bad, theyre good for what they do.

I agree.

Going used is the best solution when you have a smaller budget or if you want to save as much money as possible in your purchase.
I agree again.

^replied in the quote.
he said there's 4 or 5 dings in it, hense so cheap. says the bridge and neck are perfect and no fret ware.. just the dings so he gave it a 7/10.. I think that's what I'm going to get because it will still let me play the metal I want (maybe not as accurate as some ears would like)

As far as amps, what would people suggest for home use?
For home use I'd recommend a 5W Tube however that may be too small if you want to play with a drummer or on stage in the future.

A Peavey Valveking has gotten a lot of good reviews for being a very good amp for the price.
Is this the case for metal? I've heard playing metal is better for solid state, but I haven't played around much. Next time I'm in the city I'll definately bring my guitar and play with many amps.
ESP Eclipse or something. ''Any'' guitar can play metal, IMO, it's just how you play it. Heck, I played with See You Next Tuesday and their guitarist was using a back up tele, and they sound like sludge. How far is the nearest guitar store?

when it comes to amps, Peavey are like the ''base'' to work from. As most metal bands these days are using 5150/6505.

Have a look at a Carvin V3
Carvin V3 - Matamp 4x12 - VHT Valvulator - Maxon OD808 - Visual Volume Pedal

EH Cathedral - Ibanez DE7
Last edited by Iveness92 at Jun 10, 2010,
Quote by Iveness92
ESP Eclipse or something. ''Any'' guitar can play metal, IMO, it's just how you play it. Heck, I played with See You Next Tuesday and their guitarist was using a back up tele, and they sound like sludge. How far is the nearest guitar store?

when it comes to amps, Peavey are like the ''base'' to work from. As most metal bands these days are using 5150/6505.

Have a look at a Carvin V3

I guarantee it isn't a stock tele. with stock pickups they have way too much twang and the feedback is unreal, and if you turn the tone down it won't have the thump and definition anymore.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by evmac
I guarantee it isn't a stock tele. with stock pickups they have way too much twang and the feedback is unreal, and if you turn the tone down it won't have the thump and definition anymore.

But that's what I'm saying. It depends how you play it. All guitars are customizable. You just bring it to your own taste
Carvin V3 - Matamp 4x12 - VHT Valvulator - Maxon OD808 - Visual Volume Pedal

EH Cathedral - Ibanez DE7
that's definitely true
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by siverstorm

I tend to agree although I love my Jackson. If this one plays well and still has decent frets I'd go for it.
Quote by flipwon
Is this the case for metal? I've heard playing metal is better for solid state, but I haven't played around much. Next time I'm in the city I'll definately bring my guitar and play with many amps.

Whoever told you that gave you their opinion. If I took a general consensus of every professional metal guitarist, 90-99% of them are using Tube amps.

Just when you check out tube amps make sure its not a crazy high wattage. For example a 75W SOLID STATE is comparable in loudness to a 40W Tube amp. Or something along those lines.
Quote by siverstorm

This.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
i'd tend to disagree with the people saying get the ibanez, i would stand by the quality of the jackson DKMG over most ibanezes i have played. But hey, thats just personal subjective opinion, like everyone else in this thread has given. (besides some of the more obvious facts of course.)

Because everyone here is going to suggest what they personally think is good, i suggest forming your own opinion rather than following that which has been suggested to you. Go play those guitars yourself, and decide yourself based on feel, sound, quality etc.

Thats probably the best advice i can give anyone of any skill level.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Prestige Ibby quality is far better than DKMG quality hands down and i prefer Jackson to Ibanez.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Ibby!
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
I'd get the Ibanez for sure, that's one heck of a deal.

Edit: Just realized that it's GBP not US dollar, still a good deal though.
Last edited by Tyraziell at Jun 11, 2010,
if your in the uk that ibby is a good deal but not a great as some people here are making out.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
if your in the uk that ibby is a good deal but not a great as some people here are making out.

why?thats an insane deal?

EDIT : are you talking about the price or the guitar?
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 11, 2010,
the guitar is great,

but £650 is only £120 off the cheapest retail price on the 1st page of google as it has a fair few dinks on it,

i would say not worth 650,

i saw one go on ebay for just 500

and i bought an immaculate MIJ Ibby S1675Fmeg Prestige for £500

this isnt a good deal if he is talking GBP

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
the guitar is great,

but £650 is only £120 off the cheapest retail price on the 1st page of google as it has a fair few dinks on it,

i would say not worth 650,

i saw one go on ebay for just 500

and i bought an immaculate MIJ Ibby S1675Fmeg Prestige for £500

this isnt a good deal if he is talking GBP

GBP?not so insane..USD?pretty good..

but i found this nearby our place..I would buy it immediately if I had the money

http://ventura.craigslist.org/msg/1697977666.html
ive never had a problem with esp ltd, and m schecter is my favorite guitar brand of all time. i honestly dont notice a difference when it comes to active pickups thru a pedal chain, but i guess taht could be the sitortions i use and the eq at the end of the chain. i would go for schecter, or esp, or ibanez, but schecters always a win for me. try all them out before you even consider buying one
The 650 is CAD by the way... I should have been more clear, but I figured most people would figure I meant USD.. either way though, it's even cheaper as here in canada our dollar is worth squat