Page 1 of 2
TheZephyrSon
Renegade of Funk
288 IQ
I decided to go for it, and build my own guitar. I have some experience building other projects, and I have most of the tools (those that I don't, a guy I know does). So far I've got all the wood, and hopefully will be ordering the parts soonish. Could be a few weeks though.

It's gonna be a single cutaway, chambered (a lot) guitar, sort of similar in shape to a les paul.

So, yeah. Hopefully will lay the whole thing out next week-ish, maybe work on the neck a little?

Specs:
Body wood: spanish cedar
Top wood: figured myrtle
Neck wood: hard maple
Fingerboard: bocote
Frets: 22 stainless steel
Pickups: GFS P90 for the bridge, GFS mini humbucker in the neck.
Wiring: 1 volume, 1 tone, coil split on the mini humbucker
Bridge: Either a Hipshot baby grand, or a GFS sg-style wraparound
Tuners: Some GFS ones. Probably locking, maybe not.
Nut: Graphite
Finish: Some sort of stain.

Pics:
Body wood (spanish cedar)

Top wood (myrtle)

Neck blank (hard maple)

Fretboard (bocote)

Peghead veneer (flame maple)
Zoso Juan
118 IQ
Cool, would you be willing to documentate the process?
Fender Stratocaster Highway One
Digitech GNX 4
Laney Lx65R
TheZephyrSon
Renegade of Funk
288 IQ
Updates, yo

Control cavity and hollow cutouts routed, basically in the shape I want (other than more sanding I'll be doing to smooth it out)

Top glued on, clamped (I wish I had more real clamps, I don't like having to tighten these every few hours cause I'm worried they won't stay)

A couple finish tests. The blue for the top looks darker in person (and it's only one coat, Ill be sanding it back to let the grain show better as well) and the clearcoat on the cedar is more prominent too.
xstillspinninx
McNubbin
557 IQ
Nice dude! I like the not so standard array of woods. As for the clamps, hit up Harbor Freight. They have dirt ass cheap clamps and sure they bend under load, but they get the job done IMHO. You can order them online and have them shipped too, if there isn't one near you. When I was getting C clamps for laminate necks I looked at Home Depot, something like $4-5 per 3" clamp. Harbor Freight? I think they were $1.75. Done and done.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
N_J_B_B
Nicko.
1,326 IQ
Dat fretboard.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
TheZephyrSon
Renegade of Funk
288 IQ
Quote by xstillspinninx
Nice dude! I like the not so standard array of woods. As for the clamps, hit up Harbor Freight. They have dirt ass cheap clamps and sure they bend under load, but they get the job done IMHO. You can order them online and have them shipped too, if there isn't one near you. When I was getting C clamps for laminate necks I looked at Home Depot, something like $4-5 per 3" clamp. Harbor Freight? I think they were $1.75. Done and done.

Thanks for that dude, I'll have to check that out
Quote by -MintSauce-
Ooooh. The cedar and bocote are way sexy.

Quote by N_J_B_B
Dat fretboard.

I think the cedar and bocote are my two favorite parts of this build at least so far.

I'll be hopefully working on the neck this week. I gotta figure out a way to cut a clean, straight cut without having a tablesaw to cut the neck in two pieces...Maybe my squirrel saw.
-MintSauce-
Time Lord
2,394 IQ
Quote by TheZephyrSon
Thanks for that dude, I'll have to check that out

I think the cedar and bocote are my two favorite parts of this build at least so far.

I'll be hopefully working on the neck this week. I gotta figure out a way to cut a clean, straight cut without having a tablesaw to cut the neck in two pieces...Maybe my squirrel saw.

Circular saw with a fence.
TheZephyrSon
Renegade of Funk
288 IQ
Updates!

Cut the soundhole (roughly, it's still being sanded/filed), sanded back the edges of the top a bit...Still a lot of that to do, and then i gotta get the body smoothed out and in the final shape...That'll probably happen this next week.
And I gotta sand back the glue smears on the top a bit too.

Cut and glued the scarf joint.
Imme94
I wish you were a beer.
986 IQ
Is it possible for a fretboard to turn someone on? Cuz I gots me a chubby. XP

Nice build though. I'm jealous. I love that shade of blue you have, I've always wanted a guitar that color.
TheZephyrSon
Renegade of Funk
288 IQ
Quote by Imme94
Is it possible for a fretboard to turn someone on? Cuz I gots me a chubby. XP

Nice build though. I'm jealous. I love that shade of blue you have, I've always wanted a guitar that color.

You're not the only one

Yeah, I was kinda torn between this and a really sweet red...Seeing the sample, I'm glad I went with this though. And I can always use red for the next build
Last edited by TheZephyrSon at Aug 9, 2010,
Imme94
I wish you were a beer.
986 IQ
Yeah, I'm actually in the process of switching from red to a shade of blue similar to what you have there, so fancy that. :P

Any update by the way???
TheZephyrSon
Renegade of Funk
288 IQ
Quote by Imme94
Yeah, I'm actually in the process of switching from red to a shade of blue similar to what you have there, so fancy that. :P

Any update by the way???

Yeah, of sorts...Glued on the headstock wings today, sorta screwed up when I cut back the excess on the headstock but it's fixable. I'll be sanding back the top/smoothing out the guitar this week, maybe tomorrow? and then when the glues had time to dry and sit for a while I'll glue the flame maple headstock veneer on.

I took a break from using my money on parts to get a DOD yngwie malmsteen overdrive, but I should have a bit of money coming up I can use to get a truss rod and some hardware.
Last edited by TheZephyrSon at Aug 9, 2010,
TheZephyrSon
Renegade of Funk
288 IQ
Well, I screwed up the whole headstock trying to fix what I already screwed up. So, I'll be ordering a new neck blank because I ruined the neck. Which is really frustrating.

at least it was a cheap neck blank.

And when I do it this time, no risky miter cuts this time. I'm waiting till I can use the guy I know's tablesaw.
TheZephyrSon
Renegade of Funk
288 IQ
electric arrest
312 IQ
That cherry blank is awesome, but cherry is my fav for everything (Ironically never tried it in a guitar)
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,541 IQ
Get the quilted one. That's what i would do anyway.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
TheZephyrSon
Renegade of Funk
288 IQ
(small) update

Drilled the holes for the pots, the hole for the jack, the hole for the strap locks, and then created recesses for the top-mounted electronics hardware so that there will be enough room for the nuts to fit on the threaded parts. (badly worded sentence, but hopefully you got the gist of it)

EDIT: Also, sorry about the triple post.

Top view

Other top view

View that shows the recesses for the pots (note: they're not totally smoothed out), as well as the jack hole
TheZephyrSon
Renegade of Funk
288 IQ
Wow, it's been awhile since I've updated.

Anyway, not much of an update right now but I bought a bunch of stuff from stewmac (binding, a bridge, electronics, truss rod, and a couple other things) and I should be able to do some more stuff soon. I just need to use my friends's table saw to cut my scarf joint then I'll be able to do some more stuff. Hopefully I can cut that next week (if his health permits, he hasn't been feeling well the past few weeks).

Also, I got 2 new tools: A delta drill press and a mounted belt/disc sander for $20 each at a garage sale I love garage sales. I may edit a couple pics into this post if anyones interested after I pick them up in a couple hours.
TheZephyrSon
Renegade of Funk
288 IQ
Sorry for another content-less update, but I have one.

I bought a table saw! It's a 10" craftsman. The only thing is, the blade is amazingly dull, so cuts aren't working out so well. But, tonight I'll be buying a new blade (If by some chance the one I want isn't at home depot, which it should be, I'll order it online.)

So once I have that, I can continue with the build. If I find it tonight, expect an update within the next two days.
N_J_B_B
Nicko.
1,326 IQ
Looking really good buddy, sucks about the board but we all make mistakes.

Just out of intrest, what styles do you play? Stereotypically i'd say rockerbilly or jazz. :P

Good luck!
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
TheZephyrSon
Renegade of Funk
288 IQ
Quote by N_J_B_B
Looking really good buddy, sucks about the board but we all make mistakes.

Just out of intrest, what styles do you play? Stereotypically i'd say rockerbilly or jazz. :P

Good luck!

Thanks!

I play all sorts . Rock, jazz, hip hop, folk, metal, grunge, funk, blues, etc.
I figure, I already have a strat and a les paul, this would give me some more diversity.
TheZephyrSon
Renegade of Funk
288 IQ
An actual update with content in it? Hell yeah
My new table saw:

And my cut and glued scarf joint:

It's not much, but it's going to allow me to continue with my build, and that's always good.

By the way -- Diablo table and circular saw blades totally live up to the hype, at least so far.
joelJURASSIC
i wear pants.
127 IQ
Nice work so far man, Keep it up!
Im stickying this
In a crooked little town,
They were lost and never found.
Fallen leaves, fallen leaves, fallen leaves,
On the ground.
TheZephyrSon
Renegade of Funk
288 IQ
Guys, I don't think I'm gonna be a professional luthier...
I got my router ready to cut the truss rod channel. Checked and double checked everything, and made the cut. Everything was perfect...Except I forgot to tighten the bit. It came loose, and I ended up having something like 1/32" left of wood (maybe even less) underneath the channel.

So, I just cut it all the way through and I guess I have to do a skunk stripe.
My truss rod channel:

I also glued on the ears: