I used to be in a band, and me and another guitarist starting writing a song. He wrote the intro part and the verse part, and I wrote the intro solo and the chorus chord progression. I've long since left the band.

Yesterday he came up to me telling me that I can't use the parts that he wrote. This isn't right, is it?
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Unless he actually has a lawyer, I say just do what you want.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
I believe as long as you give him songwriting credit, and pay the royalties due, there's not much he can do. That's for a recorded version of it. Live, you're entirely in the clear.

However, I feel you should respect his wishes. After all, he did write those parts.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Tell him he can't use your parts . Anyway if it isn't copyrighted yet, who cares? just look at dave mustaine's riffs on metallica lol
I think you should just do whatever you want to do with it. When you perform it I think you should say that you wrote the song with x person a number of years ago in a different band, especially if he is watching. Point him out and everyone goes oooh. After that he'll let you play the song.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
If he's not had them copyrighted, then you can use them all you want.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Damaged Roses
Tell him he can't use your parts . Anyway if it isn't copyrighted yet, who cares? just look at dave mustaine's riffs on metallica lol

This was the first thing in my mind too.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
legally: you can do what you want
ethically: he's right

Edit: Just write a new song! If he wrote something THAT incredible, you should've just stayed in a band with him. If he didn't, why keep it ?
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
Last edited by Crimson Ghost at Jun 10, 2010,
Of course you could just record it now, then all the copyright would be yours. But that would just be mean
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
*sigh*

First of all, something is automatically considered copyrighted in most countries as soon as it is committed to a fixed medium, whether it be a piece of paper or a flash drive or whatever. The trick is proving it and enforcing it.

Second, from your description, it sounds like neither of you have screw all to copyright. A copyright refers, typically, to the lyrics and melody only. You cannot copyright chord progressions or riffs and such, as a general rule.

Live performance, even if he did have something to copyright and actually went through the process to copyright it, there is screw all he can say or do. Performance royalties are collected from venues in return for allowing venues to host performances of copyrighted material.

Recording, (if he actually has something that could be copyrighted), he can disallow you to use it. As the creator and owner, that is his perogative.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Crimson Ghost

/thread.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by Crimson Ghost

this. don't be a dick, man. if he wrote it and doesn't want you using it, just honor his wishes.
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Quote by Crimson Ghost

This
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Is he called dave mustaine by any chance?
¡sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ suɐılɐɹʇsnɐ ʎluo

E-married to danny the fish

Quote by Kensai
That's a purdy mouth you got there, zelestros. Why don't we make good use of that in other ways...
Quote by slaptasticdave
This

I'd like to add that our avatars go hand in hand
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
You're in the clear to play it live but i'd drop it out of respect for this guy. If there's nothing he can do and he doesn't want you to use them then it's not fair on him if you do use it even if you do credit him.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles