Poll: Fixed or Locking Trem?
Poll Options
View poll results: Fixed or Locking Trem?
Fixed Bridge
40 53%
Locking Trem
13 17%
I like both
22 29%
Voters: 75.
This is just a little survey just to see whoever prefers fixed bridge or locking trem, nothing else.
It depends on what you play. If you're going to be diving out all the time like steve vai, then of course. If you find that the music you play has very little, then its probably not worth the effort. Still, I like having it to play everything, and the tuning-process isn't as bad as its put out to be. The string-changing though, might be lol.
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
I prefer a fixed bridge - preferably stop tail. I voted as such.

Just my preference. Trems are a pain, IMO.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Locking for sure, great tuning stability and a tremolo bar when you need one. The only draw back I can think of is the sustain issue. Changing strings doesn't take very long at all.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by sacamano79
Locking for sure, great tuning stability and a tremolo bar when you need one. The only draw back I can think of is the sustain issue. Changing strings doesn't take very long at all.

Definitely not as big of a deal as most people lead you to believe once you get the hang of it.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I prefer Hardtails over Locking Trems. However, Locking Trems are a big hassle to me. I change my tuning occasionally and would never be able to achieve a Ricky H Wilson tuning with a Floyd Rose unless it was set up for it. I think the best Trem for me would be a Trem King.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Jun 10, 2010,
I prefer non-locking tremolos like Wilkinsons and PRS's model.

But, of the two options I prefer fixed bridge.

I hate my Floyd, I can't change tunings (without a huge pain). I have zero sustain, I barely use it, and it's uncomfortable to rest my hand on.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
I prefer non-locking tremolos like Wilkinsons and PRS's model.

But, of the two options I prefer fixed bridge.

I hate my Floyd, I can't change tunings (without a huge pain). I have zero sustain, I barely use it, and it's uncomfortable to rest my hand on.

That's another thing, Doesn't it take some getting used to if you want to palm mute with a Floyd? I'm sure it can be done but it must take a very light touch.

Oh and it comes to mind that perhaps most people who rave about Floyd Rose Trems have never had to set one up. But let's not go off topic.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Jun 10, 2010,
I don't care for locking trems and I found that I've regained a lot of sustain when I blocked my floyd.

I do think fixed bridge is much less hassle and nicer, but as people have said. It's not that hard to change the strings on a floyd. Just a tad time consuming especially if you don't block it.
i like both of them.
i like the added sustain and bending stability of a fixed bridge (especially with a string through body), but i also love the clamped tuning a floyd rose offers, and the sounds you can make with them.
Trem King. Fixed-bridge trem
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

I prefer fixed bridges, mainly Hardtail its just the look of em personally and i dont really do any dives etc as im quite new to guitar.. Oh and ive never played a Floating / locking trem (like the FR) so i cant really comment on em.. next time im in manchester i might have to go try one for the see what they are like..
Quote by Gargoyle2500
Doesn't it take some getting used to if you want to palm mute with a Floyd?

I guess it depends on what you're used to.. I can't palm mute on a Tune-o-matic to save my life but can play entire runs muted on a FR.
Quote by van01010100
I guess it depends on what you're used to.. I can't palm mute on a Tune-o-matic to save my life but can play entire runs muted on a FR.

But you have to be careful, because you have to mute it just right or it will go sharp
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by Gargoyle2500
That's another thing, Doesn't it take some getting used to if you want to palm mute with a Floyd? I'm sure it can be done but it must take a very light touch.

Not really, not for me anyway. You don't really need a light touch, where you actually mute is more important. I found that if my hand touches in line with the studs of the trem, it doesn't go sharp, at least not noticeably.
Quote by bingeandletgo
But you have to be careful, because you have to mute it just right or it will go sharp

If you knock a FR out of tune with your palm muting then you are pressing way too hard.
I Prefer a fixed trem, Usually a Tune-O-Matic.
I play in a variety of different tunings and it's easier to change tunings quickly.
Guitar - Washburn X-50PROQ
Amp- Ibanez TBX15r (using to run my POD through)
Pedals - Line6 POD X3, Dunlop Crybaby Gcb-95
I prefer fixed bridge. I like the thought of having a tremelo but i don't need it. And I like having more sustain from a fixed bridge and find it easier to palm mute.
I like fixed, especially tune-o-matics
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
I prefer vintage trems, but only if they're actually using high-quality, non-tone-eating components(No pot metal trem blocks! Fiberglass, which is if I recall, 80% of pot metal, does not resonate well!). Otherwise though, I don't use one enough to warrant the loss of sustain, and I love a warm sound, so I'll take a hardtail instead of a floyd.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I got used to palm muting and pretty much all guitar techniques that I used on a fixed bridge, with my OFR in like 2 days.
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
I love Floyds, but I like hardtails as well. Also really like non locking systems like the PRS and Parker trems. As for Floyds being a PITA to set up.... That can be true if you don't know what your doing. As for not being able to plam mute with a Floyd that is just retarded IMO they are much more comfortable for palm mutes than a TOM and if your going sharp with your palm mutes you seriously have some problems with your technique. As for sustain a quality guitar with a quality Floyd will have plenty of sustain.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by Vlasco
If you knock a FR out of tune with your palm muting then you are pressing way too hard.

Bingo always love it when people complain about this flaw in the floating bridge design. As for bridge preferences I don't care too much about either one specifically but some guitars I prefer with a hardtail while others with a locking bridge.
I like both, thats why its a good thing I have both. I started with a Floyd, and while it never goes out of tune, you cant change tunings. So it is good to have one with and one without.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
I have both, but I really, really dislike fixed bridges. Every time I'm playing my V-50, my hand automatically goes to where the trem arm should be, and then I have to suffer a momentary wave of depression to realize that it's not there.

The sustain is nice, but that's the only advantage I can think of that hardtails have, besides changing tuning, which I don't really do anyway.

The great thing about a trem is that you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

But it's there if you do. Hardtail guitars are... I don't know. Just way too simple for my tastes.

Also, I'm sorry, but I hate it when lazy/stupid people complain about how FR's are a "pain in the ass". I respect if you like your ability to change tunings and sustain on a hardtail, I realize that not everybody uses vibrato like I do, but I hate that... "it's such a hassle" complaint. It's really not. I can change my strings in 10 mintutes tops. It's really not that hard, guys.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I only have a guitar with a fixed bridge, but I really want one with an OFR.

I'm primarily a lead player, so a tremolo bar can allow to me write more interesting leads.

Also, I rarely change tunings, so a locking trem/nut would be no problem for me at all. In fact, it would benefit me more than it would put me at a disadvantage.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by TMF128 at Aug 7, 2010,