i'm getting my first guitar an ESP LTD F100 FM. I know nothing about string gauges except the size.
1. best set of strings to buy to play metal? and stay in tune.

2. best gauges for standard tuning?

3. best gauges for dropped tunings like C or D.

Thanks
depends mostly on your guitar's scale length, and how tight you like them.
in standard tuning 9-42 is considered standard on a 25.5" scale guitar, and 10-46 on a 24.75" scale gives roughly the same tension.

personally, i go down up about a gauge for each step i go down in tuning.
Quote by heminder
depends mostly on your guitar's scale length, and how tight you like them.
in standard tuning 9-42 is considered standard on a 25.5" scale guitar, and 10-46 on a 24.75" scale gives roughly the same tension.

personally, i go down up about a gauge for each step i go down in tuning.

you have got that backwards. thicker strings on shorter scale would yeild higher tension than thinner strings on a longer scale.

i personally would go for 10's in standard, 9's are a little bit flabby on the lower strings for metal.

i use 11's and will use 12's once i get rid of the rest of my 11's, but it is all personal preferance.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you have got that backwards. thicker strings on shorter scale would yeild higher tension than thinner strings on a longer scale.

i personally would go for 10's in standard, 9's are a little bit flabby on the lower strings for metal.

i use 11's and will use 12's once i get rid of the rest of my 11's, but it is all personal preferance.

I always thought it was the longer the scale, the more tension on the strings? That's what it feels like to me anyway.

I use 10's on my les paul, and 9's on my tele. I say whatever feels best to you is what you should use; there really isn't a "best" overall gauge.
Quote by MrFndr
I always thought it was the longer the scale, the more tension on the strings? That's what it feels like to me anyway.

I use 10's on my les paul, and 9's on my tele. I say whatever feels best to you is what you should use; there really isn't a "best" overall gauge.

now you have got me confused... lol.

i am going back and fourth. i think the longer the more tension the strings are subjected to. but 11's on my LP feel tighter than 11's on my strat.

i would like some verification please.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
now you have got me confused... lol.

i am going back and fourth. i think the longer the more tension the strings are subjected to. but 11's on my LP feel tighter than 11's on my strat.

i would like some verification please.

I googled it, and found this.

A few things should be apparent from the formula: 1. Everything else being the same, pitch increases as tension increases; 2. Everything else being the same, tension increases as scale length increases; 3. Everything else being the same, tension increases as unit weight increases, thus a heavier gage string will be under greater tension as a lighter one of the same length tuned to the same note;

So maybe the same gauge feels looser on your strat due to the trem? That might have an effect on the string tension, but I'm not sure.
Quote by MrFndr
I googled it, and found this.

So maybe the same gauge feels looser on your strat due to the trem? That might have an effect on the string tension, but I'm not sure.

thanks for clearing that up with the quote. the trem could be, or maybe because the tailpiece on the LP is down as low as it can get to the body. i like my strings tight... lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Re the pickups supposed to wobble? And I have fret buzz at the first octave on the low E string.
For drop C-D I'd say use skinny top/heavy bottom
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
I would think heavier gauge for the lower drop what you can get is heavy on top light on the bottom but it depends if your bending your A D And C/D/E string
Since this is your first guitar, start out with something like 9-42s for standard tuning. If you go with heavier strings as a beginner you are going to have a harder time bending etc.

Most people agree that heavier strings give better tone, but the top priority should always be for you to feel comfortable on your instrument So as you gain finger strength you could try heavier gauges and see if you like 'em or not.
I use either 9s or 10s. My biggest secret? USE COATED STRINGS! Better tone, and they last longer. Whether the be ernie ball coateds (mi favorita) or elixirs, It doesnt really matter. you can sweat all over them and they never rust. Best strings ever. Plus, 9s allow you flexibility, and they tear up your fingers less.
You can be as heavy as you want in standard. RIP Dime, Shreddin' in heaven.
Keep Shredding