I recently accepted a full time job and have been working a lot of overtime. The money is nice but for the next month or so all I'll be able to do is work and sleep. There isn't much time to practice guitar

I understand that if you "don't use it you lose it." But is there any way I can make the best use of my time considering there will be days at a time were I won't be able to touch my guitar?
Quit your job, move back in with your parents and practice 10 hours a day.

But seriously, it looks like you're pretty boned as far as guitar goes. Just practice consistently. 30 minutes every day is better then 4 hours once a week.

Sort out your priorities. Do you really need to watch T.V., or cruise the internet for an hour and a half? Do you really need to stand in the shower masturbating for 45 minutes? Efficiency is key. It may seem hard at first, but you'll get used to it.
I spent a couple of years away from my guitar (drug charge) and i had a fake guitar neck made out of a cardboard note book back. still had some catching up to do when I got out but i wasn't completely lost. So just find something even reasonably guitar neck-like at work and run scales.
Quote by Wolforn

Sort out your priorities.

+1

Do you really need to watch T.V., or cruise the internet for an hour and a half?

+2

Do you really need to stand in the shower masturbating for 45 minutes? Efficiency is key. It may seem hard at first, but you'll get used to it.

+500000

That last part is especially right. I mean, were you EVER a teenage boy?
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
I'm in the same boat. I have a pretty challenging job, so there are times where it gets pretty intense and threatens to crowd everything else out. When that happens I'll push myself really hard to make sure I can get 30 mins a day in, or even 20. Unless you're literally working 16 hrs/day, there's usually some way you can squeeze it in if you are determined to. Shit, even 5-10 mins a day is better than nothing, and it takes surprisingly little practice time to at least maintain.
Thanks for the tips guys. I still have time to practice a little bit, but I was usually used to 2-4 hours a day and even more. I accept the fact that I won't make a lot of technical progress. I'm just looking to stay at the same level I'm at now.

I figure I can spend at least 30 minutes a day working on scales and chord changes and other basic stuff.

Any other tips?
Quote by yearzero
Thanks for the tips guys. I still have time to practice a little bit, but I was usually used to 2-4 hours a day and even more. I accept the fact that I won't make a lot of technical progress. I'm just looking to stay at the same level I'm at now.

I figure I can spend at least 30 minutes a day working on scales and chord changes and other basic stuff.

Any other tips?

30 mins is enough time to not only keep your chops but also make progress. You just have to sit down and write out a very concise schedule for that 30mins. Write one for each day of the week you can practice, and each day cover 2-3 things that you need to work on most.
Say day 1 is legato and hybrid picking practice. Write that down, and make lists of the licks you will practice. Do that for all the days you can practice.
^ Good advice. I've noticed too that even in periods when I'm limited to 30 mins/day, I still make progress. And you avoid over-practicing certain things.
In addition to the dedicated 30 mins, I'll try to make use of small windows of time throughout the day. For example, if I have 5 mins before I have to leave for work, I'll pick up the guitar and practice one little thing, like a chord change. If you focus on one thing, you can get quite a bit out of these little mini-windows of time.
^ That's some great news This might actually be a blessing in disguise. If I'm interpreting everyone correctly, using the time constraint to force myself to focus even more during practice time, I might even progress faster than 2-4 hours of focusing on and off?
Quote by yearzero
^ That's some great news This might actually be a blessing in disguise. If I'm interpreting everyone correctly, using the time constraint to force myself to focus even more during practice time, I might even progress faster than 2-4 hours of focusing on and off?

Yes it's very true. Quality > Quantity.