So one of the many things I want to do this summer is make some mods to my Jag. The awful stock pickups are going to be swapped out for some SD Jag pickups, but I also want to reverse the pickup selector switches.

Anyone who's played a Jag will know that to activate the pickup(s) you flick the switches up (towards you) which means you run a significant chance of accidentally turning the switch off when strumming. So what I want to do is flip the switches the other way round. Just the two pickup selectors and not the 'strangle' switch.

Wiring Diagram

There's a diagram of the wiring.

I was wondering whether this could be done by merely unscrewing the switches and turning them upside-down or whether this would require some soldering (in which case I would send it to a tech). My immediate concern was that if I don't resolder the wires may tangle/cause problems.

Does anyone here have any experience/knowledge on the matter? I don't really know enough about this to make an informed decision.

Also for the UK what would you say would be a reasonable price for: fitting the pickups (that I will provide) + flipping the switches. I've been quoted 'about £50' by an in-store tech.

Cheers,
D.
Flipping the switches will do what you want, although I would be worried about breaking a wire. Simply taking the wires and soldering them in the opposite positions will work too, it isn't a difficult job. I can reccomend the SD jag pickups btw, and I have mine set up with the switch down being on, it's much easier.

£50 is far too much for a simple job like a pickup swap.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Yes, you can just turn the switches around, no soldering necessary.

I don't know how prices are in the UK, but adjusted for exchange rates, that's about right for a pickup change in the US. On the other hand, a soldering iron and some solder will run you about 20 pounds at the most and you can do it yourself fairly easily. It's something you should probably learn how to do if you're planning on changing pickups any more than just the one time.

Edit: Actually, a great way to practice soldering would be to desolder the switches and resolder the wires on the opposite lugs of the switch. That would solve your switch problem and get you some confidence with an iron, since it's an easy enough joint and those switches would be difficult to fry by accident.
Yeh cheers guys. I think I'll give it a go myself. The only soldering I've done in my life was when I was in high school, but you're right, I should learn to do this myself (and I want to).

Is there any particular type of solder recommended for guitar stuff or is anything fine?
You're probably only going to be able to find two kinds, silver-bearing and 80/20 rosin core. The rosin core is a lot easier to work with, but contains lead. You might not even be able to get it with the new EU restrictions. If you have to use silver bearing, get a tub of soldering flux to go with it.
i use rosin core, i like it =)

however, my jag is the first guitar i worked with when i swapped the pups, and it's a very complicated guitar, it took me like 2 hours to be able to do it properly...

however, then, it took me like an hour or 2 to transform my strat copy, changing the pots, pickups, pickguard...
it's experience, and it's worth all the time you'll put into it
You can flip them pretty easily, no problems.

As for replacing pickups, paying somebody £50 to solder two wires is a waste personally.

You can get a cheap soldering iron for £3 and some solder for £2.

Its very simple to do.
^ Indeed.

When removing the previous pickups/swapping the wires on the switches around, would I need to go through the desoldering procedure? Accounts of how to do this recommend a desoldering pump. Or, would it be sufficient just to heat the solder up enough to be able to remove the wire and then solder as normal. Logic would suggest that new solder on old solder is probably not a good idea, is that the case?
Sure you can do it like that, its the lazy way of doing it, but it isnt the end of the world, and can still result in strong solder joints, i tend to rewire guitars just using the old solder alone, as long as it isnt cold its fine. Because you dont want massive glubs of solder on it, if you can pick up a desoldering pump/braid then i would, because its good practice, but if not, dont worry about it.

Only thing is youd be soldering from DPDT switches which have a tendancy to melt if you spend too much time messing about.