After having it for a year I'm selling my Crate Palomino V16 tomorrow morning, it's a nice amp but I need something higher wattage and more versatile. I guess mainly I'm after a tone similar to Joe Satriani, but I want to be able to do everything from good cleans to metal. My favorite amps I've tried so far are the Peavey JSX, XXX and the Bogner Alchemist. I found a decent deal on a Triple XXX combo (120W, looks really similar to the JSX combo), but how does that compare to the JSX? I might pull the trigger on that if it's a similar amp. I also found a deal on a Hughes and Kettner Tube 50, but I've never played one and wasn't able to find too much info on it (seems like a really underrated amp though). The Bogner might be a bit out of my price range unless I can find a deal secondhand. Any other suggestions are very welcome.

Budget at the moment is about $600 (I can stretch it every couple weeks as I make more money), I will most likely buy used, and I'll be using it in jams with a drummer and other guitarists. My guitars at the moment are an HSS MIJ strat and a recently acquired ESP LTD H-51.

tldr: selling amp, need versatile tube amp that can get Satch tones for around $600

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Peavey Ultra or XXX would do the job for a cheaper price then the JSX. There all pretty much the same amp.
The JSX is just a modded/improved XXX. Its pretty similar but a bit better. I'd probably go the XXX, but if the JSX isnt much more, maybe that instead. Just go which ever you liked more.
Quote by Ghold125
Peavey Ultra or XXX would do the job for a cheaper price then the JSX. There all pretty much the same amp.

Yeah I figured, do you think 500 for a XXX 120W combo is a good price? I only know what the Super 40s and such go for...
Hmm $500 seems about right, try and talk down the price a bit if you can. Iv noticed over the past few months that there have been very few Ultras/XXX on the used market lately, so the price has been rising a bit.
Quote by Ghold125
Hmm $500 seems about right, try and talk down the price a bit if you can. Iv noticed over the past few months that there have been very few Ultras/XXX on the used market lately, so the price has been rising a bit.

Unfortunately it's an ebay deal so I can't really. There's a super 40 for 400 in my area, and yeah I've been looking for these amps for some time and you're right, prices are rising. I really didn't notice too much difference between the XXX and JSX, and I know Satch used a XXX back in the day (crystal planet tour/G3 '97 I think).

Anyone have any opinions on the H&K?
Quote by edbert
Unfortunately it's an ebay deal so I can't really. There's a super 40 for 400 in my area, and yeah I've been looking for these amps for some time and you're right, prices are rising. I really didn't notice too much difference between the XXX and JSX, and I know Satch used a XXX back in the day (crystal planet tour/G3 '97 I think).

Anyone have any opinions on the H&K?

Joe was using Marshalls back then, the Anniversary ones with the purple tolex (6100 I think)
He had prototype JSX's for the G3 '03 tour, they were in XXX headshells. The JSX is very similar to the XXX anyway.
Quote by littlephil
Joe was using Marshalls back then, the Anniversary ones with the purple tolex (6100 I think)
He had prototype JSX's for the G3 '03 tour, they were in XXX headshells. The JSX is very similar to the XXX anyway.

Yeah you're right, his early tone is probably my favorite, if only I could get my hands on a 6100 lol. Definitely leaning towards the XXX though, especially since I'd only be paying $250 out of pocket after I sell my current amp.
Yeah, they are VERY close, the JSX is just a slightly modified XXX anyway. His earlier tone is mostly Marshalls (live anyway) but the XXX will get you a great tone for Satch stuff.
Quote by littlephil
Yeah, they are VERY close, the JSX is just a slightly modified XXX anyway. His earlier tone is mostly Marshalls (live anyway) but the XXX will get you a great tone for Satch stuff.

Ok cool, I'm convinced, I'm selling my palomino for $250 which will cover half of the XXX (I'm not exactly strapped for cash anymore so I can settle for 500). I know I can get satch tones and I won't be regretting not getting a JSX lol since they're pretty much the same amp. Plus I bet if I use my chorus pedal on the crunch channel I can get something damn close to his Surfing tone without using a 6100LM.

Thanks guys