Hello i have a les paul studio and i do regularly replace the strings, but this time i'm looking to replace them all at once and clean my instrument. my question is:
When i take all the strings off at once, will my bridge come off? if so, is it easy to put back on? or does it just rest on top of the wood and held down by the strings?

thanks!
If you turn the guitar upside down then yeah,, it'll fall right off. keep the guitar level and it will stay on, it's not like it's spring-loaded. If it does come off, so long as the mounting studs stay in place then you can put the bridge back on again, it just slides on the posts. Make sure you remember which way around it goes, or you'll mess up the intonation.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
it stays on pretty well, the screws won't come out. when i clean my guitar i just take it off anyway to polish under it, but i leave the screws there
www.myspace.com/decognition

Guitar Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk||
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
Yes, gibson decided that they wouldn't take an extra few minutes to secure the bridge with screws or glue, but would rather just sit it there and use string tension to secure it...

You see those little twisty ribbed thingys at the bottom of the bridge on either side, attached to the body? Those are the screws which sink into the body securing the bridge. So unless you undo those, the bridge won't move.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Be more worried about the stoptail, which will slide off pretty readily when you take the strings off. It goes back on easily but just make sure you hold on to it so it doesn't scratch the finish.
Quote by seemeel
Yes, gibson decided that they wouldn't take an extra few minutes to secure the bridge with screws or glue, but would rather just sit it there and use string tension to secure it...
If they glued it, you wouldn't be able to adjust it for action. Some bridges do use grub sews (or small magnets) to lock the bridge on, but it took forty-odd years for any company to do that. You could equally ask why it took Fender so long to use a two-pivot system on their bridges, why haven't Floyd Rose started making units with push-in and magnetic locking bars yet, why doens't every guitar have a piezo pickup installed in every saddle, why don't acoustics have adjustable bridges, etc.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Yeah, it's really not a problem after the first time you do it and the bridge falls off.
like said it you keep the guitar upright you're bridge will stay put. however the stoptail will come off regardless of what you do, but they can just be put right back into place without any adjusting.