Boondock Saints.

I intend on pursuing Film as my major in University. I have watched most of the greats out there. I saw this today on Netflix, and it was almost 2 hours of pure MANLY entertainment.

Now, when I watch a movie I enjoyed, I like to do some research on it, and I have seen it being heavily criticized by pretentious critics (rottentomatoes.com) and etc.

I realize that there is nothing profound about this movie, but it was awesome. And because I enjoyed watching it, that makes it good (even if it was crap). And that is a view I have which I am not sure I should considering my future career.

Are great movies supposed to be great because of originality and overall quality ( The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, Pulp Fiction all movies I love) or because of its overall entertainment given while watched ( Boondock Saints, Step Brothers, Anchorman, Euro Trip, etc etc).

I would like your guys opinions, is it simply elitism that is going on with the so-called experts in the field? Or do they have a point?
Doesn't read TS post......

The expendables = man flick.
May the Schwartz be with us! 2012

MAL

Q: OK, so do you care about the labels — nastiest, edgiest team in the NFL?

Jim Schwartz: It's better than the alternative — meekest, least aggressive, softest team in the NFL.

You mentioned two very different genres. The Godfather and Pulp Fiction are way different category than Step Brothers and Anchorman. I think comedy can never reach the "classic" status because it is too silly. Of course some people will say the "classics" are boring and Will Ferrell comedy is the best. Basically it's a matter of opinion with the exception that comedies will never become "classics" in the same way that serious action/drama films will.
They do and they don't.

I know for a fact that 96+% of people hate on "popular" things just for the sake of being "unique" or something stupid like that. So that is obviously a factor.

However, they are trained and educated in film. They have the ability to catch flaws, plot holes, and little details that nobody else can. Believe it or not, but something as simple as lighting can completely ruin a film and usually does.
Dude that movies a cult classic. the second one kind of missed its mark but the first is purely amazing. If you haven't yet watch the deleted scenes.
To Guitar Sushi: I know that, thats the point. I mean I love both groups, not for the same reasons. The Godfather and Apocalypse Now are masterpieces, but at the same time, Anchorman, while technically a pile of crap (artistically) was extremely enjoyable to watch.
Boondock Saints was an epic movie, the sequel was okay but then again I was the only one that noticed that Sean Patrick Flannery was abusing botox
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
To me personally, it's about how enjoyable the movie is. For instance, in my media class I watched Rashomon, a classic japanese film celebrated for the way the story was told (mostly in flashbacks, very innovative when it came out). I actually fell asleep watching this movie. I don't care what critics have to say about it, it's utterly boring.
I'M A COWBOY
MAN FLICK at a glance looked like MAN FUCK.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by fail
MAN FLICK at a glance looked like MAN FUCK.

this.
Smell ya later!
Quote by Hippy's Son
wow, these people are a bunch of stupid drama queens. everybody dies, idiots, not every guitar breaks.

UG's resident Pokemon Leauge Champion!
Pokemon RBY CYOA!
I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Boondock Saints.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Kickass movie.
Highly recommend the second one as well. I saw it last week. Needless to say, it was awesome.
Quote by Vornik
I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Boondock Saints.

Really? I thought everyone knew it was wannabe Tarantino with a fascist heart.
You just watched Boondock Saints for the first time in 2010 and you think you know movies and film? LOL
Quote by Metalology
You'll probably get some praise from people in as sad of a situation as you or maybe some laughs from people who enjoy your lame sense of humor.

lolwut

a blog that should be floating in the toilet. toiletfloater.blogspot.com
Quote by slight☼return
You just watched Boondock Saints for the first time in 2010 and you think you know movies and film? LOL

Excuse me for having lists of movies I still want to see?
I too am planning on going to school for Film (If my musician career doesnt work out for me). And, in my opinion, if you can make a movie where someone doesnt get bored during the entire duration of the movie, and as a bonus the film is very well made, you are a good filmmaker. For example, like you said, movies like Anchorman and Step Brothers, while very funny and entertaining, lets face it, are a bit lacking in the filmmaking department. While other movies, such as Pulp Fiction and Boondock Saints, which entertain just from the sheer fact that it is a greatly made movie but also have humourous parts (Yew and yeh styupid feckin rope), are quality filmmaking. having the best of both worlds y'know? Both Quality and Humor. I hope all of that made sense O_O lol

but thats just my opinion.
~Rest In Peace Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan~

Tumblr: Follow?
Quote by Guitar Sushi
I think comedy can never reach the "classic" status because it is too silly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJOuoyoMhj8

Can't tell me that's not a classic film.

Also, pretty much everything Monty Python ever did.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace