Alright, title sounds noobish. I know how to record covers, but whats a program that I could use to cover a song with? I want it to have video and audio. It'd be cool if I could play lead guitar, and then have a small video inside the video showing me playing the harmony to that lead guitar. Ya know? Any suggestions?
Windows Movie Maker if you're on a PC, iMovie if you're on a Mac.

Both are preinstalled on whichever system you use and I know you can do that window thing with movie maker
The Fade To Black cover in my sig is kind of like that, except it was just two takes of the same solo instead of harmony. I used Blender, which is free and can do just about anything with video, but it's not the easiest program to use. I recorded audio and video separately for both takes, combined the videos in Blender, mixed the audio in Audacity (also free) then used Windows Live Movie Maker (also free) to sync up the audio to the video and output the final HD video file (syncing up audio to HD video in Blender isn't quite as easy).
Thanks guys. I'll try the movie maker one first.. (totally forgot about that program) and see how the quality is. If it's crap, I'll try the things Van said.
eww, windows movie maker...that thing crashes way too often to even work with!

Heres what I suggest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JjgGLghbyo

It's more expensive to record with two devices at the same time however you get the best sound quality and it's what I do for all of my videos.
I suggest looking into some of the Sony video editing programs or Adobe Premiere Elements as they are much lower in price than the high end software but these do work very well....WAY better than WMM.
As for audio software, record with Reaper and then export the WAV into the video editing program of choice.

In terms of hardware, this interface is a nice start.

BTW, Blender is ok but I just tried it last night for the first time and found the interface to be very strange and hard to figure out....even for someone like me who can figure out most programs. I ended up installing 3DS Max 8 which I still had laying around.
Either way, Blender is built around 3D modeling and animation, it's not really a video editing type program...
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 11, 2010,
Quote by moody07747
BTW, Blender is ok but I just tried it last night for the first time and found the interface to be very strange and hard to figure out....even for someone like me who can figure out most programs. I ended up installing 3DS Max 8 which I still had laying around.
Either way, Blender is built around 3D modeling and animation, it's not really a video editing type program...
Even though it's not primarily a video editing program, the sequencer (video editor) is an important part of animation and it's not a 'low budget' operation (even though it's free ). It can do stuff that a lot of other cheap or free programs can't, especially if you use composite nodes in addition to the sequencer (I did my FtoB video using composite nodes to get the nice alpha fade between the video in the corner and the full screen). The main problem I've run into is adding sound to HD video, but that's a piece of cake with any other video editing program (like WMM).

I agree about the difficulty though, the learning curve is more like a cliff and it does take some commitment. The main reason I use it for my cover videos is because I had a couple years of experience using it for 3D animations (shameless plug for my best one )
Last edited by van01010100 at Jun 11, 2010,
Very nice work on that animation Van. I've had 3DS Max 8 for a few years but just got around to installing it and for whatever reason, I can just figure it out easier.
I just did this little logo animation today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI2qU9qzqck

In the end it will spin much slower and loop. I want to use it for my new podcast coming out soon on computers.