So my birthday is coming up in a week and a half and I have a feeling (my sister told me) my parents are going to get me a Valveking 212 I told them about that's on clearence at guitar center for $250. The only downside is I won't have the effects like I do on my Vyper, so I figured the best solution is to buy a multi-effect pedal with some of my graduation money. And that brings me to my actual question, what multi-effect pedal? I'm considering...

Boss ME-70- The only one I've actually played, I love the sound and the fact you can switch individual effects on and off, but some of the higher gain distortion sounded fizzy.

Digitech RP-500- This one I'm really on the fence about, I have an old RP-80 that I only used when I started playing and when I was in a band so I could switch between clean and distorted sounds, I don't like the lack of flexablity, I don't know if the 500 is any different (the one they have guitar center isn't working) so any input would be helpful here.

Line 6 M9 Stompbox Modeler- I played an M13 about a year ago and this is a smaller version of that but I've never played one and I don't know how different it is from the M13.

That's all I can think off, sorry for the essay, any help would be nice. If you think of something I didn't feel free to suggest something. My budget is around $350 US, I play classic rock and classic metal (Joe Walsh, Pink Floyd, some random blues, to Guns N' Roses, Metallica, and Alice in Chains type stuff) amp models aren't really important to me but being able to tweek effect settings is, I'm not really into pods so please don't suggest those, and I already have a Wah pedal so that's not a big deal. Also, if you're going to tell me something is good or something sucks, please give me a reason why, it helps weed out annoying bandwagon jumpers. Once again i'm sorry for the essay I but wanted to get my point across and avoid a lot of little questions later.
Thanks in advance.
I would go for the m9 or m13
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by WSR66
I would go for the m9 or m13
This. Definitely the best out their in your budget.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
used nova system or m13. theres some right now on ebay for at/under 350

other than that, the m9 is good, but it really feels more like a little brother to the m13 than its own thing. it just lacks some of my fav features from when i had the m13

EDIT: if you're wary of ebay, guitar center used has 2 nova systems for $350 each in their system, and an m13 also at $350. so you'll even be able to buy from a brick and mortar with a 30 day return policy. shizammm
Last edited by josephde at Jun 11, 2010,
The Boss multi effects are nice, but you're right, the distortions have always been a bit on the fizzy side. I've used several of their multi effects units over the years and that's always been my impression of their distortions, too.

If your budget is around $350 I'd check into the Digitech RP-1000. It has a lot more features and effects than the RP-500 for about $100 bucks more. I've been using one for the past year and have been very impressed with it - I think it's the best value out there in your price range.
Thanks for the quick responses.

I never thought of looking for a used M13, but then again I'm really not the brighest person.

I've never heard of a nova system, anyone have any experience with them?

Stoic- Are the effects on the RP-500 or 1000 (I'm not sure what one you're using) adjustable? One of the things I hated about my RP-80 was the effects had 9 presets and that was it, for example phaser was P1-P9 and each one was a little faster and had a little more depth, it took forever to setup. but I think that was just cause it was a cheap pedal.

But I'm seriously considering a used M13. Does anyone know if guitar center will ship used gear from one store to the store by me (Des Moines, Iowa) or if I have to order it online? I'd prefer to just pay cash and get it in person if I can.

One more thing, does anyone know how the Overdrive and Distortion effects on the M9/M13 sound? Basically, are the good or spider-esque? Lol that was mostly a joke but seriously anything you know would be great.
ive had the m13 - the sounds are fantastic man. very quality stuff.

the nova system is analog and sounds absolutely amazing. theres a sweet demo vid of pete thorn demoing it, id look it up. itd be a tough pick between the m13 and that...

as far as gc used, afaik you have to order direct from the other store and they ship it direct to you. though you can return it at any GC for a refund
Quote by josephde
ive had the m13 - the sounds are fantastic man. very quality stuff.

the nova system is analog and sounds absolutely amazing. theres a sweet demo vid of pete thorn demoing it, id look it up. itd be a tough pick between the m13 and that...

as far as gc used, afaik you have to order direct from the other store and they ship it direct to you. though you can return it at any GC for a refund

Only the drive is analog, everything else is digital. Awesome unit though. I am between that one and the Digitech GSP1101, but I think now I am leaning more towards the Nova System. I don't really care about the amp/cab sims.