dreadnought guitar vs jumbo.....41 inch jumbo (example:Epiphone EJ-200)is bigger than 41 inch dreadnought......?? size different only 1/2 inch ?
Last edited by firefire123 at Jun 11, 2010,
Jumbo guitars tend to have a slightly wider body and a rounder shape than dreadnoughts. Here's a side-by-side pic of a Martin D-18, the classic dreadnought, and a Gibson J-200, the classic jumbo:

IMHO, jumbos sound a lot more resonant and bassy, and I find them more comfortable to hold. I'll see if I can find a couple good YouTube videos to give you a better idea of the sound.

EDIT: I couldn't find any demo videos I particularly liked, so I'll just pick a couple random tracks off my iPod -- "Teach Your Children" (dreadnought) and "Lucky Man" (jumbo). Hardly a perfect comparison, but eh, great songs and they've got two of the same chords
Last edited by obeythepenguin at Jun 11, 2010,
the volume also different right?
if dreadnought volume is 7/10
then jumbo guitar volume is ???/10
^ Not necessarily. Volume and projectoin depend on how the guitar is built. Not it's shape, necessarily. I've played a few high end concert guitars that were louder than a lot of lower priced dreadnoughts.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Back when I started playing, all the "good" acoustic pickers locally were in two camps. Martin or Guild. Martin dreads were very popular, but quite a few guys liked the big Guilds as well.
I always found the Guilds to be rather bass-y, as noted above.
Martins vary a lot from model to model. I had a D-18, and it had a very balanced sound. However I played several older D-28s and even a D-35 that had a very different tone...Leaning strongly to the bass.
I recall reading somewhere that many acoustic pickers preferred the less-expensive D-18 for recording because of it's superior balance, while they liked the rosewood models for live playing as they "cut through" the typical string-band ensemble.

Hehe....I had to give up big guitars because of my aging shoulders... I play a little Yamaha "O" sized instrument now.