Like ok, here's a riff I've been playing (Face Down -Red Jumpsuit Apparatus)

E|----------13-------13/15-13-|
B|-11----11----11--------------|
G|----10----------10-----------|
D|------------------------------|
A|------------------------------|
D|------------------------------| (Distorted)

When I'm playing it (Index finger on 10, Middle on 11 and pinky on 13) it sounds like crap. The distortion from the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd notes run together and just sound like a chord. How do I stop this?
"This nightmare's gonna break me.
Please, Daylight, save me..."
simultaneously mute each string as you play the next one
this is just 3string sweep picking
Last edited by RoBoHoBo8080 at Jun 11, 2010,
start by turning the gain down and maybe the treble a bit too...

does this song let the notes ring or should they end sooner?
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
I don't particularly like the song, so I don't recognize the riff.

But if you are having a problem with notes running together the solution should be obvious.
Don't let the notes ring out.
Quote by DontPushMongo
I don't particularly like the song, so I don't recognize the riff.

But if you are having a problem with notes running together the solution should be obvious.
Don't let the notes ring out.

Is there a particular trick to not letting them ring out? I mean, do I just let up on the string?
"This nightmare's gonna break me.
Please, Daylight, save me..."
Quote by DaysofGrace
Is there a particular trick to not letting them ring out? I mean, do I just let up on the string?

Usually, yes. If there's a lot of fretting hand action, it's sometimes easier to use your picking hand f you can ht the ringing strings.
guitar
amp

some pedals
i have just had a lessons and doing exercise similar to ur riff...and here is the way as i understand- in ur riff i will

1. fret down 11
2. play 11
3. unfret 11, but dun let the finger leave the string, mute it, and simulantely, fret 10
4. play 10
5. unfret 10....................
tired of finger speed exercise and turned into slow blues improvisation lately
Quote by molala2
i have just had a lessons and doing exercise similar to ur riff...and here is the way as i understand- in ur riff i will

1. fret down 11
2. play 11
3. unfret 11, but dun let the finger leave the string, mute it, and simultaneously, fret 10
4. play 10
5. unfret 10....................

this.
(its a bitch, i know)

when moving your hand down the strings in a riff like this, find a way to use either the opposable part of your picking hand (below the thumb) or your thumb itself to mute the string previous to the one you're playing (it's an awkward pain in the ass initially, but it becomes second nature within a few days)

when moving up, use the back of your fingers on your fretting hand to rest on the strings before it (you probably already do this)