Page 1 of 2
I am currently writing an article on the "Art of Pop Music". As many of you know, I am an avid fan of pop music, but thats not important at the moment. Whats important is that I can get some honest opinions about the subject.

1. Do you enjoy pop music? Please explain why you like/dislike it to the best of your abilities.
2. How would you define "pop music"?
3. Favorite pop song/artist/album/etc.?
4. Favorite genres of music?
5. Are pop musicians "REAL" musicians? Please explain to the best of your ability.
6. Is image important in music?
7. Any other comments you would like to add?

JacobTheEdit: I forgot a question. I added it in.
Last edited by JacobTheMe at Jun 11, 2010,
1. i don't really like pop. I can't really say why I like or dislike any music.
2. popular music. Music that people like because other people like it.
3. Michael Jackson.
4. Metal, blues, baroque, classic rock, jazz.
5. I suppose, yes.
6. In pop it is, not in most other genres.
7. dicks.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
1. Do you enjoy pop music? Please explain why you like/dislike it to the best of your abilities.
I like it. It is very different from the other things I listen to. It usually has a fast-paced, upbeat tempo, and usually has catchy lyrics/vocal melodies.

As a genre, not just "popular" music. Artists such as Kesha, Lady GaGa, Black Eyes Peas, etc.

Song: Tik Tok by Kesha
Artist: Lady GaGa
Album: The Fame by Lady GaGa EDIT: This Is It by Michael Jackson

4. Are pop musicians "REAL" musicians? Please explain to the best of your ability.
Yes. Of course. They perform their own songs, and have to come up with a unique vocal melody.

5. Is image important in music?
I believe so. If they're outgoing and spontaneous (ala Lady GaGa), they wil get more public attention and draw a bigger fan base

6. Any other comments you would like to add?
lol nah.

EDIT:

Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Metalcore, Pop, Alternative Rock, Pop Punk
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Jun 11, 2010,
One word: BEATLES.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
1. Do you enjoy pop music? Please explain why you like/dislike it to the best of your abilities. - Yes, I like it because it is catchy, simple and easy to listen to.

2. How would you define "pop music"? - Simple, catchy instrumentation and melodies with easily relateable lyrics.

Song - Never Forget - Take That
Album - The Circus - Take That
You can probably guess the artist

4. Favorite genres of music? Rock, metal, pop, JRock, trip hop, punk

5. Are pop musicians "REAL" musicians? Please explain to the best of your ability. I consider artists in any genre to be "real" musicians if they write their own music/lyrics, perform their songs well live and/or play instruments.

6. Is image important in music? Yes, image is just as important as the music, lyrics, stage show etc.

7. Any other comments you would like to add? The Jonas Brothers. Seriously.
Last edited by SilentHeaven109 at Jun 11, 2010,
1. Yes for some, no for others. I usually go by how catchy the song is instead of how complex.
2. Popular music, Top 40 stuff.
3. Artist: Lady GaGa; Album: 808's And Heartbreaks - Kanye West
4. Hip-Hop/Rap, Post-Rock, Indie, Electronica, Alternative.
5. Of course. Just because their music is generally less complex is doesn't make them any less of a musician. They still make music.
6. A strong yes. Lady GaGa's shock value, Taylor Swift girl-next-door appeal, Gangster Rap, Scene following are examples.
7. Nay

EDIT: Re-thought 6, updated it.

EDIT 2: Re-thought 3, updated it.
Time keeps on slipping...

Quote by skaterskagg1
AtomicPunk7 is uncreative.
Last edited by AtomicPunk7 at Jun 11, 2010,
1. Like every genre, I like some artists/songs and I dislike some. I don't dislike the genre, if that's what your asking,
2. Music with a simplistic structure and composition that lacks any sort of "extreme" nature meant to appeal to a large group of people.
3. Lady Gaga, Toto, Michael Jackson, many mainstream rock acts (I consider them pop)
4. I don't take into account genre when it comes to me liking something. I do tend towards rock (as general as that is).
5. Anybody that makes music is a "real" musician. That statement may draw some arguments, but that's the way it is.
6. OF COURSE. Image matters in EVERYTHING. No exception. Doesn't matter how mainstream or popular something is, image plays a huge role.
7. See number 6
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
1.No I don't enjoy pop music usually. But this all depends on what definition of pop you are using. If you say that The Beatles are pop, then yes I enjoy pop. If you say Ke$ha is pop, then no I think pop is utter bull sh*t.
2.I define pop as music that is popular at a certain time, for example, in the 60s folk/soft rock bands were pop, in (part of) the 70s disco was pop etc.
3.Artist-The Beatles, Album-Revolver. Song-She Said, She Said
4.Jazz (not smooth jazz though), certain types of metal (math metal, experimental metal, etc), indie rock and punk rock
5.I think it depends on whether or not the music is made with art as a goal. I think the Beatles were artists because they made music to be art and not to gain wealth (they stopped touring so they could experiment more in the studio). Most modern pop artists (Ke$ha, 3OHO,Cobra Starship) are only interested in getting money from their songs and albums. They don't care about the artistic merit (or lack thereof) of what they are doing. Also many pop artists today don't even write their own material.
6.No image isn't important. Its about the music, not how you look or what weird things you do to get noticed.
7.I think that at the moment, pop music is dead, and has been dead for awhile. Although I do consider some modern day pop artists (such as Lady Gaga) as actual artists, most music that is played on popular music stations sucks. Really, really, sucks. Oh and thanks Jacobtheme for asking about this. It made me think a little bit.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I love you!

Quote by jibran
You live in Australia.

Bill Frisell Group
1. Not if you mean popular music, as that slick, autotuned, overeffecty guitars, electric drums, rapping, etc shit. Although I do enjoy some of the pop that the singer isn't autotuned, and the drums are real, and there's no rap. That I'm ok with. Not lady gaga or kanye west or Justin bieber. I do not like lady gaga and those type of pop music people because thier voices aren't real for the most part, and the whole sound is much too overproduced.
2. Musical genre that usually contains autotuned vocals, rspping, and outside writers. In it for the money.
3. This ones actually funny. I like that song, evacuate the dance floor by kaskada(idk spelling). I have no idea why I like it, but I do. Also I don't mind Katy Perrys songs other than that I kissed. A Girl one, it's anoying.
4. Blues, rock, alternative, indie, psychadelic, drone, shoegaze, grunge, folk, punk, pop-punk, hard rock, glam rock/metal, British rock, etc.
5. If they autotune alot, don't play any instruments and/or use outside writters alot, no. I think this because then it takes no talent to make money. There not working for it.
6. Image is slightly important to music, to the extent thst you don't look like a homeless person. Other than that, the way you look doesn't matter very much.
7. I think that's it. Hope it helps.
Do you mean pop as in simple, catchy, predominantly happy radio music? Or pop music as opposed to classical, including all types of rock and so on?

Assuming the former:

It can be okay, but I'm not a big fan. I mainly like complexity and unpredictability in music, music that forced you to listen and smashes you in the face with its melodies, stuff that's overtly emotional or powerful. Pop music tends to be the opposite of that, so it tends to just be acceptably pleasant-sounding IMO.

The most popular music at any given time. Also, see the start of the post

No idea. I quite like Cascada, The Beatles have their moments, I'm sure there's more than that but that's all the pop I can remember right now.

Metal, prog, and just starting to really get into classical.

5. Are pop musicians "REAL" musicians? Please explain to the best of your ability.
Yes. I draw the line at whether people play music or not, defining "real" musicians as anything more than that just makes it needlessly complicated and a bit elitist.

Not in the actual art, but it is in the industry.

Paul Merton is a comic genius. His sketch show was a perfect mix of visual gags, verbal wit and surreal whimsy. It's a fucking shame he's wasted on a panel show.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jun 11, 2010,
1. I don't enjoy modern pop, I guess it just doesn't "click" with me. Unless I'm drunk that is. Pop makes great intoxicated party music.

2. Pop is just the popular music of the time period. Whether that be today's pop like Lady GaGa, or the Brill Building pop of long ago.

3. Michael Jackson, enough said.

4. Blues, ska, jazz, punk, and good old fashioned rock n' roll.

5. Yes, they are real musicians, many of them are quite talented. They just tend to be more commercially-minded then artists in other genres.

6. Image can be important. If an artist can get by on sheer technical skill and/or originality, great. Some artists thrive on image and do just fine for themselves.

Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
1. Do you enjoy pop music? In the car in the background it's better than nothing

2. How would you define "pop music"? When the musik is a set formulae, a formula that is used because it has made money before

3. Favorite pop song/artist/album/etc.? My favourite band of All-time is the Red Hot Chili Peppers who I would not call a pop band but have had a fair share of radio play

4. Favorite genres of music? funk to progressive metal

5. Are pop musicians "REAL" musicians? I think that's just elitism

6. Is image important in music? -.-
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I could get in a debate about some of your answers, but I think I am going to let it all slide for now, just for research's sake.

But thanks again.
I am currently writing an article on the "Art of Pop Music". As many of you know, I am an avid fan of pop music, but thats not important at the moment. Whats important is that I can get some honest opinions about the subject.

Of course I enjoy some pop music; a lot of it is really creative and artistic, just like any other music.

Popular music; any music that has been or is currently popular.

Probably Stone Temple Pilots, or Jimi Hendrix. Band of Gypsys.

Everything. I don't really have favorites. I listen to Rap, Rock, Classical, Reggae, Techno, Alternative, Extreme Metal, everything.

Anyone who uses any form of musical instrument (computers and voice counts) is a musician. So yes.

To me? Hell no. To some people? Definitely.

Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I enjoy some such as Lady Gaga that are slightly original and talented, But Justin Bieber Kesha and any other Autotuned untalented artist that use effects I can't stand.

Music liked by the majority of people.

Poker Face - Lady Gaga - The Fame.

Metal, Blues, and Jazz.

I believe anyone who creates music is a musician.

I personally don't care about image but many pop artists are based on image.

I did you mother last night.

EDIT: I thought this was on modern pop music so if it wasn't disregard this.
Last edited by Cheeselord at Jun 11, 2010,
Quote by JacobTheMe
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I could get in a debate about some of your answers, but I think I am going to let it all slide for now, just for research's sake.

I also wanted to argue with... well a couple certain posters, but I didn't want to spam up your thread.

Is this for a paper, an article, or just personal?
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by JayT44
I also wanted to argue with... well a couple certain posters, but I didn't want to spam up your thread.

Is this for a paper, an article, or just personal?

I was reading the columns here on UG and got angry that a bunch of the articles were just 13 year olds complaining without any sort of evidence or persuasion that "all pop is music is bad because I don't like it".

So I am going to write a couple articles that I hope will educate some people and give them a certain respect for pop music. So a bit of everything, I guess.

Yes I enjoy it. Don't know exactly why, other then the catchy-ness of the music, its simple to listen to, just good fun I guess you could say.

Simple music aimed at appealing towards as many people as possible more specifically towards youth, often using the latest technology to produce new variations of older musical themes, often resulting in a heavily processed sound to the music.

At the moment, Lady Gaga, The Fame Monster

Prog rock., jazz

As long as they have some sort of role in the creation of the song then yes (im looking at you milli vanilli). Also I feel that the artist should feel some connection to the song they are performing, which isnt always the case in pop music.

I think that more then ever image is important in pop music. If you dont have the looks, chances are you wont get signed and chances are you wont sell records. People like a nice face behind the music they are listening to and they want the people behind their favorite music to be someone they can model themselves after. A role model, in style, looks and attitude.

no not really
It's pretty much all I listen to nowadays. I like it because I found that I like anything marketable and catchy with a good hook.

Hard one. I guess music that actually sells.

Changes every five minutes. Miley Cyrus and Adam Lambert are constant though.

Pop, metal, rock.

Some of them. There are a few who seem to lack any musical ability, but keep up in the charts because of a good hook in a song.

In pop, it is.

I happen to like music that sells, and I shouldn't be ripped on for it.
Quote by JacobTheMe
I was reading the columns here on UG and got angry that a bunch of the articles were just 13 year olds complaining without any sort of evidence or persuasion that "all pop is music is bad because I don't like it".

So I am going to write a couple articles that I hope will educate some people and give them a certain respect for pop music. So a bit of everything, I guess.

*cough* packman *cough*

What? Did you hear something?

I hate that guy so much.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
1. Do you enjoy pop music? Please explain why you like/dislike it to the best of your abilities. Depends on the artist and the way we define pop. If we define pop by album sales and billboard charts, I do in some cases. If we define pop with a sound, depends on the sound, as most pop acts tend to bring their genre before they were big into their music(Michael Jackson brought R&B, The Beatles brought Skiffle, even today The Black-Eyed Peas bring rap, etc.). But I'll go ahead and say yes, because I find the sound of certain pop artists enjoyable. Same time though I honest-to-god carry earplugs around so I don't have to hear that one fucking Kesha song every station is playing as it drives me mad.

2. How would you define "pop music"? Generally I define it as "A streamlined, mass-marketing 'lowest common denominator' form of music that is a combination of a commercial sensibility with an artist's own personal genre", albeit only if they're a hit. "pop" means popular, if it never gets into a Billboard Top 200, I don't consider it pop.

3. Favorite pop song/artist/album/etc.? It varies, but generally it's somewhere with A Hard Day's Night, Smooth Criminal, Bob Dylan's 115th Dream, the vast majority of the Slowhand album/The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen if you want to lower them to that, 70's Clapton/Most of the Beatles discography, Thriller, Bringing It All Back Home, and Slowhand.

4. Favorite genres of music? Mainly blues, rock, prog and Jazz-Fusion, though lately I've been smitten with the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Billy Joel, Frampton, Rod Stewart, and Rush.

5. Are pop musicians "REAL" musicians? Please explain to the best of your ability. In most cases. I define a "real" musician as someone with the ability to write and/or sing/play original music, as a sideman, a member of the band, or the focus. If a pop musician doesn't lipsync and sings and/or plays an instrument and can write their material without being atrocious, then as far as I'm concerned, they're a real musician.

6. Is image important in music? Of course. Nobody wants to promote a folk musician with cheery singalong songs if they look like they'll kill themselves, and conversely nobody wants a deathcore singer who looks like a member of the Four Seasons if neither are trying to be ironic. It doesn't go beyond the music, but nine of ten times people will see you before they hear you, fit your music, don't turn someone who'd like you away.

7. Any other comments you would like to add? This survey felt kind of sterile. Not horridly so, but some extra personality in the "questioner" would be nice. Also as long as we're talking about Pop, I'd like to plug an artist who's labeled as pop in iTunes when I ripped the CD, but who by my sales-concerned definition, isn't Pop, and who is one of my favourite modern artists; Erin McCarley. She puts on a great live show and has an absolutely beautiful voice, and actually sings! No autotune! Please, support her and at least buy a track or two digitally, it'd only be $1 or $2 that way if you don't like her.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jun 11, 2010,
1. Yes, sometimes. Pop music is catchy by definition, and it can be done very well.
2. Pop music is catchy, often relying upon simple and memorable melodies and rhythms. It is often music produced for commercial purposes, or at least tied to the mainstream music industry.
3. Not sure really.
4. Alternative/Rock/Indie
5. Yes, they are real musicians of varying standard. Some are excellent, some just dancing muppets with minor skills. Many are excellent performers.
6. Image is not important in music, but can be complimentary. Lady Gaga's image should be taken separately to her music, but it is an artistic expression all the same. It can also give authenticity to an artist, e.g. gangsta rappers aren't going to be taken seriously dressed like hobos. Sometimes it is taken too far though.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
I enjoy some pop music. I only like the music if the song is intelligently written or relates to me in some way.
Popular music. However, pop tends to focus on vocals and lyrics rather than instrumentation. Pop music isn't a genre of itself. Ex. pop rock: Oasis, Pop country: Rascal Flatts.
Song: Gary Jules' cover of Mad World
Artist: Brett Dennen
Album: So Much More - Brett Dennen
Metal (and it's sub-genres), Rock, and some progressive music.
Some are and some aren't. Writing lyrics isn't musical, it's poetic, and that's all that some pop musicians contribute to a song. Most are real musicians though.
I don't think that it should be, but it obviously is.
Pop musicians like Justin Bieber, Ke$ha, Lady Gaga, and Owl City are the type of pop artists that I can't stand. I don't find anything unique about them, they're not very talented musically, and their lyrics are about as deep as a glass of water.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that the majority of the audience for pop has the attention span of a rodent. You know who I'm talking about. The people who call a 3 month old song "old."
Last edited by TheChaz at Jun 11, 2010,

There is some I like and dislike, just like with all music.

I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean anymore, but I use it to refer to what is popular.

These are all by my definition of pop:
Song- "Heartbreak Warfare"- John Mayer
Artist- blink 182
Album- "The Resistance"- Muse

Rock/Metal/Punk (and their various subgenres), Hip Hop/Rap, Country. And less regularly listened to but I love just as much: Classical, Electronica, Latin, Blues

I typically don't consider many popular musicians "musicains" (if that made any sense), but by definiton, they are musicians.

Hell yes. It can have a great impact on the music itself and for other obvious reasons.

Like I said, the definition is debatable, so this might not be what you need. And no, Heartbreak Warfare is not my favorite John Mayer song and The Resistance is not my favorite Muse album. I used those examples to stick with my main point.
I would just like to add that I strongly believe that there is no such thing as a bad musical genre. I really believe that if you look hard enough, anyone can find something they enjoy listening to in any genre. Sure different genres may be harder to find something listenable and enjoyable for different people, but I think that there are bands/artists out there that can appeal to anyone no matter what the genre.
1. generally not of my own choice. it sounds kinda boring.
2. anything you hear on the radio that's not rap/hip hop or rock
3. lady gaga.
4. metal, punk, progressive, hardcore, a little jazz here and there
5. if they perform their music well (and especially without autotune) then yes.
6. to an extent
7. no
Go Veg.

Currently, I don't really enjoy it. Most pop music is oversimplified, and doesn't have any interesting points of engagement that I like to have. It is a product of an age where we move too fast, with too little patience and too much instant gratification. The catchy melodies, singular dynamics, and limited diatonicism reflects these cultural errors.

Pop music is any music that is relatively simple in form and composition, with a focus on a stable, static rhythmic pulse intended to compliment social settings.

none

classical

Yes, they are. The music they make or perform don't have a long shelf life or any real significance, but they are nonetheless creating music.

Music made for pure listening should have no image factors. Music is the art of sound, and should be appreciated as such. However, pop music has a certain degree of utilitarianism, and therefore image must be considered as part of the "complete package" of commercial sales. I don't think it's right, but it is natural for this kind of pop art.

Although I don't like pop music, it still has its place in our culture. It can still move people and it still has some functioning purpose. But it is getting too callous and is having a negative impact on the younger generation.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

In general, not really. I find it too repetitive or just lacking in some way. Now and then there's the odd song out I'll listen to. Usually ballads for some reason.

Pleasing melodies, simple song structures, little to no focus on instruments, usually heavy production and use of 'synthetic' sounds.

Some of Justin Timberlake's stuff is good.

Progressive, metal, funk, modern rock, tons of boring subgenres.

Some are, some are not. Some actually have a clue what they are doing musically, and write their own songs, others just sing what some fat guy in a suit and a record company tells them to. If you can WRITE music, you are a musician.

Oh yes, very. Imagine if Coldplay looked like the guys from LOG or a similar band. Not happening right?
Last edited by Våd Hamster at Jun 11, 2010,

No. It does not appeal to me at all.

If that's what genre the band is.

None.

Blues, hard rock, metal, alt rock

If they play the instrument/sing themselves, then yes. If not, then no.

Somewhat.

Nope
Quote by JacobTheMe

I enjoy some pop music. I think a lot of it is "filler," as in songs that are just written so they can be sold. Similar to bad sitcoms. Theres nothing particularly good about the bad sitcom, but they put it on because they need to fill space, and people are still gonna watch it since theres nothing else to watch. Then every now and then, you get a good sitcom like scrubs. I would compare a good sitcom to a good pop song. The music I generally listen to, you could compare to indie films (I use the term indie very loosely; fight club, american history x, but also legit indie stuff)

I would define pop music loosely as music the general populous can enjoy. Pretty sounds that you can just put on and casually listen to. Every generations pop music has its own sound.

I like muse a lot.

Classical is where my heart is. I also love jazz, and have a thing for bands like tool and radiohead.

I think they are musicians. But comparing Justin Bieber to say, Ralph Vaughan Williams, or Edward Elgar is like comparing the painter you hired to do your walls to Da Vinci. Justin Bieber gets the job done so to speak; he writes okay sounding music that people can enjoy; the same way the painter matches colors on a wall and makes them look pretty, and makes the room flow, etc. But if you want true depth and beauty, you need a real artist

Image is not important in music. Image is important in performing. When your writing an album, no ones ever going to know if you were wearing sweat pants and an untucked shirt with pizza stains. When you get on a stage, you better know exactly what your image is

I enjoy pop music when it's done well, when people get over the mass-marketed, image obsessed side of the industry at the bottom of it is often catchy, well structured music filled with effective harmonies and modulations.

Music that is marketed to the biggest audience possible.

At the moment I'm really diggin Tightrope feat. Big Boi by Janelle Monae. Girl is going to be big.

Independant, Jazz, Electronica, Ambient, Pop, Hip-Hop, Rock.

Yes they are real musicians, this idea often gets distorted as people look at it how they've 'sold out' and reached a bigger target audience and how they've compromised their artistic values etc. This is not even relevant when it comes to popular music.

Considering how this determines how popular an artist is then yes image is important. It should always be about the music though.

Ke$ha; you're not doing anything new, you're redundant. Uffie wants her style back.
I love pop music. It generally tends to draw influence from whatever is happening at the time, while at the same time refining certain techniques and sounds into a science. Plus coming from a predominantly production-based musical point of view, I can say that the type of work that goes into writing and producing a pop song is very intriguing.

Anything that is popular, or on the current radio charts. I don't consider it to be any one sound, really.

Right now it's probably "Empire State of Mind" by my definition of pop. I'm quite partial to a lot of the more synth-based pop from every decade, especially stuff like this.

As far as what I listen to on a regular basis: Detroit techno, breakcore, downtempo, jazz, and dubstep.

Of course. I don't believe there is a scale that quantifies how much of a "musician" someone is. If you make, play, write or sing music, then you are a musician.

If someone really feels like pushing it further, I'd argue that there's simply a lot more that goes into what pop musicians do than what they get credit for. You wouldn't understand how much work goes into it unless you tried it, like everything in life.

Of course. If you want to sell a product you have to have some kind of advertising to stick in people's minds (be that a certain style of dress, mannerisms, or a clever marketing campaign) and barring radio exposure, there aren't too many ways to do that with audio that don't conflict with noise pollution laws.

To be honest, I feel this shouldn't even be a debate. I think it's a sad day when people feel the need for an art form to be legitimized somehow. Music is just a bunch of sine vibrations in the air, after all.

And also, to all of you saying that pop artists are only musicians if they had a hand in creating the song... That would make all you guitarists who don't write your own music nonmusicians as well, seeing as you are performing a song written by another. Pop singers are kind of like that, they just have a little bit (read: a lot) more personality and a strong image, stage presence, and a good, recognizable voice.
Last edited by xaviergray at Jun 11, 2010,
1. Do you enjoy pop music? Please explain why you like/dislike it to the best of your
abilities.

No. I enjoy complex structures, good layering, good use of theory, technical ability, and memorable melodies, but even then they beat it into your head so much that you tire of it quickly. Pop really only ever has the last one. I really only stray from that if there's something else to the music that makes it unique; an unusual instrument for example.

Edit: I also despise repetative music.

Tough question. Personally, I consider pop music to be anything truly popular. From the Beatles to Ke$ha. 90s pop is different than 60s pop, but it's still pop.

No thanks

Metal and Classical mainly, though I do have a passion for chinese folk music.

Of course. People who disagree are either pretentious jazz/classical musicians or 13 year old, zit-covered kids with no friends who spend their evenings listening to AC/DC.

Absolutely.

For someone who pretends to be all about diversity and being open to the idea that all music is subjective you sure do slam metal a lot.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Jun 11, 2010,
Quote by JacobTheMe
I like it. I don't go out of my way to listen to it, but if someone like Katy Perry is on, I generally enjoy it. I don't enjoy all pop musicians, though.
Quote by JacobTheMe
Umm, the type of music that's being played on more youthful radio stations, or being played in more teenage youthful stores like Gap or something. Stuff on MTV, and shit.
Quote by JacobTheMe
Uh, I tend to like women more than men in Pop. If I had to say favorite REALLY Poppy song, I'd either go with "Hot And Cold" by Katy Perry or "Smile" by Lily allen, even though they're a bit older.
Quote by JacobTheMe
First Electronica, followed by Classical, Rock and then I guess Jazz.
Quote by JacobTheMe
Sure they are. Even if they don't write, and all they do is sing and their voice is put through all kinds of editing and shit, they're still contributing their musical abilities to a song. There are some of them that have a good knowledge of music (Ex. Lady Gaga), and some not so much.
Quote by JacobTheMe
It is to me a little bit. I really like how my favorite Electronica artists have a very laid back and intellectual image, and tend to be very interesting and unusual people. But it is a lot more important to other people than it is to me, and I don't see anything wrong with this.
Quote by JacobTheMe
People on UG bash Pop too much for stupid reasons.
Quote by JacobTheMe

1. No, i don't like music made just to shift units.
2. Different to 'popular music' at least nowdays. Metallica are a very popular band for instance but arn't 'pop music' like lady gaga and so forth.
3.None
4. Experimental , blues, blues rock, industrial music, dark ambient (and other similar electronic stuff that falls into this) , singer songwriter type stuff like Nick Cave, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits etc.
5. Yes, they're just ones whos music is manufactured and who are in it for the money.
6. No the music is important in music.
I had to simplify this whole post because the long one crashed the browsing.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jun 11, 2010,
- I don't enjoy pop music as in buying tickets to conserts and stuff, but I don't mind listening to it. I'd rather listen to other genres though.
- Music created for being catchy, with a lot less feel behind the lyrics than in other genres. Made to sell.
- Micheal Jackson (preferably "Beat It")
- Hard rock and metal.
- Most of them. But the ones who don't write anything on their own or play an instrument, as well as using auto-tune in the studio or lip-syncing live - they are not musicians.
- I'd say the image is more important than the music in pop music, but not in other genres.
- I heard u liek Mudkipz?
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!

- Generally, no, I find it too simple and average. I'm always looking for new interpretations of music, and while some pop may be catchy, it's typically so generic i end up losing interest.

- The popular music of the time. It's played on general radio stations and people who casually listen to music are easily swept into it. What's popular amongst teens and kids.

-Hm, Well as most have said, I can dig the Beatles, and if you consider that indie stuff pop then that isn't too bad either.

Post-rock, Experimental/Ambient/New Age, Jazz, Classical, Folk.

-Occasionally. Not the ones who rely solely on an image and simply get other people to write their music and rely on expensive equipment to sound good.

- No, the image only detracts from the music. People shouldn't be judging what they see, they should be judging what they hear.

- I don't believe all pop is bad, but as of the last 10 years I've rarely heard a pop song that I actually enjoy.
Quote by JacobTheMe
1. Do you enjoy pop music? Please explain why you like/dislike it to the best of your abilities. - Not really, though there is some I would be partial to. I find there is a real lack of energy in the music, and the way most of it sounds doesn't appeal to me.
2. How would you define "pop music"? - Mainstream that you would here played on most radio stations.
3. Favorite pop song/artist/album/etc.? - What Hurts The Most/Cascada/Perfect Day
4. Favorite genres of music? - Metal, Rock, Classical, Orchestral
5. Are pop musicians "REAL" musicians? Please explain to the best of your ability. - Most aren't I don't think. Most pop is over-produced in the studio, and alot of the musicians don't need any real talent, especially vocalists.
6. Is image important in music? - It shouldn't be, but in most music these days it is. Usually an artist who is good looking is more likely to get signed, and less is expected of them.
7. Any other comments you would like to add? - Nope

My answers in bold.

No, I don't particularly. I dislike it because it is simplistic, often has an immoral message, and was (by definition) created to be consumed.

Pre-modern popular music was better than modern popular music, on account of it being more closely related to custom and of it not being created specifically for it to consumed.

Music that appeals to a large number of people, and was created to be consumed above all else. Any definition of popular music excludes traditional music (such as folk songs), world music (such as African music) and art music (such as classical).

Christian pop music is tolerable and that would include material by Sufjan Stevens.

"Classical" music of most forms, folk/popular songs, and sacred music.

Not in the sense that they create music for artistic purposes, because they create it primarily to be consumed. Also the lyrical content of (especially modern) popular music means that it isn't "real" music as it is not created for the purpose of glorifiying God, as that is the final purpose of all music.

Only in the performance, and even then it is not the most important consideration.

Yes, contary to what other people have said, essentially all of them listen to popular music, as all forms of "rock" including "metal" are popular music.
Last edited by Nosferatu Man at Jun 11, 2010,
Well, with pop being such a vague term, I can't really say if i like or dislike it. But the cheesy cliche and simple electo-pop is not of my liking. Some of "pop" like Pop-Rock or Singer-Songwriter kind of pop is actually pleasant to hear on the radio.

Pop music is whatever's on the charts as long as it is not metal. I.e. Pop-Rock, Electro-Pop, "Pop-Country".

I can't really tell.

Progressive Rock and Metal, though I also listen to other "non-prog" stuff.

It depends: If a model suddenly felt like starting to sing and release an album talking about how hot she is and how she likes potential rapists ("bad boys"), she is in my opinion no musician then. On another note, the pop musicians that puts a lot of efforts into it are in my opinion real musicians.

No, not in my opinion at least; have you seen the freak show of a band named Kansas? They're still awesome though! Something loosely related to image, the act's live shows, are very important.

No, not really.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Jun 11, 2010,
Page 1 of 2