Page 1 of 2
Hello, I have a question for all of you who know a thing or two about cheap SS amp heads. I'm looking to get myself a new amp head brand new in the $250 range. (I'm cheap, I know) And no I will not save up for a more expensive one because I think these two do the job JUST FINE. However I cannot decide between the new Ibanez Toneblaster TBX150H and the B-52 LS100. For those of you who are making faces because of my awkward choices in amps, I tried both and they're both raunchy!

My band plays metal only, so I don't need a versatile amp, just a good clean and a heavy distortion. I've tried both amps and between their features they're even in my book, so I need opinions on which one I should get. I know most of you tube fans would reply with "neither" but I want a SS amp because I don't have the money to keep up with tube amps. I want a Randall RG100 ES, but they're not even remotely in my price range if I ever did find one.

If there is another amp I'm over looking that can be bought new for $250 that does some serious metal, I'm open to ideas. I'm just not open to the idea of a used amp or a tube amp.

Opinions?
Gear:
-Mesa Dual Rectifier (3 Channel) with KT88 and KT66 Tubes
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Ibanez Tone Blaster TBX150H
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
With a B-52 you'd be able to deliver nuclear weapons. If you're into that sort of thing.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
I play Solid State amps exclusively, because I like the gain and because I like the bite. People are brainwashed into thinking that a "warm" tone is desirable. Sometimes tube heads just sound like mud. I don't want to sound "Warm"- I want to sound harsh and metallic and in-yo-face! Personally, I would recommend looking for a Marshall Lead 100 Mosfet. You can find them for around 200 bucks, usually. They're indestructible, have an awesome clean sound, and distort all to hell if you want them to. There are usually a couple on eBay. Like you, I play metal and a lot of punk, and like a no-frills amp. Just a suggestion. The Ibanez heads sound like toys, and my buddy at Guitar Center told me that the B-52s are made poorly. Let us know what you get!
Quote by scorpio2billion
my buddy at Guitar Center told me that the B-52s are made poorly

Ooh, your 'buddy told you? How awfully reliable and reputable your source is!
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by seemeel
Ooh, your 'buddy told you? How awfully reliable and reputable your source is!

I have to somewhat assume that his buddy must be biased in some way because the B-52 amps are next to indestructible. The Ibanez amps, though may sound like toys to some peoples ears, have the tightest, thickest, distortion next to the Peavey XXL and the RG100 ES. But they hum like a school girl on a sugar high...
Gear:
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
I've played both, save your money, get a used Randall Warhead. I honestly cannot recommend either amp to you in good faith.
Quote by josephde
this thread is 5 posts in and already delivering

Lol, I would like to keep this thread strictly about helping me decide what amp to get, so lets not get off task here!
Gear:
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
Quote by phlip999
I've played both, save your money, get a used Randall Warhead. I honestly cannot recommend either amp to you in good faith.

There are several reasons why I'm not gona get a Warhead. Though I'd love one, they're way too expensive and if something happened to it, it'd be irreplaceable. Maybe sometime down the road if I was a professional I would get one, but right now I'm more likely to break the amp or get it stolen and then I'm out like $800. I could replace the other two 2 or 3 times for the price of a warhead.

My concern is with these two amps and the $250 price range only.
Gear:
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
dude, its like choosing to get punched in the face or kicked in the gut. just flip a coin cause theyre both gonna suck about equally
Quote by josephde
dude, its like choosing to get punched in the face or kicked in the gut. just flip a coin cause theyre both gonna suck about equally

Trust me man, with amp I have now, I get kicked in the nuts every time I turn it on, I think I'll choose the face or the gut either way. Every time I ask "which product" everyone says "save your money, don't buy cheap things" like everyone is made of money. Music is a hobby, and in this economy I can't afford to spend a grand on a hobby when I can get a pretty close sound at a fraction of the price. All I'm asking, is if I'm gona get kicked in the nuts, who's boot do I want it from?
Gear:
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
i have got a randall rg 100es that i am looking to get rid of. i would part with it for $250+shipping. its in rough shape in terms of beauity though. sounds razor sharp. my pm's dont work, so if you are interested, post back here, or email me at anderson0090 at gmail dot com
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
the thing is nobodys saying to spend a grand, they're saying be smarter with the budget you do have
Quote by scorpio2billion
I play Solid State amps exclusively, because I like the gain and because I like the bite. People are brainwashed into thinking that a "warm" tone is desirable. Sometimes tube heads just sound like mud. I don't want to sound "Warm"- I want to sound harsh and metallic and in-yo-face! Personally, I would recommend looking for a Marshall Lead 100 Mosfet. You can find them for around 200 bucks, usually. They're indestructible, have an awesome clean sound, and distort all to hell if you want them to. There are usually a couple on eBay. Like you, I play metal and a lot of punk, and like a no-frills amp. Just a suggestion. The Ibanez heads sound like toys, and my buddy at Guitar Center told me that the B-52s are made poorly. Let us know what you get!

oh you mean you want a soldano slo? well except the harsh and metallic. more like you'd sound like an angry bear in your face. and people would actually want to listen to you.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I've played the ibanez, it's alright if you EQ it right, but you can't really get nice cleans. I can't imagine that the b-52 could be worse. I think you should look around online for some older used heads, you could find a lot of cheap SS Peavey's and Crate's
Go used and you could get an Ampeg VH-140, Warhead, or even the Peavey XXL. They all sound hella better then your previous options.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Go used and you could get an Ampeg VH-140, Warhead, or even the Peavey XXL. They all sound hella better then your previous options.

+1

Or find another SS Randall head besides the Warhead. Randall SS amps are pretty decent for metal on a budget...and go pretty cheap used...and will sound way better than the B-52 or Ibanez you listed. Why does it have to be SS again? You could pick up the B-52 AT100 or Crate Blue Voodoo head for that budget. They're both great budget metal amps.
Quote by eyebanez333
+1

Or find another SS Randall head besides the Warhead. Randall SS amps are pretty decent for metal on a budget...and go pretty cheap used...and will sound way better than the B-52 or Ibanez you listed. Why does it have to be SS again? You could pick up the B-52 AT100 or Crate Blue Voodoo head for that budget. They're both great budget metal amps.

It has to be SS because I can't afford to pay for college and car payments and tubes when they go bad. I'm not accepting ideas for used amps because you can get anything used for $250 if you wait around long enough, the idea is that I'm not going to wait. I've been patiently watching craigslist and ebay daily for a few years now looking for a new head and the right thing hasn't come up, so I'm just gone buy a new one. All my gear is cheap crap, Behringer pedals, Douglas guitars, and cheap solid state amps and I can get perfectly adequate sounds for what I do with them. I doesn't bother me, and I've tried both amps and I LIKE THEM BOTH. I would buy both if it was practical, but I'm only gona get one. All I wanted was opinions on which one to get.
Gear:
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
Quote by xXBansheeXx
All my gear is cheap crap, Behringer pedals, Douglas guitars, and cheap solid state amps and I can get perfectly adequate sounds for what I do with them. I doesn't bother me, and I've tried both amps and I LIKE THEM BOTH. I would buy both if it was practical, but I'm only gona get one. All I wanted was opinions on which one to get.
Well if you don't like our suggestions on a higher-quality amplifiers, you should totally get both. You could a/b/y them, and get some INSANE ROCKSTAR TONEZ!

Seriously, do you want to keep having cheap crap, or would you rather have cheap quality?
Go for the Ampeg VH140c or SS140c. It'll eat other SS amps alive.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Well if you don't like our suggestions on a higher-quality amplifiers, you should totally get both. You could a/b/y them, and get some INSANE ROCKSTAR TONEZ!

Seriously, do you want to keep having cheap crap, or would you rather have cheap quality?

+1 to the B52 & Ibanez stereo rig

Quote by xXBansheeXx
It has to be SS because I can't afford to pay for college and car payments and tubes when they go bad. I'm not accepting ideas for used amps because you can get anything used for $250 if you wait around long enough, the idea is that I'm not going to wait. I've been patiently watching craigslist and ebay daily for a few years now looking for a new head and the right thing hasn't come up, so I'm just gone buy a new one. All my gear is cheap crap, Behringer pedals, Douglas guitars, and cheap solid state amps and I can get perfectly adequate sounds for what I do with them. I doesn't bother me, and I've tried both amps and I LIKE THEM BOTH. I would buy both if it was practical, but I'm only gona get one. All I wanted was opinions on which one to get.

you cant afford the 50 bucks every like 2-3 years that it takes to maintain a tube amp? wow

it sounds like you think tubes just die on you all the time like shitty batteries. they last years dude.
You've been looking used? But have you known what to look for?

Before you buy either of these, do yourself a favour and just give a search for an Ampeg VH140C, Peavey XXL or a Randall G2 or G3. All solid states, all probably better than what you're looking at right now. The Ampeg was a staple for metal for years.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
it is likely that no one on this board will give you an answer you're looking for so all i can suggest is get what you want. since you like both and can't decide then flip a coin and go from there. i highly doubt anyone here will suggest either to you (as you can probably see) so you're the only one that can make that decision.

unlike most people on this forum I think people can get what they like. i understand completely not wanting to deal with tube amps, its understandable because its just easier to deal with SS. this is not to say that tubes are a huge hassle but SS are just less of a hassle. i know people who have amps that no one on this forum would recommend (such as a Line 6 Spider 3 Head) as well as expensive tube amps and very much likes to use the Spider in most circumstances (bars and small clubs), sure its not as good quality-wise but it has its benefits as well. in addition, some people like SS or cheap Digital tones because it has a different tonal character and this is what they're looking for and this is completely acceptable in my book. So rather than continue I will give you this advice:

1) Between the Ibanez and B52 you're gonna have to just pick which one you think is best for you (crank both in the store and see which one holds up best at higher volumes)

2) Do not be afraid to try looking into the amps people are suggesting (the used Ampeg's, Peavey's, Randall's, because you can get these heads for in your price range). Also if you're afraid to go used, or can't find these amps used in your area then you may also be interested in a new Crate Flexwave or Randall RX. If you are stuck on the Ibanez and B52 still then again crank the amp and see which one you prefer from there.
Vox valvetronix XL series?

older peaveys like the Peavey Supreme 160 might be allright too. Hard to find though. I was offered one for $160 a while back.

You'd get a lot more for your money with a used SS amp, they sell for absolutely dirt ****ing cheap no matter where you are.
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
Also if you're afraid to go used, or can't find these amps used in your area then you may also be interested in a new Crate Flexwave or Randall RX.
Yah, those Flexwaves are killer!

Quote by eyebanez333
+1 to the B52 & Ibanez stereo rig

That's +2 now, be careful you may unleash the fookin' crushing overdrive of my inflated ego!
Quote by xXBansheeXx
I've been patiently watching craigslist and ebay daily for a few years now looking for a new head and the right thing hasn't come up, so I'm just gone buy a new one.

A few years and nothing has popped up on ebay? Why do I find that hard to believe? Buying a cheap SS amp new doesn't make sense if you want something you can break and not cry. This is a huge brainfart.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by scorpio2billion

My Peavey XXX can get harsher than any solid-state amp you could ever find if I want it too. And listen to 'Death Magnetic.' A lot of that album was harsher than all hell, and they used tube amps.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
it is likely that no one on this board will give you an answer you're looking for

i think the issue is that most helpful UG'ers arent going to recommend an amp when a much better alternative exists thats just as easily accessible and in the same budget, that fits what the TS is actually looking for
Quote by josephde
i think the issue is that most helpful UG'ers arent going to recommend an amp when a much better alternative exists thats just as easily accessible and in the same budget, that fits what the TS is actually looking for

which is exactly why I said that this will not coincide with his wishes for people to pick between the 2 amps he is considering. i find it good that UG'ers do offer better alternatives but UG must also recognize that some people will not be as open and will want to stick within a range they are comfortable with. suggestions should be made outside of the TS's list of amps, perhaps notifying them that 'better' amps are available in the price range; however, if a TS is set on 2 amps then UG should do its best not to ridicule the TS for his preferences at the current time.

just wanting to make the forum a nicer and more respectful place is all
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
which is exactly why I said that this will not coincide with his wishes for people to pick between the 2 amps he is considering. i find it good that UG'ers do offer better alternatives but UG must also recognize that some people will not be as open and will want to stick within a range they are comfortable with. suggestions should be made outside of the TS's list of amps, perhaps notifying them that 'better' amps are available in the price range; however, if a TS is set on 2 amps then UG should do its best not to ridicule the TS for his preferences at the current time.

just wanting to make the forum a nicer and more respectful place is all

+1
Quote by xXBansheeXx
The Ibanez amps, though may sound like toys to some peoples ears, have the tightest, thickest, distortion next to the Peavey XXL and the RG100 ES.

I think you're ears are broke. The TBX series are so thin and shrill sounding on the drive channel that its sickening. Its like somebody took a can of angry bees and took all of the bass and mids away.

Quote by xXBansheeXx
Every time I ask "which product" everyone says "save your money, don't buy cheap things" like everyone is made of money. Music is a hobby, and in this economy I can't afford to spend a grand on a hobby when I can get a pretty close sound at a fraction of the price.

Thats why people tell you to save your money, because we all know that not everyone is made of money. However, if you save it and just deal with what you have for now then you will be able to get something much better in the future. But if you wanna go ahead and waste your money on something that you'll most likely regret purchasing when you realize how awful it sounds then go ahead.

Also, these amps may be a fraction of the cost of tube amps or even some higher end SS amps but I guarantee you that they sound nowhere close to them.

Honestly this thread is so full of epic phailzorz that its pointless to even make an attempt to help. Just go ahead and buy a Toneblaster (yea, they named it that because it blasts away any tone that one may find enjoyable) or an MG or Spider or something.
You know you can get a Bugera 6262 for about 500$ ... even though that's twice your budget, its really the cheapest great metal-only amp out there
So much hate from people who have never even touched one of these amps, . You guys are a joke.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
It's pretty obvious. You guys really shouldn't recommend amplifiers until you stop listening with your eyes.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by scorpio2billion
Personally, I would recommend looking for a Marshall Lead 100 Mosfet. You can find them for around 200 bucks, usually. They're indestructible, have an awesome clean sound, and distort all to hell if you want them to. There are usually a couple on eBay.

case in point, i saw one for $200 on my local C-list. here
never tried the amp myself so i dont have any idea if it is worth looking into. but if you check it out and think its decent, it may be worth emailing the guy to see if he would ship it. shouldnt cost more than $50 to ship, so its still within your budget.

i personally would hate to have to choose between the amps you have listed. but if i had to, i would not get the ibanez. i find it sounds horrible. little to no experience with the b-52, but its hard to imagine it being worse than the ibanez.
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
It's pretty obvious. You guys really shouldn't recommend amplifiers until you stop listening with your eyes.

it's pretty obvious that you shouldn't assume things.

There's several B-52 amps at my local GC, including the LS. Then there's a Toneblaster halfstack at my local Guitar Trader.
As I've said before, I cannot recommend either amp in good faith. I have played through both extensively, and the only good thing I can say about the B-52 is that it's a little better than the Ibanez, and that isn't saying much. Honestly, I would rather plug my guitar into a turkey sandwich than either of those amps. Save your money, get a used Laney AOR or a used HRC-50.
Page 1 of 2