Hey check out these cab constructions.

So the mesa and the marshal both mount the centerblock unto the front baffle. The mesa uses a big thick piece of wood in a t shape with a screw in front and a screw in back. Marshall uses 2 pieces of paper held down by staples.

check this out.

this cab
has a double reinforced crossbeam with the entire center block mounted to one side of the crossbeams.

this cab
has the center block mounted into the baffle

it looks like it's glued in then screwed in to reinforce the seal.

This cab
utilizes a four base plate into the baffle anchoring with an additional screw anchoring the entire backplate to the centerblock. Mesa has that extra screw as well.

cool huh. There's not a lot of tech in guitar cabs but there's definitely wacky shit going on.

I thought I had centerblock pictures of the Mesa and the Marshall I used to own. But I don't. Archive fail. Anyhow.

Why Cabs are different.

the more you know. ding!
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
There's not a lot of tech in guitar cabs but there's definitely wacky shit going on.

Actually, there is more than you would think. There are formulas and stuff that people use when they build a cab and the dimensions and size can change the sound a fair bit. I've never built a cab but I know the dimensions are pretty critical.
Stuff like baffles and that aren't as critical as the dimensions, but they'll still make a difference.
I guess you could say I'm baffled...
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Hmmm... interesting...

I know that painting it black has a huge affect on tone, ut those cross beams n such. Now I know why most amateurs build 2x12!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I was tempted to give you a "cool story, bro" but i guess the more reinforced cabs would give a tighter sound. Even a slight difference to the resonance will affect the tone

edit: damn by the time i typed this up on my iphone there have been 4 replies, me thinkz this may be a clever disguise for cab/speaker pr0nz
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Jun 11, 2010,
no the thickness of the baffle as well as the stiffness of the centerblock in relation to the baffle has a massive affect on the tone of your cabinet.

212s are much easier because the baffle is not under nearly as much stress.

Take the center-block out of your 412 and see how it sounds turned up.

Additionally, from the get go Fender and Marshall employed different size baffles and mounting structures for their cabs.
cool cab tech

punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jun 11, 2010,
Gumbi I need you to build me a 412 cab out of a solid piece of redwood.

hey gumbi is that a rotating speaker?
Quote by AcousticMirror
Gumbi I need you to build me a 412 cab out of a solid piece of redwood.

hey gumbi is that a rotating speaker?

it's a drum that rotates around the speaker, it projects the sounds around the room, creates doppler, phase, chorus, and vibrato effects.

that one is made out of like AAAA maple. redic, that is almost as bad as redwood.

-ae
dunno, i just heard maple. most likely a veneer though. cost enough for them to build it solid maple though.

-ae
Quote by littlephil
Actually, there is more than you would think. There are formulas and stuff that people use when they build a cab and the dimensions and size can change the sound a fair bit. I've never built a cab but I know the dimensions are pretty critical.
Stuff like baffles and that aren't as critical as the dimensions, but they'll still make a difference.

Maybe now there is science to it, but not always. The original Marshall Stack, the ridic 8x12"s were simply the best way to pack 8 speakers in a box.
Then the 4x12s that came after were simply the 8x12 cut in half.

And even then, there's not much science in guitar cabs. A speaker in a box is pretty much good enough. Now, bass cabs, there neeeeeeds to be science to create a good tone.
yeah, most the science goes into hifi cabs.

dr. z's cab does have some cool porting and the such though. you can find some exceptions but nothing like tuned 3-way hifi cabs.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
it's a drum that rotates around the speaker, it projects the sounds around the room, creates doppler, phase, chorus, and vibrato effects.

that one is made out of like AAAA maple. redic, that is almost as bad as redwood.

my parents are chinese so for reason they felt it necessary to buy ridic redwood furniture. I have no clue. I don't even know. When I go home this summer imma turn a china cabinet into a guitar cab. teehee.
how does the greyhound living in the top cab affect the tone?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
that's not a greyhound that's my cats gigantic mop for a tale. she's 90 percent fur.
wow
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I opened up my early nineties front loaded 400 watt H&K 4x12 yesterday to see how I would go about swapping the speakers. The cab is completely sealed, neither the back or baffle can be removed. (No screws accessible that I could find)
Anyways, this cabs centre support is actually a piece of 13 ply mounted horizontally, between the top two and bottom two speakers.
Needless to say, after looking inside this cab, I can see why it's the thickest, darkest and heaviest 4x12 I've ever encountered.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Jun 11, 2010,
the more we know. Ya it looks like the HK would be front loading then? It would be very very stiff if there's no space for vibration between the centerblock and back piece. If the back piece is solid and part of the sides that's gonna be a completely different sound then a cab with removable sides.