Poll: How Versatile is Your Band? (on a covers standpoint)
Poll Options
View poll results: How Versatile is Your Band? (on a covers standpoint)
Not Versatile
6 26%
Somewhat Versatile
4 17%
Versatile
4 17%
A Little More Than Versatile
3 13%
Very Versatile
6 26%
Voters: 23.
Just wondering, Cause me and my band (1.5 years old) were going over our setlist, and we added a hefty amount of songs to that list that we wanna learn, and I noticed a nice variety in genres/artists. It ranges from Vampire Weekend (whom of which I just heard of today) to Rage against the machine, to the strokes, to metallica, no doubt, zeppelin, beatles, rhcp, rolling stones, etc. wacky stuff. So I'd say very versatile, then again this is just playing others people music. Though I have a feeling our own stuff will be pretty wacky from time to time.
anybody wanna put anything here just let me know
Last edited by societies_worm at Jun 11, 2010,
i heard vampire weekend on the colbert report, i wasnt impressed. they kept complaining about the use of commas before the word and. like in red, white, and blue the said it should be red, white and blue.

anyways my band isnt really that versatile. we played holy diver, fade to black, crazy train, and enter sandman at our high school concert thing that we had
Last edited by rickyj at Jun 11, 2010,
Quote by rickyj
i heard vampire weekend on the colbert report, i wasnt impressed. they kept complaining about the use of commas before the word and. like in red, white, and blue the said it should be red, white and blue.

what the fuk?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
I am so diverse that I play songs from many different sub-genres of rock!

And I love Vampire Weekend, but how haven't you heard of them before? They are SUPER popular.
Quote by Momentosis
what the fuk?

lol is the question about the fact that i watched the colbert report or that vampire weekend is obsessed with grammar?

sorry off topic but

from Wikipedia

"On June 3, 2010 the band was interviewed by Stephen Colbert on the Colbert Report. Colbert argued that the "Oxford Comma" was indeed important despite the band and Ezra's disagreement. The band played their song Holiday from Contra."
Last edited by rickyj at Jun 11, 2010,
My band is so versatile. We play a 23-minute song that goes from blues to country to pop-punk to metalcore to technical melodic death to rap all in one.

/doesnthaveaband
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by JacobTheMe

And I love Vampire Weekend, but how haven't you heard of them before? They are SUPER popular.

My thoughts exactly

No my main band isn't versatile.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
I like to be completly unaware of genres, when I'm writting I put no thought into genre, so I'm not versatile at all but extremely versatile
Quote by JacobTheMe

well im into early 70's - early 90's metal and occasionally blues and classical so that might have something to do with it

im not sure how they can be SUPER popular seeing as how they have 2 albums, when they're still selling chart topping albums in 2025 let me now.
Quote by rickyj
well im into early 70's - early 90's metal and occasionally blues and classical so that might have something to do with it

im not sure how they can be SUPER popular seeing as how they have 2 albums, when they're still selling chart topping albums in 2025 let me now.

Their first album went platinum in the UK and gold in the USA and Australia. Not to mention that it was #17 on the US charts and #15 on the UK charts.

Their second album is gold in both Australia and the UK and has only been out about six months. Not to mention that it ranked #1 in the US and #3 in the UK.

You are right. They are unknown.
Quote by JacobTheMe

I myself, am a very stubborn guy when it comes to listening to music. I hardly give anything modern a chance unless its a supergroup with guys from bands in the 70's-90's. The radio stations I listen too are all classic rock up until the 90's. Don't get me wrong some of the modern stuff I heard is pretty decent, but not my preference.
my drummer though, psh, he listens to all sorts of shit.
Quote by societies_worm
It ranges from Vampire Weekend (whom of which I just heard of today) to Rage against the machine, to the strokes, to metallica, no doubt, zeppelin, beatles, rhcp, rolling stones, etc. wacky stuff.

I don't wanna be a dick, but I don't think those are as diverse as you think. I've never heard Vampire Weekend, but i'd say all of those are "rock" bands.

A good example of diversity in a band would be Frank Zappa's band. They went from rock, to reggae, to polka, to jazz, to everything else.
So your band goes from really gay pop to Mexican liberation rap-metal?
Your band sounds like it sucks
love is love // return to dust
My band so far has done two Beatles covers (Birthday and Eleanor Rigby), and Ain't No Rest For The Wicked by Cage the Elephant. We're also working on learning this song soon. Not exactly diverse, but I think it works well
Quote by rickyj

anyways my band isnt really that versatile. we played holy diver, fade to black, crazy train, and enter sandman at our high school concert thing that we had

They weren't complaining about the use of oxford commas, stephen was. It was a reference to one of their songs
Quote by tancanada
So your band goes from really gay pop to Mexican liberation rap-metal?
Your band sounds like it sucks

HAHAHA!!! Yea. Pretty much.
Seeing as my band is me and my computer, my computer has loops for all kinds of crap in Garageband, and I've played gigs subbing for friends in metal and hard rock bands, and have played one or two solo shows of folk, blues and jazz music, I would say that my half-man-half-machine duo is fairly versatile. That said, I'm not inherently a metal writer or player, or for that matter a reggae, jazz, bebop, etc. musician, so I try not to go and incorporate ten genres in five songs and stick to my fortes.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jun 11, 2010,