I have recently made my mind up that I need new bass cabs, but I really don't know what I should be looking at except for these specs I require:

Either a 4x10 and 1x15 or 2 seperate 4x10s (no fridges here, folks)
At least 1100watts power handling between them
8 ohms each (to be a 4 ohm pairing)
good low end and high mids especially
paper, not aluminium
as transparent as possible

any ideas?

EDIT: Oh and my absolute max price is $3000AU though I'd rather not have to go anywhere near that.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Jun 11, 2010,
Quote by Thunderbird660
Ashdown cabs have never failed me before. And they sound about right for your description

He asked for transparant cabs. If there is one thing Ashdown isn't its transparant.

Have a look at:
- SWR working pro series
- GK NEO series
- EBS Proline series

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I'd say the best thing you could do, would be to go down to your local music store and try some out (if you have one, I know this is not always possible).

Personally I use an Ampeg SVT 115, but I bought it on a whim because I needed a new cab, and it was going cheap on eBay. I had little experience with them, but I figured if I didn't like it I could resell it; regardless, I was more than pleased when I got it.

My advice is worth little really, because all I have to compare it to is my old crappy brandless 1x15, and Ashdown amps (because that's all my local store stocks), and to be honest I found Ashdown amps generally to be pretty crap.

So bare my lack of experience in mind when I say this, but I find my Ampeg to be pretty damn transparent. Most of the time I don't want my sound coloured, I just want to hear my bass, and the Ampeg does this better than cab I've played through before. Despite being a 1x15, it still has a crisp top-end, and you can hear every little nuance.

Again though, take this with a pinch of salt, the other posters advice is probably more reliable than mine.
Are you looking for neo speakers or traditional designs?

For AU$3,000.00 you can get a fantastic set of cabinets (that's US$2,550.00). EBS and SWR both make great cabinets in 4x10 and 1x15 configurations that should suit you well. Eden and Schroeder cabinets are supposed to be pretty transparent. I've played Eden but only heard from people who've spoken highly of Schroeder cabinets.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Those Schroeder cabs look amazing, but they are definitely out of my price range. (remember the crazily-inflated Oz prices)
What do you guys think of the SWR GoLight series?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Quote by gilly_90
What do you guys think of the SWR GoLight series?

They look great and are endorsed by Marcus Miller, but they are very new and haven't made it into the shops around here yet. Still, if Marcus Miller put his name on them, I suspect that they are very, very good.
the problem with most of this stuff is that I can't try it out. The places near me have Hartke, mesa, marshall and ampeg and that's about it.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

That is very much the case around here, too. I have to drive all the way out to East Jesus to find the really high-end stuff. Do they have Markbass where you are? That has become a very popular brand out here in L.A. and the few that I've played sounded great. They would be well within your price range unless the import duties down there send the cost through the roof.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

man, that price range you can get anything you want, id go custom and tell them exactly what you want in a cab
RIP lowlife (fort wayne) the best crappy crusty punk band ever!
I'd go Avatar man...you can just about any speakers you want in them and they're a steal for the price (which is what you need since you'll be paying shipping and customs charges)
What size gigs are you playing, two 2x10's vetically stacked could be right down your road. It has a huge mid boost and hasnt the deepest bass sound, but you can play a B now problem. Now this is really better if you good cabs. Two markbass cabs or maybe some Tecamp ones.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul