Surely it's more work for the fretting hand than the picking hand, right? I'm left-handed but I play 'right-handed' because it was the easiest orientation when I started playing ukulele.
It was easiest because that's probably the only way you knew or had seen. If you had started playing left handed then it would be easier
Bump, I've wondered this many times. I'm also left-handed and play right-handed. But I'm also self-taught all the way.

I suppose I can do things like tapping better, and intricate chords are definitely easier.
But at the same time, I'm hopeless at sweep picking, and intricate strumming/string skipping patterns.

It also felt more natural when I was picking a guitar up at first
"There's a fine line between child abuse and discipline. Take my dad for example; when I screwed up, my dad would electrocute me. And look at me today: flawless. Electrocution builds character." - Maddox
It probably has to do with the two sides of the brain, one operates in another way than the other
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
Cause I'm right handed
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
So, would I be in an advantage at legato than right handed people at that sort of shredding? I'm also ambidextrous with my left hand being a bit more dominant which helps with my sweeping. I was wondering if I was better off switching orientation, seeming as though I fail at string skips because I lack the dexterity in my right hand.
Last edited by Comokanu at Jun 11, 2010,
I have asked myself this for years! i write with my left hand, but play right-handed. maybe we're weird.
“If it seems like you are playing around and not practicing, that's when you know you really love it.”
-Jack Johnson

Quote by lattea
i'm kinda gay

Quote by angusfan16
Well damn. You caught me. I'm horribly gay.

RIP Rev
Well you had to choose a side, right?
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

I'm left handed and when I was a kid I always picked up my dad's right handed guitars the wrong way, before I even knew guitarists had an orientation. I think it's just something your body likes/hates/gets used to.
I play guitar
Quote by bingeandletgo
Well you had to choose a side, right?

or left?
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Comokanu
Surely it's more work for the fretting hand than the picking hand, right? I'm left-handed but I play 'right-handed' because it was the easiest orientation when I started playing ukulele.

Same here. I'm left handed but I play right-handed guitar. My left hand is faster and i have better control over it, so it makes sense to have it on the fretboard.
PM me for newts
Because their guitars would be upside-down if they didn't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
its just whatever feels natural.
i have noticed though that a lot of left handed people do certain things right handed. notice how there are a lot of you that play guitar right handed, but there arent too many rightys that play lefty.
ive had friends that are left handed but throw footballs and shoot guns and such right handed. i have no idea what that is...
Quote by steven seagull
Because their guitars would be upside-down if they didn't.

What?
I write with my right hand but do stuff like aim a gun\playing guitar\play pool left handed...

Started off on a right handed guitar because I didn't know any better when I was starting off. Had to switch the strings and then got my leftie guitars in.

It's a bit of a pain when it comes to guitar because you can never pick up anyone else's and play.
Quote by Dempsey68
or left?

Touché, my friend...
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

I'm ambidextrous so, meh. However, I found that the picking hand was the more difficult one to get good with. An example of this: people can usually do really fast legato bits (like 16th note triplets in the middle of licks) fairly easily, yet it takes a lot longer to be capable of picking 16th note triplets at a similar speed.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
The actual reason for this, is that back in the day, the right hand actually did most of the work when playing guitar. If you watch old videos or listen to old songs using guitar, the left hand is often just holding a chord or doing something very basic, while the right hand is doing complex finger picking and such. Remember guitarists originally finger-picked everything. Picks did not exist. Somewhere along the line the right hand started doing the more simple stuff, such as the up and down strumming, while the left hand started doing the more complex stuff. This is how most modern guitar is played. Simple answer to your question is that guitarists did not evolve with their playing style. Technically most right handed guitarists should be playing left handed.
I've wondered this... I'm right handed.

Just yesterday I was sitting in my desk at school trying out a finger independence excercise to get better at piano and I realized my left hand was muuuch more independent than my right one. I could lift my left hand ring finger a nice height easily while with my right hand I barely could move it! Then I realized, that's becouse I've been playing guitar for years lol

So I wanna try playing left handed, since I'm a righty legato stuff should come easier than the picking part, right?

Quote by dont_cry789
The actual reason for this, is that back in the day, the right hand actually did most of the work when playing guitar. If you watch old videos or listen to old songs using guitar, the left hand is often just holding a chord or doing something very basic, while the right hand is doing complex finger picking and such. Remember guitarists originally finger-picked everything. Picks did not exist. Somewhere along the line the right hand started doing the more simple stuff, such as the up and down strumming, while the left hand started doing the more complex stuff. This is how most modern guitar is played. Simple answer to your question is that guitarists did not evolve with their playing style. Technically most right handed guitarists should be playing left handed.

Really? Makes sense, nice story!
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.
Quote by dont_cry789

Very good point. I hadn't thought much about this. However, your whole sense of timing, rhythm, groove, and accenting comes from right hand. As a righty, it seems like that would be really hard to get going with your left hand. Even though the LH aspect has grown a lot more complex in modern guitar, the LH hand is still following the "feel" defined by your RH.
Quote by dont_cry789

Thank god I play right handed!
hmm i had guess before dont_cry posted. oh well ill post it anyway because me and my friend were talking about this just yesterday

he asked why you play guitar with your left hand on the fretboard even if youre right handed. i said its probably because your right hand is stronger so it can be more independent picking and strumming, but the left hand isnt as strong so it has to rest itself on the neck to get enough power to press down on the strings.

and im guessing all the leftys who play right handed are doing that because it seems like leftys have to do a lot of stuff right handed throughout their life, so it gets a lot stronger than right handed peoples left hand
I guess it can be seen like handling a hockey stick. Me and my dad both write with our right hands, but he holds his hockey stick left handed and me, right handed.
Quote by Kumanji
The only thing that matters in music these days is money - genuinely talented artists are passed over entirely or corraled into making non-offensive, non-threatening average music that sells.
im right handed but myleft hand is a lot fast than my right, my left hand can play stuff faster than i can pick.
Quote by Comokanu

The, the picking hand has FAR more work to do. It's primarily responsible for rhythm, accents, and in general providing some umph to your playing.

Players who focus on the fretting hand invariably sound like crap.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Even Bigger D
The, the picking hand has FAR more work to do. It's primarily responsible for rhythm, accents, and in general providing some umph to your playing.

Players who focus on the fretting hand invariably sound like crap.

Well I do a lot of shredding and I think it helps to have the hand with the most dexterity on the fretboard. My right hand is still usable as a picking hand, but sometimes when I do fast licks over 3 or more strings my right hand can be slightly out of time, especially irregular picking rhythms.
Even with shredding, I feel like it takes a lot more to get your picking hand up to snuff. Maybe not if you're staying on one or two strings, or doing a lot of adjacent string stuff, but if there's a lot of string crossing and skipping it takes some real skill to be able to do that well at speed. Also, shredding only sounds good when the timing is really solid - again the right hand...
Quote by Comokanu
Well I do a lot of shredding and I think it helps to have the hand with the most dexterity on the fretboard. My right hand is still usable as a picking hand, but sometimes when I do fast licks over 3 or more strings my right hand can be slightly out of time, especially irregular picking rhythms.

This a big part of why many would be "shredders" sound horrible - they focus on fretting hand dexterity at the expensive of playing in time with good feel. Slow and right beats fast and wrong every time.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Because your picking hand is everything. It is your timing and rhythm. It may seem like your fretting hand is the more complex thing to do logically, especially when you first start playing, but it's not.
Although itseems this has mostly been put to rest, I would like to add that even with the dominant hand picking, it is generally the picking hand that must catch up to the fretting hand, not the other way around. If I was using my less dominant hand to pick I fear there would be a severe gap between the two.