this might be a really stupid question, but i just wrote a lot of a song in open tuning with a capo on the eighth fret (the first time ive ever done anything like that, so i wont really know what im talking about other than that.) and this kid im about to jam with wants to try to write along to it, but in standard tuning with no capo.. is this possible? well, i guess anythings possible.. but is it reasonable?
are there any examples of songs with this or bands that do this on a normal basis?
Aslong as what you play is in the same key then i cant really see a problem?
Quote by Abunai X
Oh my God. I've only laughed out loud on this site about 4 tiems since I signed up.

You have just created a 5th.

Quote by cukd7x-a2-
OH. MY . GOD

for that you get the tower of lulz, with which you can reach the lulgods
A good friend of mine told me everyone in his band has different tunings. I still don't see any good reason to do that..
I'M A COWBOY
yes. figure out the chords you played (or the key, or both) and then he can write accompanyment in any tuning he wants.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by loaded_
A good friend of mine told me everyone in his band has different tunings. I still don't see any good reason to do that..

there's no reason to do it, but there's no reason not to.

a good composer can make a piccolo and a bassoon sound good together - i don't see why a guitar in a different tuning would impact making good music in any way.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
It's probably fairly possible to jam with some one else while using that set up. I mean, as long as he plays in the same key as you it'll sound fine. The only problem I would see is that it would be hard for him to play chords and things like that because his strings aren't going to be tuned the same obviously. I would think it might get a little impractical to for instance have tons of songs like that if you're in a band together, but I don't really see a problem jamming on something.

Lots of bands use a small mix of open tunings and standard. I mean, listen to almost any band that has two guitarists and has one playing slide, like the Allman Brothers Band for instance. They normally have one guitarist in standard and one in a open one for slide playing. If you think about it, its no different than playing with another instrument. Throw a violin in the mix and it's not going to be in the same tuning, but if the player can play in the same key, it'll still sound fine. Your example is just a little more complicated since you threw in a capo too.
Last edited by Warrior47 at Jun 11, 2010,
i know that its possible obviously.. i just thought that since my key is so readily available with the luxury of being able to throw in open notes and still be in key that itll make him have to work twice as hard. im not sure if thats the case though.

EDIT: to the guy above me, thats pretty much what im worried about it seems like it would call for some unnecessary and borderline impossible fingering.
Last edited by GoodnightHero at Jun 11, 2010,
Depends how he's planning to accompany you.

I was in a band with someone who, while she was a good songwriter, could not play guitar for shit. Everything was simple powerchords, usually in drop D.

I stayed in standard most of the time, purely to use my Fender Jag, but it allowed me to use some weird chord shapes etc to accompany and bulk up the main sound.

The point is, is he's only going to play different voicings of the chords, he might need to retune to your tuning. If he's planning to solo/play lead, it's probably less necessary. Work out what key you're in, and vaguely what chords you're playing, and see what he does with it. He might find some interesting additions by not conforming to your guitar sound.
Quote by GoodnightHero
this might be a really stupid question, but i just wrote a lot of a song in open tuning with a capo on the eighth fret (the first time ive ever done anything like that, so i wont really know what im talking about other than that.) and this kid im about to jam with wants to try to write along to it, but in standard tuning with no capo.. is this possible? well, i guess anythings possible.. but is it reasonable?
are there any examples of songs with this or bands that do this on a normal basis?

Regardless of how you tune two guitars they're both going to have the exact same 12 notes on them.

Unless you go all batshit crazy with different temperament and microtonal intervals obviously.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
question by system of a down, one guitar is standard and one is drop c
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
Quote by vartanspartan
question by system of a down, one guitar is standard and one is drop c

Long as you can work round it theory wise you should be fine. If you and him don't already, learn the notes in your fretboard.
You might be interested in harmonising too. You can check it out in the lessons section.