Hey,

Fingers crossed this is the appropiate forum for this question.

Basically I got a really cool Tom Waits song book the other day. Its excellent! It comes with chords and lyrics (no tab).

The problem I have is that when it comes the solo part of songs it lists chords and not indivdual notes.

E.G the one Im looking at now says [am dm e7 am a7 dm].

I've listened to the song a lot but I cant figure out how to apply what the books says to what I'm hearing (I'm a beginner)

Well hopefully that was a totally dumb question. Maybe somebody could advise me on how to approach it.

Thanks!
It's the melody over which the solo is played. There's probably a section somewhere that shows you how to play the solo itself.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
play da changes, cat! play da changes!

but seriously. just improv solo over the changes like you would over a lead sheet from the book.

if you want to play the solo as it is on the record, get some staff paper and start transcribing. it'll get easier over time.

Quote by metacarpi
It's the melody over which the solo is played. There's probably a section somewhere that shows you how to play the solo itself.

from what he's saying it sounds like there's NO melody.
#DTWD
I probably should have read the OP a little more carefully, rather than just glancing over it and making an assumption based on the Thread Title.

My bad.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.