Hey guitar geniuses. I present you with an interesting and relatively new genre: Post-Black Metal. Before I go about begging for advice on what gear would suit me, I should probably give a brief description, as Post-Black Metal is pretty unique and I know some dude is just going to say "Get a high gain 5150!" and close the thread. Post-Black Metal as I know it is more or less the cold, depressive black metal combined with elements of post rock, shoegaze, indie rock, post-punk, alternative, and other styles. Examples of bands I know of are Heretoir, Lantlos, Alcest, Agalloch, Fen, Amesouers, Dopamine, Thranenkind, Liam, Altar of Plagues, and Wolves In The Throne Room...

What kind of gear should i be looking for? I know what traditional extreme metal bands use as far as amps and guitars, but I know very little about what POST black metal bands use. There seems to be a huge difference in guitar tone and ugh i'm just scratching my head... Please help me out with potential gear? Thanks.
Quote by ProV
Hey guitar geniuses. I present you with an interesting and relatively new genre: Post-Black Metal. Before I go about begging for advice on what gear would suit me, I should probably give a brief description, as Post-Black Metal is pretty unique and I know some dude is just going to say "Get a high gain 5150!" and close the thread. Post-Black Metal as I know it is more or less the cold, depressive black metal combined with elements of post rock, shoegaze, indie rock, post-punk, alternative, and other styles. Examples of bands I know of are Heretoir, Lantlos, Alcest, Agalloch, Fen, Amesouers, Dopamine, Thranenkind, Liam, Altar of Plagues, and Wolves In The Throne Room...

What kind of gear should i be looking for? I know what traditional extreme metal bands use as far as amps and guitars, but I know very little about what POST black metal bands use. There seems to be a huge difference in guitar tone and ugh i'm just scratching my head... Please help me out with potential gear? Thanks.

Well listening to the bolded band's first song on youtube the tone is a dark, medium gain amp with the treble pretty high... pretty standard for black metal, maybe a little less gain than normal
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Just sounds like post-rock with double kick and screams. I would go for a tele and a Vox and put a load of reverb in the mix. Prob get few pedals like a Cathedral Reverb and a chorus to make it spacy and maybe a tube screamer to drive the amp a but more to make it super muddy.
You didn't invent the term and most of the bands described as such are pretty boring.

Anyways, hipster black metal bands either use 'normal black metal' gear (either high gain SS or high gain tube amps) or sometimes lower gain tube amps. Then add an effects chain suitable for shoegazer or post rock. Then play big long riffs that go nowhere.

Ultimately when there's 100 different bands with all different tones in a genre you can use whatever gear that makes the sounds you need.

Under what circumstances are you playing? Are you a one man BM band? Do you play live? What's your budget?

Because you gave none of these I'm going to say get a Peavey Bandit and whatever pedals you'd use to play shoegaze. Then drone bittersweetly with no real direction.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
No I did not invent the term post-black metal, obviously. And I wouldn't consider them boring... Relativity my friend.
Anyway, you're right i didn't include all the necessary info, So i'll try to clear it all up. I am attempting to write, record, and produce my own music which should hopefully sound much like post-black metal with my own take on it of course. My budget is decent and I have a good 2000$ to spend on gear. The price doesn't really concern me, but considering I don't plan on playing live, i want my recording to be as pure and high quality as possible, which means a good guitar tone. So what kind of amp/cabinets might you suggest?
I currently have a B.C Rich Stealth (Chuck Schuldiner Tribute) and a Madison Divinity III 120W Head. No cab at the moment. This old equipment seems more suited towards "brutal" death metal and such. Not so much shoegaze...
Quote by STABxYOU
You didn't invent the term and most of the bands described as such are pretty boring.

Anyways, hipster black metal bands either use 'normal black metal' gear (either high gain SS or high gain tube amps) or sometimes lower gain tube amps. Then add an effects chain suitable for shoegazer or post rock. Then play big long riffs that go nowhere.

Ultimately when there's 100 different bands with all different tones in a genre you can use whatever gear that makes the sounds you need.

Under what circumstances are you playing? Are you a one man BM band? Do you play live? What's your budget?

Because you gave none of these I'm going to say get a Peavey Bandit and whatever pedals you'd use to play shoegaze. Then drone bittersweetly with no real direction.

Agalloch, WITTR, Alcest are boring?
^While I completely disagree with Stabs opinion in that regard as well (I find traditional Black Metal much more uninteresting than most metal), lets not turn this into an argument about taste ins genres.

I'm pretty sure Agalloch use Laneys and Marshalls, not sure exactly which models though. If you go youtube some of Agalloch's live videos you could probably get a better look at their amps. They also have some photos of their shows on their site you could look at, I think there is a photo of John fiddling with his pedal board. No idea what effects they use, I think they use chorus on some of their cleans.
I would read through here for ideas about where to head pedal-wise:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1018914

Out of the few clips I listened to, sounds like a fairly high gain head with a lot of reverb and some delay. I would look at decent noise gates, fancy reverbs and delays. I can't comment on your amp, nor do I have any real suggestions in that regard. All I can say is, make sure you get the right cab with the right speakers. (again not sure on suggestions here)
Quote by BasicEvoke
Agalloch, WITTR, Alcest are boring?

Alcest are good. WITTR have good riffs, I just don't like any of the songs they use them in.

Quote by ProV
No I did not invent the term post-black metal, obviously. And I wouldn't consider them boring... Relativity my friend.
Anyway, you're right i didn't include all the necessary info, So i'll try to clear it all up. I am attempting to write, record, and produce my own music which should hopefully sound much like post-black metal with my own take on it of course. My budget is decent and I have a good 2000$ to spend on gear. The price doesn't really concern me, but considering I don't plan on playing live, i want my recording to be as pure and high quality as possible, which means a good guitar tone. So what kind of amp/cabinets might you suggest?
I currently have a B.C Rich Stealth (Chuck Schuldiner Tribute) and a Madison Divinity III 120W Head. No cab at the moment. This old equipment seems more suited towards "brutal" death metal and such. Not so much shoegaze...

The guitar should be able to do BM of any style no problem.

Honestly, I might suggest either a PODX3 or an Axe FX setup.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Jun 11, 2010,
^+1

If you're just looking to record, an Axe-FX will likely be your best bet.

If you want to go the tube amp route instead, I'd probably suggest going for an Isolattion cab instead of a traditional one. Randall and Jet City both make iso cabs that can be had for a reasonable price (about $500) and I think they both have built in mic stands in them.
Hmm the isolation cabinet sounds interesting, as I currently have a tube amp head which I would rather not put to waste. An iso cabinet is basically a small cabinet with like one speaker that's put in a sound-proofed box? With a mic set up for maximum recording clarity? That's just my basic understanding... I bet somebody can enlighten me on its "true" powers.
Hmm what about a 212 cabinet? As I understand it, they are good for recording, loud enough for smaller gigs/practice/screwing around, and easily mic'ed up. Perhaps I could get one of those? Iso cabinets sound great for recording but don't seem to do anything else. If I'm going to throw 500+ usd at a good cabinet i might as well get one that's at least somewhat flexible? Even though I don't plan on gigging, I still would probably enjoy the satisfaction of actually playing... lol
When I play black metal, I usually find the sweet spot for a death metal tone, and then roll ack the volume/tone a bit. I don't know why I prefer this to simply turning the gain down on the amp, lets through more pick attack maybe?

Just kinda throwing that out there...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Yeah I know where you're coming from with that... Seems like every single band, even the mainstream "alternative" bands like Breaking Benjamin and Three Days Grace are using the classic downtuned death metalesque sound. I want to stand out with a more experimental, post-rock tone except applied to something agressive and dark. My Madison Divinity 120W tube head is totally brutal but yeah..