Hey guys.

I own a Schecter Solo 6 Classic, and i'm looking to change out the SH-11 pickup in the BRIDGE. I play anything from Rock to Metal Eg. Pearl Jam - Mastodon - Lamb Of God.

For gain i like to have an organic, edgy distortion that isn't loaded with bottom end - but definitely not thin sounding at all.

For cleans i use the neck pickup 90% of the time and like a deep bassy tone but with enough high end clarity that it doesn't become muddy.

The guitar has a mahogany body and an ebony fretboard.

I was liking the look of Seymour Duncan JB's, SH-6 distortion but i have heard that they don't work well with ebony fretboards.

any suggestions?
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
It gets said quite a lot on here but a Custom 5/Pearly Gates combo is the best starting point for nearly all guitars and nearly all styles. So, look into the Custom 5 for starters. It's a touch brighter than your Custom Custom with a little less low-mid presence, but it still has enough focused bass presence to stop it sounding thin. Basically it's the usual case of swapping the softer alnico II magnet for the slightly more contemporary-sounding alnico V.

If you're handy with a soldering iron and you don't mind taking a little bit of a risk, you could make a Custom 8 (unsurprisingly, a Custom Custom or Custom 5 with the II or V magnet swapped out for an alnico VIII magnet). Many people on the SD forum are raving about them.

An SD Alternative 8 would be another good choice, it's pretty much a Custom Custom with tighter bass and more power; alternatively you could view it as a more natural type of ceramic pickup, in terms of tone and response.

Those would be my picks anyhoo. Personally I'd try to make the Custom Custom into a Custom 8 and give that a go, if that didn't work out or if I ballsed it up I'd go for the Custom 5.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
on the SD website all of the pickups mentioned except for the pearly gates were reccomended for rosewood... :\

Would a JB sound decent with ebony anyway?
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Don't go by what the SD site says. They claim the Custom 5 has a compressed tone and the Custom is like an overwound PAF... yeah, right. They rate the Pearly Gates as being best suited for bright-toned guitars, yet it was modelled after some pickups for a Les Paul. The SD and DiMarzio sites are terrible in terms of how they represent each of their pickups.

With your guitar, the fretboard doesn't matter so much. With a set neck guitar the body wood makes up much more of the tone, then the neck wood with the fretboard wood in third. So don't worry about the ebony part so much, that will still have quite an effect on the response of your strings but not so much of any effect on the overall tone. Focus on the mahogany as far as tone goes.

To that end, I would forget the JB model. JBs have a massive upper-mid spike and pretty muddy bass, they can be great in balanced guitars but basswood, limba and mahogany can pretty much forget it, the bass just gets far too muddy unless you're rocking something like a Fender Twin Reverb (which you obviously aren't). The Distortion is just a JB with the alnico magnet swapped out for a ceramic magnet, I do consider it to be slightly more suitable for dark-toned guitars than the JB but not much - I would still always recommened any of the Custom series over it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I hope it's not too old of a thread but I just wanted to chime in. My brother owns a schecter solo-6 limited gblk which has an ebony fretboard, mahogony body and neck, and a JB in the bridge position and I think it sounds great. It sounds better than the JB in my own c-1 classic in my opinion. It's less shrill/harsh than the one in my classic, very smooth and not muddy at all. I'm doing my best to find my own solo-6 gblk but the damn things are hard to find since they were a limited run.

Cheers.