Hello, I'm planning on learning like 5 or 6 Megadeth songs this month, specifically the Rust in Peace and Countdown albums. I hate learning solos note for note in Tabs or Guitar Pro. I like to improvise my own stuff. I'm a competent guitarist, but Marty's playing is strange and unique. I'm well versed in the Pentatonics (arent we all? ) and all the modes, but what the heck is Marty playing? I know they are Eastern scales, but does anyone know specifically which ones he is playing? A link would be most helpful, but just naming them would suffice. (Specifically for Symphony of Destruction.)

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php i use this site to navigate alot of scales, but I cant find any "eastern" stuff.

Thanks
From i've heard he doesn't really stick to scales he more follows the chords and plays what he think fits the chord at the time. He plays mostly with chromatics and chord tones. Although from my knowledge of eastern scales (which is limited) i've found that most of these so called 'eastern scales' are no more than major scales with steps missing.

For example the Hirajoshi scale in C contains these notes from Cminor rather than major this time: C D D# G and G#

the following eastern scales are in C

Chinese- C D E G A
Japanese- C C# F G G#
Last edited by TheRobbo7108 at Jun 11, 2010,
I have heard that a lot of Asain scales just remove other scales notes like that. Worst case scenario i will just BS it and play "what sounds right." But im a very structured player and prefer to be able to work with scales.

Thanks
Quote by toothless tim
I have heard that a lot of Asain scales just remove other scales notes like that. Worst case scenario i will just BS it and play "what sounds right." But im a very structured player and prefer to be able to work with scales.

if you were a very structured player, you probably wouldn't be working with scales - you'd be following the chords (which is, incidentally, what marty is known for). he doesn't use scales, really - he follows the chords and occasionally adds a certain note over a certain chord that produces an exotic sound (for lack of a better term).

if you haven't checked out friedman's melodic control video, i advise you to do so.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Last edited by AeolianWolf at Jun 11, 2010,
Symphony's solo (which is awesome) is in E minor. It uses the occasional C# and Bb.
i don't know why i feel so dry