I've been wanting to buy a harp guitar for many years, and just haven't had the funds for what I want and recently I've been lookin back at one of my first guitars ever, an old Squier Strat that I already upgrade dby rewiring and refinishing, I decided I was going to put another neck on it, so far I got a lot done for only a day's work (And night, haven't slept yet..6:12AM) Anyway I thought I'd sare with how I have things coming, and lookin for suggestions on amplification since it's modded from an electric. Here's a picture of it, all done aside from the nut on the next neck needing actually seated. (Its just sitting there right now with string tension)

So far I'm really happy with it even though I scuffed up a lot, but I'm more concerned about just having a harp guitar to play with.

So biggest thing would be thoughts on amplification.

Last edited by Roy Annashi at Jun 11, 2010,
Have you tried to play it? It doesn't look like there's much room to move your hand around to play the added neck...
I am playing it now, addicted to it, I removed the frets for a reason off the spare neck I had, Also the strings are about 1 inch above the fretboard, it's just there for show. They are just sub basses, they aren't meant to be fretted. This is for playing stuff such as Michael Hedges - Chava's Song, which is what I'm working on now.
Quote by Roy Annashi
I am playing it now, addicted to it, I removed the frets for a reason off the spare neck I had, Also the strings are about 1 inch above the fretboard, it's just there for show. They are just sub basses, they aren't meant to be fretted. This is for playing stuff such as Michael Hedges - Chava's Song, which is what I'm working on now.

so you mean you arent going to be fretting the new neck at all?

thats pretty cool man although if i was going to do this i would have to have it far enough apart to actually play the top neck, id probly leave 1 fretless.

i actually might do this sometime lol
Not a big bass player, just like being able to have some set sub basses, or yeah I could have kept the strings closer to the frets and had a fretless. I'm stuck now trying to think of a way to amplify it, I don't really want to use coil pickups. I may experiment with some acoustic pickups.
I tell you what would be interesting on this...

Variax electronics. Would be expensive though, as you'd need two variax bridges.
You'd be able to have a bit of control over the sound you had, you'd potentially be able to have two entirely different sounds for each neck.

Have you considered Roland Synth pickups?

Nah man I'm just ****in' with ya.

Really I absolutely love harp guitars but the resonant chamber for the sub bass strings is goddamn massive so it's nice to see how well an electric can trim that down. hope this turns out well for you mate, and if it does some vids of it being played would be awesome.
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

When the world slips you a Jerffrey...

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
Last edited by velocigecko at Jun 11, 2010,
that headstock idea is really cool honestly. I like it.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Thanks everyone, and Piezo acoustic sound is definitely what I'm looking for.

Lol at above picture, I cut the head stock to short by about 1/2in and I had to mount it somehow, but in the end I actually like having that one up there.

Acoustic tone is definitely what I'm looking for, I'm not a big electric guitar player, which is why if I messed my old squier up I wouldn't care to much. One day I'll try doing a similair project on an old acoustic.

When I get the money two shadow pickups are looking good to me.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Guitar,_electric/Graph_Tech_Ghost_Pickup_System_for_Guitar/Ghost_Prewired_Saddle_Pickup_Set.html

Is that what you wre talking about Ice?
looking at those pics again, does the corner of your arm dig into the bass bridge?
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
Funny you mention that because I noticed it does dig into my arm, not too much I can do about except raise my elbow up, then I'm good, if you have any ideas let me know, bridge is close as it can get to the other.
Last edited by Roy Annashi at Jun 11, 2010,
ould put a peice of acryllic over it like on one of those wierd electric sitar things.

[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
Hmm nice idea, any idea where to find those, or do I need to suck it up and make one myself Rofl.

Update by the way, I used old pickups..I just don't have the money for nice ones right now, even though the ghost ones were tempting.

Only two things are it's a little quiet on picking up the 6th string, so I need to move the pickups over slightly, but other than that it works nicely.

And the other being I over routed a little bit, so I need to make a new pick guard to cover it someday.

Special thanks to Ice4600 for the wiring schematic.

very very cool. wish i wouldve seen this before you put the pickups in, id actually suggest the bridge before the actual guitar bridge. maybe, also, check into a acoustic bridge?
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Good job, that was some quick work, lol. if you want to make a new pickguard, you can get blanks large enough to fit the bass pickups on there too, you just need to measure. I've seen blanks come in 1' x 2' so I would think that would give you room to work with a cool design or something.
Hey, whaats the neck joint look like on the added neck?
ppictures from back?
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
You'd probably have to make your own bridge cover thingy. Wait what about bass bridge covers? they're nice and roundy so maybe look into those.
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
You don't want to see the back, trust me. Rofl. However the neck joint looks like two 2in screws drilled through the back of the guitar, and I should add another, I beat the hell out of this guitar in the back, but I'll grab a picture..The horribleness isn't from this project was from another finishing job. I probably should have sunk the neck deeper down into the body as you'll be able to tell.

Biggest things I need to do are get a back plate for the second bridge, get a metal plate to place in between the screws and wood at new the neck joint, and possibly sink the neck deeper, but I may see how it does as is, and just sink another screw through for added support, I like the neck length as is.

And it being so ugly in the back can be remedied with a think lacquer finish, but that'll be awhile.

I may also be able to mount a support behind the neck, mount that to the guitar, and than run a screw threw it to the exposed neck where it already has mounting holes, we'll see.

I almost did order a new pick guard blank, and then I just chopped up my old bass guitar I never play for the pickups, and the pick guard.

I now have a bass body laying around that I can do something with as well.

Last edited by Roy Annashi at Jun 12, 2010,