Page 1 of 2
So my portfolio to animation school has been accepted, and I have one more hurdle to overcome:

I need to design a game and create it's main character.

The topic is: Soft and hard.

That's all I got, soft and hard. Anything related to this will be considered acceptable, and although I already have a few pretty good ideas of how to do this, I was interested in what the Pit could come up with.

Remember, this is for a game, and can be any style, 2D or 3D.

go!

UPDATE:

Got accepted.

Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jul 14, 2010,
ITT: Inevitability
Quote by Riffofthebeast
hitler could have conquered the entire world if he just sent an assasin to every enemy country and have their leader assasinated
A ninja squirrel.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Did you honestly not see that coming?
Quote by Riffofthebeast
hitler could have conquered the entire world if he just sent an assasin to every enemy country and have their leader assasinated
Soft and hard personality wise? Like a rebel warrior who is really sensitive on the inside but never lets his tough facade down for anyone.?

Or like physically wise? Like a blob that can turn into solid objects?
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
Quote by CoreysMonster
goddammit guys

NO PENIS

My teacher just walked by and saw "NO PENIS" on my screen.

And you did say anything Corey. Don't act like you weren't expecting it.
Quote by Msword7
Soft and hard personality wise? Like a rebel warrior who is really sensitive on the inside but never lets his tough facade down for anyone.?

Or like physically wise? Like a blob that can turn into solid objects?

as far as I know, both are legit, because it isn't specified in the letter.

I didn't even think of your first scenario, that's a really interesting idea.
A heart-wrenchingly emotional story about the struggles of a marshmallow in a world populated by oak furniture.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Soft and hard ey? ... How bout an armored jellyfish that came from the future to kill sarah Connor?
Quote by God
I'm Omnipotent, which is to say that my dick eats both meat and plants

Ronnie and Steele, Rockstars today aint half as real.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio & Peter Steele
Maybe like a dual character. Like theres the one you are controlling and another character thats following you. And you can switch them in order to use their different abilities. 1 could be hard (maybe hes like made out of rocks or something) and 1 could be soft (maybe hes a human or some other kind of humanoid or something). So to get through the levels you have to use the 2 ideas together, soft and hard.
Me before and after I enter tinychat?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Corey, aren't you an electrical engineering major?

If I think of something I'll let you know.
Quote by jfreyvogel
Maybe like a dual character. Like theres the one you are controlling and another character thats following you. And you can switch them in order to use their different abilities. 1 could be hard (maybe hes like made out of rocks or something) and 1 could be soft (maybe hes a human or some other kind of humanoid or something). So to get through the levels you have to use the 2 ideas together, soft and hard.

that was basically my idea as well, using the duality of soft/hard to get through the levels, kindof like Ikaruga, where you switch from light to dark and back to get through the levels.

Quote by Firenze
Corey, aren't you an electrical engineering major?

If I think of something I'll let you know.

yup, I'm switching majors because EE sucks

Quote by Kensai
Me before and after I enter tinychat?

Remember your promise of cam today
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jun 11, 2010,
Congratulations on your achievement. If I was to create a character, it would a Solzhenitsyn-type man who is being crushed and having his nation's religion, people, and traditions being destroyed by a communist/leftist regime. The man would either be tasked with overthrowing the evil regime, or with saving his family, himself, and as many other people as possible from it.
First, congratulations!

OT: You could play against the stereotypes, and create a cute round character with the softest fur and make it a horribly treacherous and vicious being.

I'm thinking about a white kitten with wide green eyes, that would actually eat babies.

Although you may want to soften the baby eating part.
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
I think it would be pretty awesome if you were just one character with the ability to change his/her density helping you own some noobs and do obstacles and what not?

HELLO!

Quote by jfreyvogel
I like this idea, but I was thinking the soft character could be able to bend to fit through tiny gaps or just change shape generally whereas the hard one would be able to withstand attacks etc.

Or maybe have the players in a world where some things that look soft are actually hard (so you run into them expecting them to move out the way but smash into them and lose health) and some things that look soft are actually hard (so you try and jump onto them but they can't hold your weight and you plunge to your death).
I was thinking like a puzzle game of some sort where the character can be soft or hard. They could be a normal person, jumping, fighting etc but then be able to turn kinda liquid to escape people and to get through traps or something (think kinda like how an octopus can fit through tiny gaps and squeeze itself to fit down tubes and things lol)
On the theme of soft and hard, I'd suggest Adrian Chiles.
He's fat, and so soft, and really annoying, so you want to hit him hard.
Quote by JackalUK
Base it on the ultimate hard/soft creation, the T-1000

Make it the T-X, because frankly it was much sexier. And had boobs.
Soft and hard? Sounds like shell fish, soft middle with hard shell. Or a turtle...

Or soft and hard anything... soft background, hard/sharp foreground, since that's pretty much standard you could do anything at all...

Wait... new idea. The walking chicken drumstick. Soft tender chicken with a hard bone through the middle yeeeaaaahhh...

EDIT: The erection game... perfect!
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Last edited by EnyoAdonai at Jun 11, 2010,
Design a John McClane type main character who during the process of the game is required to make numerous emotionally taxing decisions that expose his troubled past.
::::::Cherry Epiphone Les Paul Standard Custom Shop With Bigsby:::::
::::::Vox AC15VR::::::
Quote by RU Experienced?
The answer is a sponge. Soft when wet, hard when dry.

I expect royalty checks.

Spongebob wants to have a word with you.
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
Quote by RU Experienced?
The answer is a sponge. Soft when wet, hard when dry.

I expect royalty checks.

Yeah or a cake

Soft when you buy it, but wait about a month and you've got a one-way ticket to Hardsville.

Or Hardvard...

TS, what about basing it on a spongecake that has to fight its way through a segregated education system where confections are treated as second-class citizens, to follow his destiny and get accepted into Hardvard University. And by the end he would be hard in a world-weary sense, but also in a 4-year-old-spongecake sense.
Last edited by Declan87 at Jun 11, 2010,
Good work CM. You better make something like Crater Face or something similar.
This is why we can't have nice things!
Quote by Benadeto
Good work CM. You better make something like Crater Face or something similar.

crater face?
Steel Goo

You are blob of goo that's made out of steel. It's a scrolling platform game like mario. You can jump, and if you land on an enemy they get crushed. The enemies are miners/scientists who want to know waht the **** you are, and mine the shit out of you.
Quote by captaincrunk
Tar Boy! Take inspiration from Tar Boy corey. You know what I'm talking about

actually, I take ALOT of animation inspiration from Tar Box.

Not from the art style, but from the technical way it was made, which is both efficient and effective, and (I think this is something EVERYONE can agree on) epic.
A character like Zapp Brannigan - hard in the pants, but more than a little soft in the head.
Quote by CoreysMonster
actually, I take ALOT of animation inspiration from Tar Box.

Not from the art style, but from the technical way it was made, which is both efficient and effective, and (I think this is something EVERYONE can agree on) epic.

Well, he certainly looks very flowy. It might be a good way to communicate the soft.
mirrors edge is sort of soft but hard. avoiding some arseholes shooting at you with soft flowing movements sort of thing. Maybe something like that.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Page 1 of 2