Hey guys!

Was just wondering what would make a good practice amp for me...

right now i got a Fender Super Reverb, which is a great amp. But I find to really get it to sound nice, you have to crank it up to at least 5 or 6 (which is enough to tear down the walls). On top of that I'm heading to University next year, and this amp is too big. I'll be living in residence, and i do NOT want to leave my Stratocaster here lol I love that guitar too much.

I was just wondering what amps sound good at low volumes, but can crank up when im jamming or playing with a band? I'd prefer a tube amp..

i mostly play blues and rock and Hendrix type stuff. i love having a clean sound, but i also like to get it real dirty, kinda like the white stripes. I also have a bunch of pedals that ill probably wanna put in front of it..

I was looking at the Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic or Special. If I sell my Super i should be able to afford one. any thoughts?

thanks!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by tatorbits at Jun 11, 2010,
for only lower volume use you would be best looking into SS/Hybrid/Modelling amps along the lines of Roland Cube, Vox VT and Peavey Vypyr series of amps. unfortunatly tube amps need to be cranked to get the best out of them.

whats your budget and playing style and im sure many will be along to aid you.
Proud owner of Paul Allander PRS styled - Shamray CS-1985
CS-1985 Pics
I have a Roland Cube and I like it for what it is. I would say avoid Line 6 as I think they sound shrill and too artificial. I would not recommend that you get rid of your Fender if you can find a way around that. They can be loud to get a certain tone but they are nice amps, in my opinion.
I would keep the Fender for later on incase you decide to get involved in a band. It won't devalue anymore now that it already has and just buy a small SS amp for University. For example The DG15R from Traynor ($150 CDN new) has 2 channels, the OD CH has Gain & Vol and there's an overall Master Vol too so you can get ridiculous distortion if you need it. It has reverb and a headphone jack for silent practise. It's about 20 lbs so very easy to lug around and should you need to jam with someone there it's 15Watts.
I don't think for personal practise there's any need to get overly complicated with an amp.
Moving on.....
Heres my take on the college thing:

I don't understand why people decide to go with cheap SS or modelling amps while away at school. Assuming you are going to be there for a full 4 years, I would think you would want to have something solid that you can jam/gig with. I understand people are worried about volume violations, but honestly, any master volume amp will do fine. Yes it won't sound ideal at bedroom levels but IMO it's way worth it when you are on stage with a solid rig behind you.
marshall class 5 or somthing similar.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
The Lonestar sounds like a fine solution if you can afford one. Especially with the switchable power amp section. 10W single ended 6L6 amp for practice sounds like a sweet idea. And when needed, plaster shatterring volume from either 50W or 100W. All the Lonestars do that don't they?

Seriously guys, he asks about a Lonestar and you recommend Cubes and Vypers and smeg? If somebody asks you about buying a Ferrari do you recomend a Skoda?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by denied
Heres my take on the college thing:

I don't understand why people decide to go with cheap SS or modelling amps while away at school. Assuming you are going to be there for a full 4 years, I would think you would want to have something solid that you can jam/gig with. I understand people are worried about volume violations, but honestly, any master volume amp will do fine. Yes it won't sound ideal at bedroom levels but IMO it's way worth it when you are on stage with a solid rig behind you.

I think when you're practising too many people focus on their sound (thru the amp)and not on advancing their playing. For this you don't need a great amp just a basic one that fills your needs. If you need to sound like your're in a stadium or studio in order to practise you're missing the point of the exercise. You personal sound is made up of your style, your instrument and of course your amp but first two elements are intimate to a guitar player the last is not as much.
Moving on.....
When I was at Uni I jammed my arse off. hmmmmm, maybe that didn't come out right.
You may never be around so many enthusiastic musos again in your life. You need to be able to jam, ie. you need to be able to get over the gorilla drummer.
A nice amp like a Mesa Lonestar would make the whole thing a lot sweeter - as long as you don't spill beer down the back and electrocute yourself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification