ok I have asked before about building speed, playing solos and such..
and the amount of information on the web, while excellent, is overwhelming..
where to start, what to practice, what to practice, how much...

so i started taking lessons..
been going for a month now and feel im actually learning now..

I can play the a natural minor scale from open to 12th fret, along with 8 arpeggios included with it.

what I am looking for now from you guys are runs linking them together...and some licks to play within the scale itself..
anything as long as its a natural minor.

I have been playing 20 years and my speed is terrible.. guess that means i need to build accuracy i know..

I play metal so i would like to be able to shred somewhat in time. but would be happy for now just doing some fast runs and cool licks..that would be such a huge breakthrough!!
Repeat sequences through octaves. eg. 10-12-14 on E and A, 12-14-16 D and G and 13-15-17 on B and 14-15-17 on high e. And stuff like that.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Quote by Cisc

I can play the a natural minor scale from open to 12th fret, along with 8 arpeggios included with it.

what I am looking for now from you guys are runs linking them together...and some licks to play within the scale itself..
anything as long as its a natural minor.

Learn the notes of the fretboard and the notes of the scale. Then you can move around anywhere because you will know where all the notes are and which ones fit.

I have been playing 20 years and my speed is terrible.. guess that means i need to build accuracy i know..

I play metal so i would like to be able to shred somewhat in time. but would be happy for now just doing some fast runs and cool licks..that would be such a huge breakthrough!!

I seriously doubt that you have been playing 20 years. If you were you would have gained quite a bit of playing ability by now and speed as well. Do you know anything other than the natural minor scale?
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Last edited by Junior#1 at Jun 11, 2010,
Quote by Junior#1
I seriously doubt that you have been playing 20 years. If you were you would have gained quite a bit of playing ability by now and speed as well. Do you know anything other than the natural minor scale?

Not really. I've been playing for almost 8 years now and I am still mediocre at best. I can't really shred.. The best I do is Lamb of God and I usually skip any solos and just play the rhythm parts. The reason for this? I don't practice like I should. I play my guitar everyday, but it's usually just going through the 10 or 12 songs I know for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Every now and then I'll hear a song or riff and I'll set down and learn it and add it to my routine but I've spent very little time learning scales, theory, advanced techniques like sweep picking and tapping..

If he has followed the same basic path that I have then it's not very surprising that he isn't very good after 20 years.
i started when i was 17 and im 38 now, i never sat and woodshed' it like i should have, and I have always been content playing rythm until now..
never tried to play leads or practiced any set skills, i just picked it up and messed around with it for 20 years. I can play it, I just dont know what it is im playing, and as far as leads/solo goes, no, i only know the a natural minor, i figure I will stick with it until I know it inside and out, before moving to another key or scale..

if you check our website, im playing rythm on all those tracks,so its not that i suck..

..not the solos though. I would love to be able to
Last edited by Cisc at Jun 11, 2010,
ok then...let me ask this..

Would it be best to just take a metronome to the scales i know already, and try to get the up to a faster speed then I can currently play?
or keep learning new material and drill on them?
Quote by Cisc
ok then...let me ask this..

Would it be best to just take a metronome to the scales i know already, and try to get the up to a faster speed then I can currently play?
or keep learning new material and drill on them?

Playing a scale to a metronome is no good. It will make you faster at the scale, but nothing else. Use difficult riffs or licks with strange fingerings instead.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.