So, fair GG&A, I'm back... yet again.

So I recently went out on an amp-search, after coming here for advice I actually went out, tested A LOT of models, and had some fun. I tested out a Blackstar Series One 45, a Blackstar Series One 100, a Peavey Vypyr 30W, some sort of Orange-amp, a Laboga Alligator 30 A-Class or something, Blackstar HT-5 Studio and last but not least, the Peavey 6505.

Where am I going with this? Well, I fell in love with the Peavey 6505, and desperately said to myself; "Håkon, we're getting this one, nothing can compare" because, well, of the amps I tested, nothing sounded as good to me as the Peavey 6505, the distortion was just awesome, the clean was... well, it wasnt SUPERB, but it was great, I enjoyed the sound! The only problem I have is... well, where the **** is my volume-control? I could not seem to find it. I even googled some pictures when I got home to see if I'd just overlooked it, but no, its not there. Could anyone tell me why?

And if there isnt any way to regulate the volume properly without dropping down EQ's/Distortion, could you give me some tips to how?

Also, what is your opinion of the 6505? Is it good? How is the durability? Is it worth it compared to the quality when compared to other amps?

- Kergash
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

YouTube: more morons than Yahoo Answers and more hate than 4chan. It's the Internet's premier breeding ground of complete idiocy.
I myself undertook a fairly thorough amp search recently - I settled on the Blackstar Series 1 100H - ISF and DPR are invaluable in a band situation.

Not knocking the 6505 but I found that to get a decent tone you need to really crank the bass and it just sounds muddy playing along with my bassist.

If I had the budget I'd probably have gone for a mesa dual rec to be brutally honest, but I'm still over the moon with the sound my blackstar gets.
Quote by Vindication
sorry, but were you born a dumbass or did your mom n' dad take turns bashing your head with cinderblocks?

Quote by Gemini
You know that if you image search "pitbulls humping", all that comes up is a myspace a guy made for their dog?

I didn't actually..
none of the other amps you tried compare to the 6505 cuz they aren't meant to.

brunetti's, engls, the bigger laboga's, soldano's, caa, bogner. try those. but the 6505 for the money is a great option.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by phoenix_crush
I believe the volume is labeled "post gain"

Ah, I see. Silly me.
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

YouTube: more morons than Yahoo Answers and more hate than 4chan. It's the Internet's premier breeding ground of complete idiocy.
Quote by AcousticMirror
none of the other amps you tried compare to the 6505 cuz they aren't meant to.

brunetti's, engls, the bigger laboga's, soldano's, caa, bogner. try those. but the 6505 for the money is a great option.

Yeah. ^^^That stuff. + Mesa, Marshall, Genz Benz, Bugera.
MoOsEkNuCkLe......All my friends yell OI!

Gear:
Jackson Dk2m
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960a
Kramer Focus 1000
Dunlop Crybaby
Hardwire Tuner
Boss NS-2

Red Bear 120 $50/$600
just curious on what 6505 version you tried? 6505 head, 6505+ head, 6505 2x12 combo, 6505+ 1x12 combo?

the 6505 quality-wise is very good although the 6505+ 1x12 being made in china and being fairly new may not be up to par in comparison to the american made versions. but in general the quality is still probably on par with the quality of peavey's other chinese made amps such as the valve king, which as far as i know is quite good. if you were to go with the 6505+ 112 (which is what i assume you're talking about) then odds are you'll be pickin' up a good quality amp.
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Jun 11, 2010,
Nice too see someone that actually went out and tried loads of amps

In my opinion, they 6505 sounds brilliant for heavy music, but the cleans suck, if you wont be using cleans much though, it dosn't matter, if you like that amp compared to the others that you tried you should probably go for it, you seem pretty happy with it, and yes, the volume is labeled as 'post gain'.

You could also look at Bugeras, they make a copy of that amp which is cheaper and supposedly has a better clean channel.

Most of the other amps that people have mentioned cost a lot more money than the Peavey though, so bare that in mind (budget?)... Also Marshalls wont sound as 'br00tal' as the 6505.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
just curious on what 6505 version you tried? 6505 head, 6505+ head, 6505 2x12 combo, 6505+ 1x12 combo?

the 6505 quality-wise is very good although the 6505+ 1x12 being made in china and being fairly new may not be up to par in comparison to the american made versions. but in general the quality is still probably on par with the quality of peavey's other chinese made amps such as the valve king, which as far as i know is quite good. if you were to go with the 6505+ 112 (which is what i assume you're talking about) then odds are you'll be pickin' up a good quality amp.

'twas a 6505 Head, with a Blackstar 4x12" Cabinet, if I'm not mistaken. Quite sure it was that, atleast.

Quote by FuzzLove
Nice too see someone that actually went out and tried loads of amps

In my opinion, they 6505 sounds brilliant for heavy music, but the cleans suck, if you wont be using cleans much though, it dosn't matter, if you like that amp compared to the others that you tried you should probably go for it, you seem pretty happy with it, and yes, the volume is labeled as 'post gain'.

You could also look at Bugeras, they make a copy of that amp which is cheaper and supposedly has a better clean channel.

Most of the other amps that people have mentioned cost a lot more money than the Peavey though, so bare that in mind (budget?)... Also Marshalls wont sound as 'br00tal' as the 6505.

Yeah, figured it was the best thing to do, instead of only taking advice from the interwebz!

And yes, I've tried some Marshalls at an earlier stage (can't remember the exact model), and it was good, but not quite the sound I was after. And I'll see if I can find any Bugeras nearby, and if I do I'll probably give them a go. Though Norway isnt known for its fantastic collection of different amps. :p
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

'twas a 6505 Head, with a Blackstar 4x12" Cabinet, if I'm not mistaken. Quite sure it was that, atleast.

Ah, well in that case quality-wise you should be fine, tons and tons of pro bands use that amp (as well as the + version). The standard 6505 head differs from the 6505+ in that it has slightly more gain, its more bassy and lower mid focused while the + is more bright and higher mid focused. The + also has better cleans as well as separate EQ for both channels. Basically the + version is more versatile than the original.

(just some food for thought)
Quote by Kergash

Ah, well in that case quality-wise you should be fine, tons and tons of pro bands use that amp (as well as the + version). The standard 6505 head differs from the 6505+ in that it has slightly more gain, its more bassy and lower mid focused while the + is more bright and higher mid focused. The + also has better cleans as well as separate EQ for both channels. Basically the + version is more versatile than the original.

(just some food for thought)

Ah, I see. I'll probably go around some more, trying out some of the stuff you guys've mentioned (i.e. the bugera), and if I find a 6505+ I'll probably try it out as well. I've got loads of time, sadly, as I'll probably not be getting the amp until... well, midst of July, as the earliest.
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

Quote by AkiraSpectrum

Ah, I see. I'll probably go around some more, trying out some of the stuff you guys've mentioned (i.e. the bugera), and if I find a 6505+ I'll probably try it out as well. I've got loads of time, sadly, as I'll probably not be getting the amp until... well, midst of July, as the earliest.

trying out as many amps as you can is the best way to pick an amp because in the end only you know what you like/want. good to hear that you finally found something you really liked though (in the 6505).