13 38%
Don't buy
21 62%
buy stagg
0 0%
other
0 0%
Voters: 34.
I really want a peach telecaster right now but i don't really wanna save up for a 'real' fender. so i was looking at musiciansfriend.com and found a fender squier peach tele for like 150 w/ free ship. buy or don't buy?
Buy it. You can't go wrong with a Squier, even the Affinity ones are quite decent, though they have a slightly narrower neck at the nut.
squier, there's nothing wrong with them, alot of people get bumhurt whenever you compare the two but you'd be much better off with a squier and then upgrading the hardware and electronics if you need to. it doesnt matter where it's from, a slab of alder is a slab of alder.
People on here bash Squiers relentlessly, but I haven't experienced any of the problems with my Squier strat if any at all.
theres not any huge difference, but sometimes small things can get amplified once you start playing. try going to a guitar store and playing a bunch of fenders and a bunch of squires and see if you can feel any difference thats worth the extra money. 150 dollars is still a lot if you end up with crap
Look, squires out of the box are OK guitars - but they're cheaper for a reason.

I bought a squire tele last week from craigslist - BUT it had Fender vintage noiseless pickups installed, CTS pots, new switch and new input jack. It was a completely different sounding animal than stock - and VERY pleasant to listen to. Without those upgrades, it's just mediocre.

If you can deal with the weak electronics, go for it - you can always upgrade later. But to get a truly fine sound, you will have to upgrade.
Quote by Creeping_Kwano
it doesnt matter where it's from, a slab of alder is a slab of alder.

That's absolutely wrong. Wood quality is one of the most important aspects of guitar making, and one of the reasons for the huge difference in prices between guitars with similar specs and the "same" wood.
Sure you can get a decent Squier made of alder for 200$, and with a few upgrades and tweaks it can be a more than decent guitar for the money, but it'll never feel or sound like, for example, a Fender American Standard, which is also made of alder but it's very easy to see why it costs 1000$ more.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by Mahoru
That's absolutely wrong. Wood quality is one of the most important aspects of guitar making...

It certainly is, for acoustic guitars. But when it comes to solid body electrics, you just won't be able to tell the difference. There are great sounding plastic or even masonite bodied guitars, like the Dan Armstrong plexi guitar or the Danelectros.
As far as the stability of the wood goes, some of the frowned upon species are better than other, more "accepted" woods, like agathis vs. basswood.
Quote by Tinderwet
It certainly is, for acoustic guitars. But when it comes to solid body electrics, you just won't be able to tell the difference. There are great sounding plastic or even masonite bodied guitars, like the Dan Armstrong plexi guitar or the Danelectros.
As far as the stability of the wood goes, some of the frowned upon species are better than other, more "accepted" woods, like agathis vs. basswood.

Sure it's more noticeable on acoustics, but it's still one of the most (if not the most) important parts on electric guitars. There's a BIG difference, both feel and soundwise, between a Squier and a MIA Fender of supposedly similar specs
(Not saying the Squier is bad, I haven't even played the one TS's talking about, I'm just saying that it can't compete with higher end guitars for obvious reasons)
- Alhambra 5P
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Fit, feel, finish, and quality of the hardware would be the biggest differences.

It's very easy to get comfortable with the fit feel, finish of a decent Squier; however, when you get to play a nice Fender, you'll immediately notice where the extra $$$ went.

Through a decent tube amp, even the standard electronics and PUs and the lower quality body wood of a Squier can be made to sound decent; however, when you develop or evolve into a tone chaser, you'll immediately notice the differences, too.

Will your audience notice? Maybe, maybe not. Good Luck on your quest!

arent most squiers made out of agathis?

anyway...if you dont want a fender then get a squire. i love mine
I used to work at a shop that sold primarily low-end Epiphones and Squiers.

That guitar's not going to do you any good. The tuners slip out if you so much as bend more than a half step, the fretjob is just sloppy, and it isn't all that articulate. Which isn't to say there aren't gems; but if you can sift through Squiers, you can sift through a Fender to find a gem, which will generally end you with a better guitar in my experience.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Squire guitars are fine. Try playing the guitars you are interested in and see if you think the extra money is worth it to you. My Fender is better than my Squier but I still enjoy playing both.
the thing is, im not that advanced and throwing my guitar around. i have a stinkin peavy and its fine for me. that change your opinion anyone?
If you're not too serious about it I wouldn't recommend you to spend a lot of money on it, but well, if you can get something more than decent why not? Try out as much as you can to find out what you like, but I think a MIM Standard could fit your needs.
- Alhambra 5P
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by necrosis1193
I used to work at a shop that sold primarily low-end Epiphones and Squiers.

That guitar's not going to do you any good. The tuners slip out if you so much as bend more than a half step, the fretjob is just sloppy, and it isn't all that articulate. Which isn't to say there aren't gems; but if you can sift through Squiers, you can sift through a Fender to find a gem, which will generally end you with a better guitar in my experience.
WOW! Broadest generalization ... as in, you nuked it!

Quote by '93
arent most squiers made out of agathis?

anyway...if you dont want a fender then get a squire. i love mine
Nope! Some are Pine (Classic Vibe), some are Ash (MIK Pro Tone series - collectible now), some are Alder (Affinity, MIJ JV and SQ series from early '80s - very collectible in mint condition).

If you're going to get a Squire, get the "classic vibe" tele. You won't regret it. I much prefer it to the Mexican standard tele.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
I think you should try any guitar before you buy it. Go to a store and try out a number a telecasters in your price range and see if you like them. It gets easier to choose a good guitar as you become more experienced. If you are not very experienced it is more difficult to appreciate the difference between say a squire infinty and a Squire Classic vibe and it is also difficult to appreciate why an American standard tele may be even better. A very experienced player will find it much easily pick out the guitar which plays better. They may choose the Squire with a scratch and is blue over the peach one because the fret work is better and it is nicer to play. Play the guitar you are going to buy if you are confident in your abilty to choose a good guitar then buy what you like if you are not then take a more experience guitarist with you as it could save you a costly mistake.
Quote by Mahoru
That's absolutely wrong. Wood quality is one of the most important aspects of guitar making, and one of the reasons for the huge difference in prices between guitars with similar specs and the "same" wood.
Sure you can get a decent Squier made of alder for 200$, and with a few upgrades and tweaks it can be a more than decent guitar for the money, but it'll never feel or sound like, for example, a Fender American Standard, which is also made of alder but it's very easy to see why it costs 1000$ more.

yeah, also most squires are basswood or agathis, and the best fenders (IMO) are made of ash
Eh.
people say the squier vintage vibe or whatever are supposed to be nice. But I can't lie when I say my first guitar which was a squier strat, was and is a piece of garbage. An Ibanez Gio felt significantly better, and they go for pretty much the same prices, usually in bundle packs.
The Classic Vibes are good, the rest aren't. It is always worth saving up more and buying one quality guitar rather than buying something cheap now to make-do, then pay out again in another year or so for something else because your first pile of junk hasn't lasted. It is always overall cheaper and quicker to wait that little longer and buy something good once.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
A buck fifty isn't alot to spend on a guitar. If you've played one and it feels OK, I say buy it. A year from now, you can upgrade, and chances are you will have a better idea about what you want and be in a better financial situation to afford it then anyway.
Last edited by Rt1Rebel at Jun 11, 2010,
Bottom line is you will get bored of the squier in 3-6 months and want something new. It's worth it to take the time to save for the guitar you REALLY want