Hey guys, I'm currently working for the summer 3 hours away from my half stack and I am in dire need of a BADASS metal combo. Preferably over 20 watts, under 50. I've read some of the usual rec's but I never read past the text or looked them up. My budget is 200 and under but if its really rad I might go over. I need it for where I'm currently at and when I get home too because my half stack is at my guitarist/drummers place, and I need a lil box of awesomeness to hold me over for when we can't jam.

Any help would be sweet.
1979 YEAR OF THE HURRICANE BABY!
GSP Rush

GEAR (What I am currently using)
Guitar
Dimebag Darrell Signature ML
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
Peavey Vypyr?
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Wow orange combos are really god damn expensive! Peavey vypyr eh, I knew it would only take 1 response to get that one, I'll go look...
GSP Rush

Guitar
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
Does anyone here have any experience wit Randall combos? Just trying to get an idea here
GSP Rush

Guitar
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
ive owned a few randall combos(ss and a hybrid) they are great if you put a pedal in the front. never tried the tube combos though although im sure they are pretty damned wicked
Pissing people off since 1987

ESP/LTD MH 401 Stop tail
ESP/LTD MH 401 Floyd Rose
IBANEZ AM93 TKS
Rivera KnuckleHead Reverb
ISP Decimator
MXR KFK-1 10 Band EQ
When you say '200', I assume that you mean $200?

For that money, you won't get much.
For the price though, you can get a Vypyr which will sound better than a lot of amps in that price range and also do lots more things.

When you say Randall combos, you mean very cheap solid state Randall combos?
I would Imagine that they would sound like shit.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I have no time for imagination my friend! Your opinion is therefore useless!

The vypyr looks sweet, I'll probably get it, but its so boooooring. I wish I had a few more options, and like I said I could do 250 or 300.

Btw I could run my pedals through both combos, dunno if it would make it sound any better.
GSP Rush

Guitar
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
If you have no time for imagination, why are you a musician?

Also, I'm trying to help you, being nice, so don't be rude, there's no need.

In my opinion (which is what you asked for) a Vypyr is the best amp that you can get for $200 (assuming you mean $), which is why I suggested it.

You could run your pedals infront of any amp, yes, it'll make it sound different, maybe not better though, depends what amp and what pedals you have, distortion pedals don't tend to sound too great through solid state amps.

If you just want an amp purely for home practice though, pretty much anything will do, all the more reason to get a Vypyr, why do you think they're boring, if anything, they're as far from boring as an amp gets, with all their different features which are perfect for home use.

If you spend $300 dollars, you might be able to get a used 5w tube practice amp or something?
Quote by FuzzLove
If you have no time for imagination, why are you a musician?

Also, I'm trying to help you, being nice, so don't be rude, there's no need.

In my opinion (which is what you asked for) a Vypyr is the best amp that you can get for $200 (assuming you mean $), which is why I suggested it.

You could run your pedals infront of any amp, yes, it'll make it sound different, maybe not better though, depends what amp and what pedals you have, distortion pedals don't tend to sound too great through solid state amps.

If you just want an amp purely for home practice though, pretty much anything will do, all the more reason to get a Vypyr, why do you think they're boring, if anything, they're as far from boring as an amp gets, with all their different features which are perfect for home use.

If you spend $300 dollars, you might be able to get a used 5w tube practice amp or something?

Haha! You interpreted what I said as rudeness, I'm bored as **** at work but I am definitely not being rude to you. Maybe need to put more lols at the end of what I am saying

Anyways what I meant by imagination is that you said, "I would imagine they are shit" that was a bogus opinion on Randall combos, but thats neither here nor there we are here to talk about the vypyr...LOL

It does look sweet and I just checked the specs on it, sounds like it would be perfect. Guy over in Toronto is selling one that he has had for about a month for 200 OBO (I'll try 150). Looks like I might have found a good deal.

I have TS9 and ISP decimator (see sig) so those would be the pedals I would run if i did use them with the amp.

What I meant by Peavey Vypyr being boring is that it is always recommended a lot here, thats the only thing, it shouldnt have an affect on what I buy but for some reason I feel compelled to look at other options before buying it.

Anyways I think I'll probably go with it, I'm getting a buyers rush all of a sudden, or GAS as we would like to call it here
GSP Rush

Guitar
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
Right, winky/sticky-out-tounge faces are good to let people know it's a joke :P

Fair enough, I didn't just pluck that from thin air though, I recently played a couple Randall valve amps, not their top end ones, but still. I thought they sounded pretty bad, even for the money. That being said, along with the fact that solid state amps (especially cheap ones) don't sound good anyway, I doubt that a $200 Randall solid state amp will sound good.

They're probably decent enough just to practice with though, but I'd get a Vypyr.

You've got loads of options with it, amp moddelers, effects, and for what they are they sound awsome, much better than any other cheap modelling amp.

Nice, which Vypyr is the guy selling?

It's always good to look at all your options, i geniunely belive that the Vypyr is the best value for money in that price range though, wasn't just saying it because everyone does.

Awsome, go for it
It's the 30W Vypyr and the guy emailed me back and said he can split on 175 CND. The only thing is he lent it to his brother so if he isn't using it much he will sell it.

Btw have you had experience with Ibanez TS9 infront of a vypyr before? Oh and I won't need my ISP right?
GSP Rush

Guitar
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
Depending on what you're looking for soundwise, Randall solid state and hybrid combos are pretty nice.
Definitely worth trying.

EDIT:
Quote by MYNAMEDOESNTFIT
Btw have you had experience with Ibanez TS9 infront of a vypyr before? Oh and I won't need my ISP right?

I have.

Not a great idea. Even when you're using a clean amp model, the Vypyr doesn't like pedals very much.
Just use the on-board effects, they sound a lot better than putting pedals in front of it.

And yes, you won't need a noise supressor with the Vypyr.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jun 11, 2010,
I'm not sure how much Canadian dollars are worth in relation to US dollars, however if they are of a similar value, $175 is too expensive for a used Peavey Vypyr 30.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922869-i1413606.gc

There's a link to a brand new one for $199, not sure if they ship to Canada, but if they don't, there must be a cheap guitar shop in Canada that does?

I havn't personally used a TS9 with a Vypyr, but my educated opinion is that it will sound bad if you're using it as a boost. You won't need a boost anyway, it's a modelling amp with loads of gain. As for the decimator, probably not.
Quote by Linkerman
Depending on what you're looking for soundwise, Randall solid state and hybrid combos are pretty nice.
Definitely worth trying.

Yeah, dunno. I've always heard good things about Randall despite being SS. Plus a lot of the time I hear a band and look them up and when I find out they are using SS heads I usually think,"Wow that sounds pretty good". Plus I heard Devil Driver a year ago and it actually sounded great live. Definitely far away from 20W combo territory though. If I can try out a number of combo amps in similar money range before I try the Vypyr I will be pretty set on what I want to get.
GSP Rush

Guitar
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
Quote by FuzzLove
I havn't personally used a TS9 with a Vypyr, but my educated opinion is that it will sound bad if you're using it as a boost. You won't need a boost anyway, it's a modelling amp with loads of gain. As for the decimator, probably not.

Yeah a Decimator at practicing volumes is really only worth it if you have an effects loop (Don't care enough to check the Vypr) and can run it there and clean up the post-gain added fuzz.

I also think the TS9 wouldn't be necessary.

OP, don't buy it until you play it. Don't rule out Randall solid states, either just because someone here says he "imagines" they wouldn't be worth your time. Sound is subjective, now go out there and get an opinion.

Quote by MYNAMEDOESNTFIT
Plus I heard Devil Driver a year ago and it actually sounded great live. Definitely far away from 20W combo territory though.

They were using Mesa Triple Rectifiers when I saw them... what were they playing when you saw them, and what year was it?
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Last edited by `digitaL.braVo at Jun 11, 2010,
Haha yeah, I'm definitely going by the guitar shops and trying out every combo in my price range for my tastes. I think after that I will have a good idea of what I want. God damn I am so bored at work....

EDIT: Saw them last year, and I checked a youtube clip of them showing their rigs and it had Randall heads IIRC. They also use a bass string on the E string, thats badass!
GSP Rush

Guitar
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
Last edited by MYNAMEDOESNTFIT at Jun 11, 2010,
Quote by MYNAMEDOESNTFIT
Haha yeah, I'm definitely going by the guitar shops and trying out every combo in my price range for my tastes. I think after that I will have a good idea of what I want. God damn I am so bored at work....

That's exactly what you should do.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by MYNAMEDOESNTFIT
Haha yeah, I'm definitely going by the guitar shops and trying out every combo in my price range for my tastes. I think after that I will have a good idea of what I want.

Good idea.

You already have a good tube amp as your main amp right? So you know what sounds good anyway.
Quote by FuzzLove
Good idea.

You already have a good tube amp as your main amp right? So you know what sounds good anyway.

Quote by sargasm
Yeah, my main set up is in my sig as I've mentioned before so I know the key to good tone. It's all about SCOOPED MIDZ BRAH!
GSP Rush

Guitar
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
Quote by FuzzLove
Good idea.

PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
What? haha.

If he has a Peavey 5150 II as his main amp and he plays heavier music (which I assume he does with that amp) then he knows what good tone is, good tone for him anyway.

I don't see where FAIL or putting a mic infront of an amp head comes into it.
Quote by FuzzLove
What? haha.

If he has a Peavey 5150 II as his main amp and he plays heavier music (which I assume he does with that amp) then he knows what good tone is, good tone for him anyway.

Like I said, scooped mids brah!
GSP Rush

Guitar
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
Right, well, loads of people love that amp.

I don't personally, but people do, and that's up to them.
Quote by FuzzLove
What? haha.

Because it sure as hell seemed that you wanted to imply that only people who own high-end tube amps can recognize good tone.

But if i'm wrong, i apologize.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Because it sure as hell seemed that you wanted to imply that only people who own high-end tube amps can recognize good tone.

But if i'm wrong, i apologize.

I saw the same thing, so don't feel like it's only you getting that interpretation.
Quote by sargasm
No it is a great amp. After the honey moon period of playing my first tube amp I had to spice things up a bit. I added a TS9 and ISP. With the right EQ it can sound really well at loud volumes without getting too much hiss, only downside is that it is a widely used amp for a lot of bands that sound the exact same. The only reason I'd change amps is for that reason, to have a more unique sound, but even then just EQing it different can help too.
GSP Rush

Guitar
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
I didn't mean that at all, I just meant that he already owns a better amp than the one that he is looking to buy now and so he knows what tone he's looking for.

Reading my comment again though, I realise how it could have come across as that haha.
TBH I didn't see it come off the way the others thought and I was a little surprised by the comments. Funny comments nonetheless
GSP Rush

Guitar
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
Last edited by MYNAMEDOESNTFIT at Jun 11, 2010,
Haha yeah, I can see how you could have read it like that though.
Apologies either way.
Quote by MYNAMEDOESNTFIT
It's the 30W Vypyr and the guy emailed me back and said he can split on 175 CND. The only thing is he lent it to his brother so if he isn't using it much he will sell it.

You won't even need your TS9, the Vypyr has a tubescreamer stompbox built in.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.