I've been playing for 8/9 months. I currently own an Ibanez SZR520 been playin' it for 2 months or 3 (first electric)

Let's say Instead of wasting more money on a new one, does a not to expensive upgrade is worth it?

I'm not saying I'll upgrade it now, I bought it 3 months ago.

EDIT*** If so what upgrades should I make?
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
- Alhambra 2C Classical Guitar
- Tortex .88mm/Jazz III 1.38mm
- Elixir Nanoweb Strings (.009)
Last edited by Strat'z at Jun 11, 2010,
sometimes new pickups will do a good deal, but do your research, it might be better to get a new axe down the road and just stick with what you have now

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
Hmmm so a new guitar would be cheaper?
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
Pickups? Amp? Budget? Style?
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
i'd say stick with what you have if it works. wait until you have enough money to get one you wont have to upgrade again.
Sorry to say I don't know what pickups I have it came with the guitar.

Peavey Vypyr 30W - Amp
Budget - I'm not thinking of upgrading now maybe 6months afterwards but maybe 200/300euros max max
Style - Rock and Metal mainly but I also like Blues like Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
save up for a longer amount of time, upgrade at like 600-800 euros

thats just my opinion

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
lool 800 euros? the guitar cost me 500 xD
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
An upgrade in pick ups, tuners, nut, and bridge can all help a guitar out tremendously. IMO, if you like the guitar and enjoy playing it, it is worth upgrading. But, I would recomend checking out new guitars as well. If you can find something you like better than your current one, you should definitely shoot for that.
With this information I guess I should wait because this guitar is good for my ability to play,

I'm not a good player yet I'm gonna wait until I play well and then save money for a new guitar
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
So if you want a vastly better guitar you'll have to spend about 160% of what you did the last time. That actually makes a lot of sense...

However, the real question on this comes down to how much you like the way your SZR520 plays. If it "just feel right"in your hands, sitting or standing, etc. you should probably keep it and upgrade the electronics, which you should be able to do for less than 200 euros, no problem (unless you must have Gibson pickups, or something silly like that). Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, GFS, Lace, and others make pickups that are good upgrades on the stock models for $50-100 each. You could also look into Bare Knuckles (hand wound in the UK) but those tend to be significantly more expensive.

You can also change out the other electronics for very little cost (pots, switches, etc) and wire the guitar for things like tap coiling (using only one-half of a humbucker for a nearly single coil sound), phase switching (technically polarity reverse), etc. This way you could get some really beefy sounding humbuckers and then have it wired such that you could thin it out for blues or more country-rock sounding styles. None of this is terribly expensive if you have a soldering iron and do it yourself, but it does take a lot of time and a decent amount of research on sites like GuitarElectronics.com, and such...

Assuming you like the way it plays I recommend upgrading the guitar, having it properly set up, and maybe thinking about what pedals (overdrives, eqs, noisegates, fuzzes, distortions, etc) will give you the tones you're pursuing. Thanks to YouTube, online review sites like Harmony Central, and online stores you can probably find, research, and order an effect without ever having played it (I've done this a few times and have been extremely happy with the results, just make sure to check out most, if not all, the petals of the given type that you're after).
My rec is to wait and buy a Strat of some sort. Why....well you should be getting pretty close to LP tone out of that Ibby as it has a mahogany neck and body w/ maple top (prob just a veneer though) and a 24.75" scale length. By adding a Strat to your arsenal you would greatly increase your tonal capabilities.

There's nothing wrong with your Ibby and anything you upgrade will make just a minimal increase to making it better. Sure new pups will make it sound somewhat different....better, maybe...depends on what you like.

If you want to focus on your Ibby then I would look at increasing it's playability. What truly separates lower end guitars from higher end guitars is that the higher end ones are gone over with a much finer tooth comb. The nut will be properly cut, the frets will be level/dressed better, etc. The good thing is that this kind of stuff you can learn to do youself and turn just about any guitar into a very playable one.
Thank you for the information.

I'll wait XD
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
that's a good guitar imo. upgrade your amp before the guitar, when the vypyr isn't cutting it any longer.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Definitely save for a new amp before you get a new guitar, you're amp is a lot more important to you're tone than your guitar. You can still make a cheap guitar sound good at of a good amp. But even a good guitar won't really sound very good out of a crappy amp.
I don't know how much a euro is, but i say only upgrande when you have a guitar where the things that you cant easliy change are how you want them.
I'm sorry I seem to have missed the part where you were unhappy with your present setup and what that problem was.

Seriously stop telling the guy to upgrade his guitar. He's a beginner who probably thinking he should upgrade something to make his playing better.

I think you have made a wise decision by deciding not to upgrade your gear just yet as your asking us what to upgrade and so you don't have a particular problem with your setup.

In the future you may decide your not happy with your tone if this becomes the case I'd look into a new amp as this is where the majority of your tone comes from (I can't believe people havn't been saying this all the way through your thread). But until then stick with what you have as your guitar seems very decent and a pickup change would make very minor changes to your tone.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser Fr
Peavey 6505+ 112
Last edited by mikey_360 at Jun 12, 2010,
Quote by jaybals
a pickup change wont be much help with a digital modelling amp...

Totally false.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by mikey_360
I'm sorry I seem to have missed the part where you were unhappy with your present setup and what that problem was.

Seriously stop telling the guy to upgrade his guitar. He's a beginner who probably thinking he should upgrade something to make his playing better.

I think you have made a wise decision by deciding not to upgrade your gear just yet as your asking us what to upgrade and so you don't have a particular problem with your setup.

In the future you may decide your not happy with your tone if this becomes the case I'd look into a new amp as this is where the majority of your tone comes from (I can't believe people havn't been saying this all the way through your thread). But until then stick with what you have as your guitar seems very decent and a pickup change would make very minor changes to your tone.

Took the words from my mouth. The tone comes from your fingers and the amp..if you don't have a good amp then you won't get a good sound. That being said if you aren't placing your fingers correctly on the fretboard then you have no chance of getting a good tone..it's mostly in the fingers and the amp..

Let's be honest. Pickups do make a change...however it can oftentimes be negligible. Why spend $400 on pickups when you can put that money to buy perhaps a new amp or a higher-end guitar? Eventually you may come across that dream "axe" and wish that you didn't spend that money..I know this because I went through this phenomenon many times :P
Fender American Telecaster (60th Anniversary)
Egnater Rebel 30 Head/Cab
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station