Hey ive been playing guitar since september and have been going to lessons on it once a week for half an hour, i find that i havn't gained alot of knowledge at all from it on technique and theory, mostly my teacher just gets tabs for songs that he sometimes picks out that i dont even listen to and we just play along. Im looking for instructional Dvd's and/or books i can purcahse from a music store to help get my knowledge going. Im really into metal so techniques on that would be helpful. I listen to bands like Children of bodom, Lamb of god, In flames, Korn and like rhoads alot. I have bought tab books of LOG and COB and cannot play or understand well enought to play them. This is alot of information and im sorry i just really need to get off the ground and start my knowledge of guitar running. Hand techniques for playing, fretting properly, beginer scales and what i can use them for and just all about them. lol

-i dont need any level 1 guitar book as i understand that stuff like bends, hammerons, pulloffs, vibrato

Any advice is helpful! thanks all you guys or you can link me forum threads from here that explain that stuff!
"
Every band that is favored in the genre sells-out and commercializes... That's just the way it is :/"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
Quote by monobrow7
Hey ive been playing guitar since september and have been going to lessons on it once a week for half an hour, i find that i havn't gained alot of knowledge at all from it on technique and theory, mostly my teacher just gets tabs for songs that he sometimes picks out that i dont even listen to and we just play along. Im looking for instructional Dvd's and/or books i can purcahse from a music store to help get my knowledge going. Im really into metal so techniques on that would be helpful. I listen to bands like Children of bodom, Lamb of god, In flames, Korn and like rhoads alot. I have bought tab books of LOG and COB and cannot play or understand well enought to play them. This is alot of information and im sorry i just really need to get off the ground and start my knowledge of guitar running. Hand techniques for playing, fretting properly, beginer scales and what i can use them for and just all about them. lol

-i dont need any level 1 guitar book as i understand that stuff like bends, hammerons, pulloffs, vibrato

Any advice is helpful! thanks all you guys or you can link me forum threads from here that explain that stuff!

Firstly, you may understand those techniques you mentioned but that doesn't mean you can just leave them alone, I've been playing seriously for at least 4-5 years and I still pay attention to those things all the time, they may appear basic but they are also absolutely fundamental to sounding good.

Secondly, if you want knowledge about techniques read the stickies, they contain more information than you will know what to do with right now.

Thirdly, if you are dissatisfied with what your teacher is teaching you then bring it up with them, you're paying their wages so make sure you get your money's worth.

Fourthly, if your teacher is getting you to play songs you don't listen to there is probably a reason, have you thought about what these songs contain in terms of technique and knowledge? I dare say there is some method to the apparent madness.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Look in my sig.

Aside from all that, my advice is to pick out a few relatively easy songs that focus on a technique or idea you want to work on. For example:

Chord Transitions - Nutshell by Alice in Chains

So learn the song, and try and put your effort into getting those chord transitions nice and clean and fluid. Then pick another technique, and a song that utilizes it. If you get stuck on a technique then go to exercises. Once you feel a little bit more confident in the technique go back to the song.

Note: Learn WHOLE songs. Not just parts.
Invest in whole hour lessons. 30 minute lessons are lame, I give full hours and even if the person cuts it short, it's usually at least a 45 - 50 minute lesson.
Also, QUIT PLAYING TABS.
The reason you don't understand anything is because you're playing other peoples songs. You will never develop your own style, you won't have your own feeling, and you won't know what to do when someone asks to jam.

IT's stupid, stop doing it. Try writing your own stuff. Learn theory and techniques. Tell your teacher "I don't want to play tablature any more, teach me how to write my own solo or chord progression and strumming pattern".

Be your own musician, instead of like the 100,000,000 guitarists who can play For Whom The Bell Tolls with their penis. Write your OWN crap, play your own stuff, develop your own music and you will learn, keep playing tabs and the only thing you're going to learn is just that.
Tabs.
Marijuana is the spice of life.

I Force Choke my penis when I masturbate.

8)-~
little fun fact i know guys that go to music school that cant play LOG songs.
so dont be down on your self yet man.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
@Raven
this is a bit of an extreme statement. Unless what you are trying to do is copy other people, learning songs should only serve to expand your musical vocabulary. It will also help you learn how to incorporate more advanced techniques into your compositions. And, it gives you good examples of the application of musical concepts.

As for learning theory; I agree entirely. A lot of people will say that 'learning theory is pointless'. The thing is that regardless of what you think, any music you play is an application of theory. Knowing more about it can only improve your understanding of how music works, and what you can do with it.

Also, get the full hour lessons as Raven said. A half hour is hardly enough time to even get started.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Jun 11, 2010,
Well, UG has tons of lessons that can help you with techniques and learn some theory. Although there are some websites that specifically target at learning theory.
Also youtube has a variety of lessons about guitar that you can utilize for your own benefit. Its okay to play songs made by other artist but make sure that you have a style of your own, even if it does sound like a few artist slapped together in a blender.

there is a user on youtube named "Rockongoodpeople" and they have tons of videos for beginners and such.

Theory, well for me it comes in time. I gather a bit here and there and some comes naturally.
Quote by Raven*

Also, QUIT PLAYING TABS.
The reason you don't understand anything is because you're playing other peoples songs. You will never develop your own style, you won't have your own feeling, and you won't know what to do when someone asks to jam.

IT's stupid, stop doing it. Try writing your own stuff. Learn theory and techniques. Tell your teacher "I don't want to play tablature any more, teach me how to write my own solo or chord progression and strumming pattern".

Be your own musician, instead of like the 100,000,000 guitarists who can play For Whom The Bell Tolls with their penis. Write your OWN crap, play your own stuff, develop your own music and you will learn, keep playing tabs and the only thing you're going to learn is just that.
Tabs.

Quite possibly the most ignorant post I've ever read.
Quote by .Wretch.
Quite possibly the most ignorant post I've ever read.

You really haven't read much on these forums have you?

While it may come of as a little arrogant it's definitely worth writing and playing your own material from the very beginning when you pick up the instrument, I didn't and I regret it because songwriting is a skill that needs developing just like any other.

There is a huge amount of value in learning other people's material as well but one should never underestimate the value of writing your own stuff and learning how to write. Contrary to popular belief it isn't some god-given gift, it does need to be learnt and practiced.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by blooddrunk
Annoying signature

Annoying name^^
"
Every band that is favored in the genre sells-out and commercializes... That's just the way it is :/"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
it works differently for everyone but after I had about 10 lessons I stopped going and have been teaching myself ever since. I've found I have learnt so much more now that I've been teaching myself because I've been doing stuff I want to do and in my own time. Teaching yourself requires lots of practice and patience and it gives you a greater understanding on the music you are playing. Especailly when you start pulling the song apart. For instance instead of just playing yet another tab, work out what key the song is in, mess around with the song trying different chord varations etc. I've only been playing six months and I need some serious help with pull off's so may book a couple of lessons but yeah I would recommend teaching yourself as much as you can.
Helen x
ok i understand that everyone has the idea of "Make your own music", but the question im asking has only partly been answered, first off no one in the ****ing mind is going to pick up an instrument and just start off writing their own shit if they dont know any theory and techniques for the guitar, and doesnt know scales. Im asking for techniques and such so that i can write my own stuff but i have no idea how and im asking for books, dvds and links on it so that i acctually have some knowledge on it, and if i choose to learn tabs thats my own preference and it does expand your musical knowledge..., im not going to my teacher anymore as i dont think its worth the money which i could spend on books and dvds, the music he taught was Rage against the machines which just have the worst sound and weird annoying techniques mixed in, the scratching the strings for a solo? but thats my opinion.

-Thank you kcorkcar for answering the question with some depth
-Raven's comment was pretty ignorant
-Books, dvds that i can purchase that will help with techniques and scales and with helping me know what gear to purchase?