I'm looking into a new amp, specifically a Bugera 6262. It only has 2 channels, and I need to have a boost for a solo volume. I'm pretty new at this sort of stuff, and I was wondering if you guys could help me out a bit. Be ready for some noob questions

Would the best way be to just put the pedal in between the guitar and the amp? and then just turn it on when i need a solo volume/tone. Should i use the pedal on clean channel or lead channel?

Or since the amp has an effects loop, should I put the pedal in the effects loop. In that case, how does the effects loop work, and would it actually boost my volume?

Thanks in advance for the help
Ibanez prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Deltatone 5 string bass

Line 6 Valve HD100
Randall 412 XL with V30s
i would suggest a volume pedal since your amp's foot switch does not have a volume boost
Boost/OD/distortion/fuzz pedals go inbetweem your guitar and your amp, correct.

If you want to just boost the volume (maybe add a slight bit of gain) for a solo, then I would reccomend buying a good OD pedal, turning the gain nealy to zero, the volume/level to full, putting that inbetween your guitar and your amp, and turning it one when you solo.

Ibanez Tubescreamers (or clone) are good, standard boost pedals that many people use.

EDIT: You need the amp on the dirty channel before you turn on the boost.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Fuzzlove: If i do what you suggest, and buy a good OD pedal, would i just stay on the lead channel then, when i turn on the OD pedal for a solo?
Ibanez prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Deltatone 5 string bass

Line 6 Valve HD100
Randall 412 XL with V30s
what kind of music do you play? i leave my overdrive pedal on all the time while i play it drives the tubes harder.
Quote by xanubisx
i would suggest a volume pedal since your amp's foot switch does not have a volume boost

That's just stupid.

Quote by xanubisx
what kind of music do you play? i leave my overdrive pedal on all the time while i play it drives the tubes harder.

Just shut up.
Can't you read? He just wants to boost the solos.

TS, FuzzLove is right.
Just use something like an Ibanez Tubescreamer in the lead channel, dial low gain and high volume, and turn it on when your solo starts.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman

TS, FuzzLove is right.
Just use something like an Ibanez Tubescreamer in the lead channel, dial low gain and high volume, and turn it on when your solo starts.

Thanks. That's really what I needed to know
Ibanez prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Deltatone 5 string bass

Line 6 Valve HD100
Randall 412 XL with V30s
Yep, leave it on the lead channel and just engage the OD as you play your solo.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
correct me if i am wrong, but a Od pedal in the loop would not boost the sound right? it would only color the tone?
Quote by ikey_
correct me if i am wrong, but a Od pedal in the loop would not boost the sound right? it would only color the tone?

correct
So how does an effects loop work exactly. What is the point of it? I'm not really sure what it really does
Ibanez prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Deltatone 5 string bass

Line 6 Valve HD100
Randall 412 XL with V30s
Quote by cardiac_arrest
So how does an effects loop work exactly. What is the point of it? I'm not really sure what it really does

Personally, i use it to put modulation effects (like chorus, delay, etc.), after the amp's on board distortion.

EDIT: but it's also a good place to put noise suppressors, as they will remove all the unwanted noise until after the preamp itself.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jun 11, 2010,
Quote by cardiac_arrest

The effects loop puts pedals after the preamp, while just running pedals straight into the amp would put them before the preamp.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
At the risk of sounding stupid, what is the difference in sound/tone in before/after the preamp. And what does the preamp and postamp do?

This is totally different from earlier questions, but when people have power amps in a rack, what does it do?

I know this is probably really simple stuff, but I just wanna figure out when somebody says something, what they mean
Ibanez prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Deltatone 5 string bass

Line 6 Valve HD100
Randall 412 XL with V30s
I put my boost in my loop because I've found putting it in front doesn't really add volume, just gain.
Quote by cardiac_arrest
At the risk of sounding stupid, what is the difference in sound/tone in before/after the preamp. And what does the preamp and postamp do?

Personal preference.
It's a matter of [example:] "distorting the delay" or "delaying the distortion".

With pedals, you can choose if you want to put your overdrives and/or distortions before or after the modulation effects.

The FX loop lets you look at your amp's distortion channel(s) as pedals, and decide if you want the gain stages before or after your pedals.

Pedals in front of your amp will be affected by your amp's gain stages
while
Pedals in the FX loop will process your amp's gain stages output

I used the distortion/modulation as an example, but the concept is applied to every pedal you can think of.

EDIT:
Quote by Morgant
I put my boost in my loop because I've found putting it in front doesn't really add volume, just gain.

Have you tried setting your pedal gain to zero and its volume to the max, while in front of the amp?
Which boost are you using?
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jun 11, 2010,
Quote by Morgant

+1

Have any of you ever even tried putting a boost in the loop? It's the only way to add volume on a dirty channel. Putting it up front will just add gain. I swear this forum is made up of people with no experience with what they're giving advice on.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Have you tried setting your pedal gain to zero and its volume to the max, while in front of the amp?
Which boost are you using?

Well its just one of these guys:

i know for a fact that an overdrive pedal gives no volume in front of the pre amp all it does is drive your tubes harder

maxon od-808
Last edited by xanubisx at Jun 11, 2010,
Quote by mmolteratx
Have any of you ever even tried putting a boost in the loop? It's the only way to add volume on a dirty channel. Putting it up front will just add gain. I swear this forum is made up of people with no experience with what they're giving advice on.

I've done it in a Peavey JSX with my Boss OD-3, and it worked.
I just dialed the gain to zero and adjusted the level to taste.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman

That's just stupid.

Just shut up.
Can't you read? He just wants to boost the solos.

TS, FuzzLove is right.

funny how you said he was stupid for saying that, and then you go and give the same advice (to buy a tubescreamer and put it on low-gain) but just turn it on for solos.

Try not being a bitch sometime.
Quote by Tedward
funny how you said he was stupid for saying that, and then you go and give the same advice (to buy a tubescreamer and put it on low-gain) but just turn it on for solos.

Try not being a bitch sometime.

Why don't you try and learn to read?

What i said was stupid was what xanubisx said, getting a volume pedal.
And using an overdrive pedal all the time isn't the point. The point was to boost only during solos.

And if you're talking about FuzzLove's suggestion (Tubescreamer in low gain), i clearly stated that i agreed 100% with it.

Try not being a smart@$$ sometime.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
So much fail in this thread. You can use lots of pedals to achieve a volume boost, but if your amp has a master volume, you will need to run all of them in the loop to boost the signal AFTER your preamp, not the signal going into your preamp (that will only give you more gain assuming you're using the master to control the volume).

EDIT: ^ You CAN use a volume pedal, but it would have to be an active volume pedal, so stop being an assclown about it. ^

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
EDIT: ^ You CAN use a volume pedal, but it would have to be an active volume pedal, so stop being an assclown about it. ^

I'm not being an assclown. Even though you CAN use a volume pedal, using an OD/booster pedal is much more effective. (At least, in my opinion.)

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
So much fail in this thread. You can use lots of pedals to achieve a volume boost, but if your amp has a master volume, you will need to run all of them in the loop to boost the signal AFTER your preamp, not the signal going into your preamp (that will only give you more gain assuming you're using the master to control the volume).

And no. It doesn't need to be in the FX loop, if you just take your time to balance the amp's volume and gain with the pedal you're using.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jun 12, 2010,