I play pretty good riff rhythm guitar for metal and indie/alt-rock but I'm wanting to get more into lead solo's and stuff like that so what solo's would be good to start out on?

thanks!
Why not practice improvisation? I think that in many ways would be far more helpful.
I'm a musician/composer before I'm a guitar player.

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.
Pick a solo in the music you like and start learning it.

I guess ACDC has some good easy ones. RHCP does too. Or learn something like the solos in One.
The second solo in Metallica's "Fade To Black" isn't too horribly difficult.
Here are some easy solos:

Beatles - Day Tripper
Sum 41 - Machine Gun or In Too Deep
Arctic Monkeys - All You People Are Vampires
Ash - Starcrossed
The Buzzcocks - Oh Shit!
The Clash - White Riot
Dead Kennedys - Holiday In Cambodia
Fratellis - Whistle For The Choir
GOB - I Hear You Calling
Good Charlotte - The River
Green Day - St. Jimmy
Kaiser Chiefs - I Predict A Riot
Lenny Kravitz - Rock N'Roll Is Dead
The Libertines - Breck Rd. Boys In The Band
Muse - Dead Star or Plug In Baby
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Oasis - Morning Glory
Operation Ivy - Knowledge or Yellin' In My Ear
Specials - Stupid Marriage
Pigeon Detectives - I Found Out
Radiohead - High And Dry
Reel Big Fish - Beer
Snow Patrol - Run
Sublime - Santeria
Undertones - Teenage Kicks
Thanks for the tips! although I was think more along the lines of power metal solos (Blind Guardian)
If you like Kamelot, I suppose you could start out with some bits of the Nothing Ever Dies solo.

If you don't like Kamelot, you could do what I did. Start out with the Master Of Puppets solo (the fast one), take it REAL slow, practise it with a metronome 100% of the time you are trying to learn it. The solo sounds like some sick shredding, but it's not that difficult. Nearly a third of it is plain tremolo picking on one string, so yeah. Might wanna check that out.

With that being said, make sure that you also learn some slow solos. I could play the solo to Master fine, but the solo to Nothing Else Matters gave me some trouble. I find that slow solos can be just as hard, if not harder, as fast solos.
Yeah
Quote by Count Orlok
Why not practice improvisation? I think that in many ways would be far more helpful.

Yes, but learning from others is important. While learning, one should ideally consider the theory behind the solo too
Quote by Riffman15
yngwie malmsteen far beyond the sun..

if he's gunna copy someone elses solo might as well go for the top stuff
Since you're into power metal, definitely try The Burning of Rome by Virgin Steele. Even the fast part of the solo at the end is just four notes, so with practice you'll nail it.

I'm trying to learn it too, it's pretty cool.
How to Program a Metalhead ?
Although far from power metal I would recommend the solo from More than a Feeling by Boston. Yeah pffttt... I know you're all gonna say I'm on that Boston kick again!! Anyway the solo is super easy, shouldn't take long to learn and good for practicing hammer-ons and bends. Just give it a shot. Will also help with your theory since it's in the key of D and is pretty expansive up and down the fretboard on those notes although not as much as some other songs.

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
Quote by skywalker45
Although far from power metal I would recommend the solo from More than a Feeling by Boston. Yeah pffttt... I know you're all gonna say I'm on that Boston kick again!! Anyway the solo is super easy, shouldn't take long to learn and good for practicing hammer-ons and bends. Just give it a shot. Will also help with your theory since it's in the key of D and is pretty expansive up and down the fretboard on those notes although not as much as some other songs.

Dude Boston is awesome! Thanks for the suggestion.
Quote by bagpipemetal
Dude Boston is awesome! Thanks for the suggestion.

No problem man! When I first started playing melody I started with Boston since their stuff tends to stick to theory and is pretty easy. You won't be able to get their sound though but you'll get close. Cheers and have fun!!

Schecter C-1 Classic
Boston was a good suggestion - very melodic - but i've never considered Boston easy to play. you must be really good.

also - try the opening riff to "Welcome to the Jungle" with a delay of course - & then the opening lead lines of jungle you know before they do D - A - B -into the main riff - the lead is like a D string 7 to 9 fret then he slides down to the 2nd fret on the same string - listen to it -

also try the opening licks of paradise city - it's like 12 - 14 fret - st. with G string?

as an experienced rhythm guitar player - your biggest thing is going for the true feel of a solo - ya know - putting your stamp on it -

i saw Alexi Lahlo play some sick lick on some video clip and i was like - man. Metal guitarists today are amazing -

learn some scales blues pentatonic scale and dude, just stand there and play them over and over and over and over every day - for like 15-20 min. just shred on scales - then play lead guitar over these

in a couple months - your improvisation and phrasing will be light years ahead of where you were 60 days ago - you will feel like a rock GOD

practice get's you where 99% of us will never be - onstage in front of tens of thousands
Last edited by StevieRayHalen at Jun 15, 2010,
dani california- RHCP
time- Pink Floyd
comfortably numb-" "
hey joe- (hendrix's version)
iron man- black sabbath
paranoid- " "

those were some of the first full songs i learned
Quote by StevieRayHalen
Boston was a good suggestion - very melodic - but i've never considered Boston easy to play. you must be really good.

No I'm not really good. LOL! I just play what I like to listen to. Sure you can get easier than Boston but there's a lot of harder stuff out there as well. BTW your suggestions to the OP are right on!! I wish I had posted this instead of my post.

Schecter C-1 Classic
Power Metal is the best and there are many good songs for learning some easy solos.

Hammerfall - Riders on the Storm
Hammerfall - Carved in Stone
Sonata Arctica - Letter to Dana
Hammerfall - Dragon Lies Bleeding (doesn't have a full fledged solo, just a lead part that is fun to play near the middle)

I have been trying to master these recently and I am no where near being a great player.
ok.
i just remembered one of the easiest solos of ALL TYMES!!!

tWISTEd sIsTeR

"We're not gonna take it..."