I've been writing Muse/Radiohead influenced rock till now, and it's time for a change. What kind of songs should I write now? It's pretty much even in my mind, and I'll eventually do both.

So it's either

A) Punk
eg Green Day/Ramones/Sex Pistols

B) Death Metal
eg Nile, Necrophagist, Death, Morbid Angel

Yeah, I've got a pretty diverse/fckd-up taste in music.

It's a bit of a drastic change, but of those two choices, I say death metal.
Quote by teachmeviolence
Headbang until your head becomes detached from the rest of your body, then throw it into the crowd while you play a killer guitar solo. Trust me, it would be totally br00tal.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Whatever you feel like. Don't try to copy other bands, try to copy your mind into your music, no matter what genre it is. Don't let the genre fence bound you.

PS:

Death Metal and punk are closer than you think.
Quote by Hoffinator

PS:

Death Metal and punk are closer than you think.

True
Quote by teachmeviolence
Headbang until your head becomes detached from the rest of your body, then throw it into the crowd while you play a killer guitar solo. Trust me, it would be totally br00tal.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by ingames
Yeah, I've got a pretty diverse/fckd-up taste in music.

Not really, punk, rock and death metal aren't that far away. Start listening to classical, rap, country, japanese noise rock and eastern/african obscure genres and then you might have a diverse taste in music

Between those I'd go with neither. Try classical, but from the romantic and post-romantic period.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
The Clash style punk

/thread
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Jazz.

Mingus.

Your life will change for the better.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by TunerAddict
The Clash style punk

/thread

this and only this.
Be still my heart, I hear your back cracking...

...sounds like music to me
Death Metal. FTW.

Also get a little into modern death metal, not just Nile and Necrophagist. I'm sayin like Unearth and Behemoth.
h'wat
I cannot fit into your skin.
thats not diverse... at all...
id say stick with muse and radiohead.. haha. i hate both death metal and punk.. but i like emo music so of course i dont know anything about music and have no idea what im talking about
check out some progressive metal... look up sequoia throne or the dissentience by protest the hero.

it'd be a nice change and it's more unique than simply death metal or punk
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
I'd recommend looking into both, but please look into MELODIC Death Metal first. It's amazing. Seriously.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Quote by devilskommander
Death Metal. FTW.

Also get a little into modern death metal, not just Nile and Necrophagist. I'm sayin like Unearth and Behemoth.

You'll be needing this:

TS, if those are your only 2 choices, I would say death metal, it will help your technique and musicianship a lot more, in my opinion.
Quote by devilskommander
Death Metal. FTW.

Nile and Necrophagist are modern bands.

Unearth isn't death metal, either.

Listen to Entombed, Moondark, Old Funeral, or Asphyx for some good old school death metal.
Quote by SilentHeaven109
You'll be needing this:

TS, if those are your only 2 choices, I would say death metal, it will help your technique and musicianship a lot more, in my opinion.

I shallst raise my mighty Flameshield!
h'wat
I cannot fit into your skin.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I refuse to acknowledge meshing sub-genres together as a new style of music.

Your loss
Quote by ingames
I've been writing Muse/Radiohead influenced rock till now

But, they're not similar.
hello
Quote by devilskommander
I shallst raise my mighty Flameshield!

I personally don't care about genres, but death metal fans can get pretty offended when "fake metalcore shit" is associated with "true" death metal.

/massive yet mostly true generalisation.
I'm not an extremely competent musician. I can say I've developed my own sound and style, but I'm not up to extremely technical and complex stuff.

I've thought of either advancing my musicianship with death metal, or either do something punk just for fun, and be as lyrically free as possible.

Jazz fusion, maybe later. I've only got 2 years of teaching myself guitar and theory plus songwriting.
Write things to the best of your ability.

Songs based off complex theory are nothing without meaning.

"skill" is just a means of telling your thought through song. Your thoughts are what counts the most.
It might make more sense to go from Muse/Radiohead style music to death metal - both are more musically complex than punk. If you want to write more musically interesting songs I'd say death metal. But if you want prolificness write punk, I've written many punk songs but they're all incredibly simple.
Start listening to Experimental, and Noise rock. I would suggest some Sonic youth. Start with Daydream nation. Maybe some punk like television, black flag, the stooges( proto-punk but still worth listening to). Maybe you could also listen to some Jazz, and blues. Also listen to my bloody valentine, and Rage against the machine to get some ideas on other ways to make guitar sounds. Tom Waits, soundgarden, white stripes, velvet underground, and Lou Reeds solo work is worth listening to also. Maybe you should also listen to Mark Lanegan, and the Doors too.
Hope that helped you out.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"