I was playing these chords and they sounded great together, but I can't discern what key this would be in. My little but adequate knowledge of music theory is telling me this shouldn't work, so why does it? And also, what key is it?

|-----------------------0-------0--------|
|-----3--------3-------1-------0--------|
|-----2--------1-------2-------0--------|
|-----3--------2-------2-------2--------|
|-----1--------2-------0-------2--------|
|--------------------------------0--------|
BbMaj7 E7 Amin Emin
wow that does sounds pretty good, adding some chorus sounds good other than that im afraid i cant help
bIIM7 - V7 - i - v in A Minor.

Remember, Music Theory is NOT a set of rules. It's mean to describe why something sounds the way it does. Everything is possible in Music Theory.

The bIIM7 could be a non-functioning tri-tone sub. Everything else is pretty standard. OR it could be treated as a chord borrowed from the parallel Phrygian.
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Jun 11, 2010,
It's actually a pretty simple progression with a simple cadence. Your voicings are just seem unique.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
I'll give this a look when I get home and have my guitar in front of me.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Remember, Music Theory is NOT a set of rules. It's mean to describe why something sounds the way it does. Everything is possible in Music Theory.

Well it kind of is a set of rules. There's no rule about how you apply it though

Yeah though. In my experience you can play almost anything at any time. It's all about how you do it.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Jun 11, 2010,
It's fairly close to a bVI6 - V7 - i - v.

ie. F6 - E7 - Am - Em.

The bVI is often used to lead to a V7 (eg. Stairway To Heaven).
i give this progression my own personal "hooray" and add that with a bit of reverb it sounds ratehr sexy. adding to the chorus Nirvanafanjohnny already suggested.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Well I'm glad many of you are enjoying it. Its funny how something can sound so simple yet be so complicated theory-wise. So from what I gather the key is A min?
Quote by rhcpfan93
Well I'm glad many of you are enjoying it. Its funny how something can sound so simple yet be so complicated theory-wise. So from what I gather the key is A min?

Without a doubt.
Yeah I could definitely replace the Em with another E7 and that could lead into a C6... I like that a lot!
Quote by rhcpfan93
Yeah I could definitely replace the Em with another E7 and that could lead into a C6... I like that a lot!

E7, or E, which gives the option of harmonic minor for some spanish flair. Don't have a guitar with me right now so I'm not too sure how it sounds.