Poll: Which GIBBY??
Poll Options
View poll results: Which GIBBY??
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
12 80%
Gibson Les Paul 2008
3 20%
Voters: 15.
Which one is the best?? I was thinking maybe the Traditional, since it isnt chambered. I played a standard about 4 years ago and LOVED it, but obviously, the pre-08 standard is now the Traditional.
I will be getting a Heritage Cherry Sunburst either way, and like alot of flame. From what I've seen and heard, the Traditional has more flame to it. I also heard that the Standards don't have AAA tops anymore.

Overall, which is better??
Last edited by Don Quixote at Jun 11, 2010,
both are great guitars, it really comes down to your personal preferance, in a situation like this when you're buying a guitar that is most likely going to cost $2k+, make sure it's the guitar that you like and you're happy with, not what people on the internet like. Really only way to decide is to go play them both. With that said I didn't vote for either.

If i'm not mistaken the Standard costs about $500 more than the Traditional??? But what are the real differences? Don't they both use '57 classics with coil taps?
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 11, 2010,
Quote by Don Quixote
Which one is the best?? I was thinking maybe the Traditional, since it isnt chambered.

Are you sure?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional/Specs.aspx

It says: "Weight Relief: Traditional style weight relief". For the 2008 it doesn't list any kind of "weight relief".

Also, the 2008 has stuff like Tone Pros Locking Stop Bar and Tone Pros Locking Tune-O-Matic Style bridge and Locking Grover Keystone tuners. The Traditional has Kluson tuners and regular stop bar and bridge.

The pickups are also different, the Traditional has '57s, the 2008 sports Burstbucker Pros.

The neck profiles, the knobs, the truss rod covers are different as well.

Les Paul Traditional

2008 Les Paul Standard
a pre-2008 standard like mine =-)

although the serial number does say its made in 2008 i love how its actually a pre-2008 standard design! xD

but as it is now i'd go with the standard for the hardware but traditional with the weight relieved instead of chambered.

standard has burstbuckers 3's and the traditional has '57's(?)
not sure about that one but something like it

i love how the 2008 standard has locking tuners and the input jack holding the plug attracts me although i'd need to play to see if it really is that good.

anyways; be your own judge, what sounds good to me can sounds bad to you and vice versa.
Quote by Tinderwet
Are you sure?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional/Specs.aspx

It says: "Weight Relief: Traditional style weight relief". For the 2008 it doesn't list any kind of "weight relief".

Also, the 2008 has stuff like Tone Pros Locking Stop Bar and Tone Pros Locking Tune-O-Matic Style bridge and Locking Grover Keystone tuners. The Traditional has Kluson tuners and regular stop bar and bridge.

The pickups are also different, the Traditional has '57s, the 2008 sports Burstbucker Pros.

The neck profiles, the knobs, the truss rod covers are different as well.

Les Paul Traditional

2008 Les Paul Standard

Well, I knew the Traditional was weight relieved, which means to drill small holes in various places to lighten it, but I believe the Standard 08 is literally chambered.
nevermind, go with the Traditional. In my experienve the '57 Classics sound slightly better than the burstbuckers pros. If if was one of the other burstbuckers it would be worth it, but the pro's just don't sound all that great to me. The '57 classics aren't the most amazing pickup ever but they get the job done.
Quote by Don Quixote
Well, I knew the Traditional was weight relieved, which means to drill small holes in various places to lighten it, but I believe the Standard 08 is literally chambered.

Sorry then, I didn't know that. As far as specs go, I like the locking stuff, not sure about the asymmetrical neck... and the 2008 is plekked. The differences just ain't worth the $500 though.
Quote by Tinderwet
Sorry then, I didn't know that. As far as specs go, I like the locking stuff, not sure about the asymmetrical neck... and the 2008 is plekked. The differences just ain't worth the $500 though.

This is pretty much the bottom line
Play them both and pick the one you like the most. Play lots of them as there can be differences even with the same model. At the end of the day only you can decide which one you like the most. Play lots of different models and brands of guitar too, for the amount of money you are about to spend you really need to find the best guitar for you even if that is not a Les Paul.
Les Pauls shouldn't be chambered or "weight relieved" - just say 'no' to Gibson's overweight wood cost cutting schemes.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Neither is 'the best'. They're made to the same standard but have significantly different features. The neck profile on the Standard in particular is quite polarising, some people love it and other people find it unplayable.

Try them both, see which one you prefer once you've actually played them. Simples.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I went through the exact same dilemma that you spoke about.

In 1994 I bought a Les Paul Standard. To me, that is the Les Paul Standard that all future Les Pauls will be judged. I wanted a replacement of this guitar.

I emailed and talked with my Sweetwater sales rep until we had used every possible word to describe the tonal differences between the two. I went to my local Sam Ash and I played the 2008 and before I even plugged it in, it just didn't FEEL right.

Remember, I am used to that '94 and to me, that is what I wanted. The 2008 is so much lighter that it didn't feel right to me. Sound wise, yeah, it was a pretty sweet guitar, but I wasn't looking to buy a 'pretty sweet guitar' I was looking for the LP I had years ago.

The Les Paul traditional was also eliminated for me. It felt like my old LP and it sounds 'similar' but it came down to the pick guard. The pick guards are factory installed now, so you cannot get one without it being on. I don't want to pay $2000 for a guitar with a hole in it.

After going back and forth I decided that since what I wanted was a replacement of my '94 I would just find the best possible used early 90's LP. I have sampled a bunch and I am still looking, but the point of my story is simple: you need to know what you want out of an LP.

If you want the experiment and future of the LP, then the 2008 is a great sounding guitar that looks like the LP. It can give you the tones that you associate with an LP and if you don't have a prior idea of what an LP should feel like, then it is great. It feels like a strat in an LP body and if you gig, that is incredible.

If you want that feel of the 90's LP, then the traditional IS the standard prior to the 2008 LP standard. Most people say that Gibson has been weight relieving for years so that isn't so much an issue.

If you want an authentic 90's LP, welcome to my world of searching for that perfect guitar and not having instant gratification.

I hope this helps because I was where you are.